Yorkshire river barbel records fall

I

Ian Cloke

Angling: Yorkshire river barbel records fall Nov 3 2005

By The Huddersfield Daily Examiner

REMARKABLY, in the space of a couple of weeks, the barbel records on two of Yorkshire's most popular rivers have been broken.

David Chambers, from Leeds, topped the previous River Wharfe record by 4oz after pre-baiting his swim for two days before the session that saw him bank a specimen of 14lb 8oz.

The ground bait was a strange concoction of birdseed, sweetcorn, halibut flavoured pellets, hemp dog biscuits and chopped worms which had been left to ferment for a fortnight!

Using hair rigged dried pellets from the mix on the hook, the fish was taken shortly before dark and came from the only bite of the day. The 40-year-old commented: "The fish wouldn't come back from downstream so I had to give chase. I got cut to ribbons going through the dense undergrowth to make sure I could net it, but it was worth it."

The record-breaking specimen fell to the Barbel Society member on a stretch of the Wharfe near Tadcaster and beats the previous record of 14lb 4oz set in November last year.

Meanwhile, over on the River Swale, Daniel Meek was delighted with a 13lb 8oz barbel which set a new river record.

The North Yorkshire slaughterman, visiting the river for only the third time, hooked the fish on only his second cast of the day from a stretch near his home.

The 26-year-old beat the previous record, also by 4oz, and commented:

"I landed it after a brief but spirited battle and within seconds of getting it in the landing net the hook came out. I had to get another angler to look after it in the net while I ran back to my car to get my camera."

The barbel fell to home-made paste offered on a size 8 hook to 10lb breaking strain line.