Ron Clay...Barbel...Boilies...

S

Stewart Bloor

Opening up the September copy of Angling Star, I read Ron Clay's column, where he is talking about his barbel fishing on the Trent...

''I have been using trigga boilies from Nutrabaits recently''

Goodness me, what's the world coming to? Come on Ron, at this rate you'll be bivvying up and using bite alarms...get a grip man...

R

Ron Clay

Stewart,

Get hold of a copy of A History of Carp Fishing by Kevin Clifford. Look up page 155.

You will see there that I was using bolt rigs long before they were conceived in UK.

M

Malcolm Bason

Sorry - personally I refuse to believe it!! There must be two Ron Clay's - AAaaarrgh!!!! (Sorry Ron he he he)

S

Stewart Bloor

Ron, rumour has it that the only bolts you have are the ones sticking out the side of your neck...

Do you still use the psued...pseu..psuden...alias 'Frankie Stein' when penning articles?

R

Ron Clay

No there aint two of me. I was using bivvies, bolt rigs, boilies (we didn't call 'em this) and adaptations of the hair before some of you were born

P

Philip Inzani

Hhhmmm not having a go Ron but I wish I had a quid for every time I heard someone claim to have used an early version of the hair way before Maddocks and Middleton came up with it....you know the sort of thing, someone claims that cave painting found in outer Mongolia clearly depict Ape men using an early version of the Shimano baitrunner and electronic buzzers (with blue LEDs) for bite indication. (-:

R

Ron Clay

And because of this I now bow out of this discussion.

Except by saying there's nothing new under the sun!

D

Dave Johnson

Ron was using nuts and bolts as ledgers just before he unofficially invented the Arsley bomb.....LOL

by the way Ron, what size will we need to hold bottom next Friday?
Dave

R

Ron Clay

Flattened Fox or Korda leads between 2 and 3.5 oz. If you wish to use a feeder I would suggest a goodly supply of "dead cows" up to 2 oz

P

Philip Inzani

Ron! Sorry mate, I get the impression I have upset you...it was not intended like that.

R

Ron Clay

Of course you havn't upset me. The formation of the techniques of modern carp fishing is a fascinating story. When I retire I intend to write a book about it.

These days I do very little carp fishing, mainly because I did so much of it in the 70s. Lot's of people think I'm ant- carp. I'm not. I still get a kick out of catching fish off the surface.

As Barrie Rickards says in the latest Angling Star I do tend to be a bit of a wind up merchant. But I never intend any harm. Just like to get people talking.

R

Ray Bewick

Ruddy right Ron, young scamps shouldn't be allowed out fishin' until they have split & planned Tonkin, plaited horse hair & skinned cats.
However, it must be said Ron, that resorting to (I believe the youngsters call them 'boiled paste baits') is taking a step too far; good god man, whatever next, you'll be saying you've caught fish next!.

Yours with tongue firmly in cheek.