Which way of fishing do you prefer?.

Liam Neill

Reaction score
I dont know how to start this forum off but, which way of fishing suits you best?.

Is it the 21st century way with all this technology e.g fishfinders etc. or the 20th and later ways of fishing I.E looking through the stretch of river or lake to find the fish.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have attempted and have also been successful at every style of angling you can name. Which odd exceptions, I have never run down any angling technique.

I have used fish finders, sat for days with bolt rigs and trailed lures and flies behind boat for hours on end. However untimately I have a tendency to prefer angling techniques that take great skill.

And the most skilfull of all angling techniques involve the fishing of nymphs for stillwater trout, the working of lures for predatory fish such as pike and bass and the trotting of a float for quality roach on a river.

And yes, I prefer the hunting of fish any day to the setting of traps.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I too have tried most of what is available in the fishing world. The exception is big game fishing for which I have neither the time or the inclination.

Just recently I've rediscovered the pleasure in fishing a light float close in for fish that are small by national standards, but good locally. It's nice to fish locally to avoid traffic and fuel costs. It's also nice to travel relatively light rather than lugging mountains of gear around.

It's also nice to do something that's your own idea, rather than following the fashions.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I like your approach Ric.

If there are three species of fish which test your cunning and guile with their own cunning and guile and need great skills to catch them, they are chub, roach (quality ones) and wild brown trout on the fly.

And the last thing I would ever want to do is to attempt to catch trout on methods other than the fly. It wouldn't seem right and proper.

I would like to add bream, but quite honestly, shoal sized bream up to 5 lbs say, can be ridiculously easy to catch at times. Big bream, as Graham will tell you, are a different matter.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good thread Liam.

I agree with Chav' my fishing style has adapted to meet the needs.
I swore I would never use carp gear on the river, but now I do...! Times change, stay with it or get left behind....!
I do still love to trot a float through, I was brought up on it, roach, chub, dace and perch I still love them all.

If I had to make a choice I wouldn't, couldn't, I'm on the fence.....!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think that traditional is best, because it is less destructive in the long run.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Modern methods equate to -:
Jacko has caught a big barbel, Jacko has caught a big carp, I want one, and I want one now!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Deatructive to what Baz, the fish or the angler?

Liam Neill

Reaction score
Me myself agree with Chavender and Dog Biscuit,
After all if you or i was setting out to catch a trout on a small river you wouldnt want to go un and down the river with bait boats and 2.5 TC rods, am i right?.

its the same with every other type of fishing isn't it.

Dave Mcfluffchucker

Reaction score
me i fly fish for everything now mainly predators but such a good method gone are the days were i could hardly walk through all the gear i had to carry now i can covers miles of loch with just a flyfishing waistcoat a few fly boxes i can be ready to fish in mins and catch alsmost anything that swims a better method i cannot think of and its really opended my eyes to how fish behave wonderfull

dave mcfluffchucker
(a cave in scotland)
http://groups.msn.com/pikeandpredatorflyfishing
http://pikeandpredatorflies.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
http://uksaltwaterflies.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Dave, I spent about 18 years of my life with virtually only a fly rod in my hand. The fish I caught on the fly, I will never forget.

Let me think.

British species:

Pike, Brown trout, rainbow trout, seatrout, perch, carp, chub, rudd, dace, bleak, roach and gudgeon.

Rest of the world:

Large and Small mouth Bass, some 14 different species of Barbus, some 6 different species of Tilapia, two species of catfish, carp, Tiger Trout, Brook Trout, Rainbow and Brown Trout of course, Tigerfish, Bluegills, Crappy, Chessa, Papermouth, Mudfish, Mud Mullet, Mullet, Some 18 species of coastal and estuary species........

A heck of a lot of different fish, including many big ones.

Yes, without doubt, fly fishing is one of the deadliest methods of catching fish ever invented.

It's also one of the cheapest.

Dave Mcfluffchucker

Reaction score
easy alan i use small bloodworm patterns with a fast sink line and twitch them over the bottom i also use maggots that are made with elastic bands the trout anglers up here hate me because maggots are banned but it says nothing about ones made with elstic bands (stuck up sods) its only because i catch more than them ha ha
tight lines

dave mcfluffchucker
(a cave in scotland)

http://groups.msn.com/pikeandpredatorflyfishing
http://pikeandpredatorflies.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
http://uksaltwaterflies.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Alan, from my side - by accident!

There is a great deal of snobbery and prejudice attatched to the art of fly fishing.

I think we should start a new thread on this subject.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Wow. I know that gudgeon CAN feed by sight, because I've caught them well off the deck while trotting (the chub must have bribed them, knowing I'd think I was at full depth, and would waste hours fishing too shallow), but I can never quite convince myself that they WILL!
Great stuff. Another entry on the "to do list!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Every kind of fishing for me as long a the tackle is balanced for the fish. As some of you know the Trent fish in last July saw me catch some nice Roach but i can not count them as the gear was overpowered. Using 2Ib rods size 8 hooks and 4oz of lead is not river roaching what i would have given to have had my stickfloat rod with me.