pop-ups

• Thread starter christian tyroll
  • Start date
C

christian tyroll

hi,
ive got some strawberry and cream frank waricks pop-ups!

but i have a few questions on how to fish them,

what hooklinks should i use? braid,fluro,mono?

does having the lead only inches away from the bait put the fish off?

how far should i fish it off the bottom?

and do they need to be used in conjuction with strawberry boilies (as in freebies)!

any help would be great thanks,
christian

Reaction score
Hi Christian,

Have a look here...

http://www.coarse-fisherman.co.uk/tuition/basics/faq_rigs.shtml

Sorry you'll have to cut and paste, haven't sussed links yet.

You can use pop-ups with mono or braid rigs. At this time of year when there is a lot of leaf litter at the bottom of many lakes, the pop-up can offer distinct advantages over conventional bottom baits.

Pop-ups can be presented on their own (with no loose feed) or in conjunction with any flavour of boilie/ pellet/ groundbait/ particle bait.

If you are on a budget, I would suggest you forget the expense of buying matching boilies and use a cheaper alternative such as hemp or pellets instead. Once a fish is feeding in your baited area I have no doubt it will pick up your hookbait too.

Many anglers prefer to use the same flavour as it matches the rest of the feed and may be less likely to spook a fish, however as with much in angling this may just be a confidence thing. I have had success with many different combinations of hookbait/ freebie.

Hope that helps

C

christian tyroll

thanks ****y,
would flurocarbon be to dense to allow the pop-up to float?

C

christian tyroll

i just testes it in the washing up bowl it worked and looked good!

but if i used esp anchor rig tubing would that be heavy enough not to use a spit shot (im thinging of getting some anyway to help the bolt rig effesct and for camoflague) ?

ByNasty

Reaction score
I use flouro with no probs mate. I'm not sure how you intend to use the rig tube but i would say stick to shot and use the rig tube behind your lead to pin the main line down and stop tangles. I'm guessing you are on a tight budget so I would say a fair bet for fishing a pop up would be to by some cheap pellets (trout pellets are as good as any and are pretty cheap) then soak a few handfulls of them for a bit in a small ammount of water till they go mushy. Squeeze this around your lead or a small method feeder and fish with your pop-up coming straight up off the feeder about 6-8 centimetres. You should be able to make a kilogram of trouties last a few sessions doing this as long as you only make up small ammounts of mix each time and keep making more throughout the session. You could also add some corn in with the pellets for some variety and add the juice in from the tin. This set up has caught loads of fish over the last few years so as long as you get it in the right spot you should be fine matey.

ByNasty

Reaction score
If you are using strawberry ones try adding a bit off strawberry angle delight or nesquick in the mix.

F

Frothey

i'd be careful not to damage the flouro with split shot, be very careful using it, or use solars depth charges (or a bit of silicon and plumbing solder)

C

christian tyroll

thanks by-nasty
i thought instead of buying pinneaple boilies id just buy some srawberry ones to fish around my pop-up !

frothey i was going to put the spilt shot a few inches down the line to set the height the pop-up floats at!
that shouldnt damage the pop-up should it?

F

Frothey

that depends on the ph of the bait, you could set up an electrical field between the lead and the pop-up, and it might explode (ever seen lots of fizzing over your bait, reel in and theres no bait left?) make sure the split shot is the EXACT opposite ph of the bait to counteract this, or put an earthing strap on it.

as a thought, the split shot might damage the flourocarbon if its squeezed on too tight though.

ByNasty

Reaction score
Frothey, don't give the game away! Let him discover the self destructing electro-acidic properties of your average anti-gravitational hydro-bouyant nutritional piscine parcel for himself like the rest of us had to!

Froths right about the shot on the flourocarbon Christian it can damage it a bit. You could either make a pop-up weight as he suggests or thread a bit of silicon onto the hooklength then pinch the shot on that. Or pop straight off the lead but conceal the lead with method mix or a bag of mixed delights.

njb51

Reaction score
Your not still using those electro-field pop-up rigs are you?!?!

Got rid of them ages ago as they kept messin with me sattelite navigation gps fish finding device!

I'm on those new hyper-drive module powered solar systems now.

Try using tungsten putty on the fluorocarbon; it won't damage it and can be moved or taken off easily. You can also change the amounts you put on.

Something like this:

Kryston Heavy Metal

C

christian tyroll

thanks every one!
that putty looks good i might get some!
frothey so does the ph of the split shot react with the pop-up?

W

William Spencer

aren't the ingredients of boilies made with human grade ingredients?therefore the ph should be neutral?

C

Cakey

Im a knotless knot bottom bait man ,pop ups never been any good to me except for popped up sweetcorn !