Sunday 9 /1 /2011?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Went out today instead. The Swale was up about a foot with a nice bit of colour, but oh so cold (2C). Strong downstream wind made float fishing impossible so it was a small feeder with mash in it and flake on the hook.

I got bites, but couldn't hit them no matter what I tried. In desperation I switched to maggot and the bites suddenly became hittable. Finished with 2 chub around 3lb.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I had been looking forward to the match today at Gold valley all week but it turned out a total anti-climax. Despite scaling down to 1lb hooklink to a 22 hook with single dead pinkie I had just 2 bites , ended up with a 3oz perch and lost a similar one. the carp, roach and skimmers were not having it at all..
Oh well there's always next sunday, on the Thames:eek:

swindy

Reaction score
Went to a stretch of the Mo;e thiss morning near Cobham. The river had burst its banks and was flooded for a good 30 feet across the fields and impossible to fish.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Oh well there's always next sunday, on the Thames
Well let's hope it better than today.

I went down with barbel only gear to find the river was overlapping the concrete apron for much of the length. I tackled up to fish the more likely end, but the weed debris coming down and the power of the river just drove the bait into more willow moss on the deck such that every time I brought it in after just two minutes it looked like I had Frankie Howerd's toupée on the end.

Eventually I lost my bait and decided to quit. Total fishing time - about 15 mins.

Did I catch? Don't even ask! :mad: :mad: :mad:

rother

Reaction score
Went to the don in rotherham on the stick for a couple of hours and didnt have a bite. It was well up and tramming through

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
After two blank sessions on the Rother I opted to fish Local lake that was.part thawed
Fished for 3 hours on maggot and got occasional bites but none that resulted in a fish
Tried float and feeder

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Fished on the Wharfe - light quiver tip rods with groundbait feeder - double maggot on one and a small redworm on another - not a bite.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Stu and I spent a few hours on the Swale today (Sunday). River up higher than Saturday. Lamprey ignored. Maggots ignored.

Filmed some nice cut-aways.

Battery died in my stills camera.

Somehow I lost the tip out of my quiver rod while walking to the river - spent an hour searching for it to no avail - so sadly I didn't even wet a line.

Early bath for us.

Not a great day for fishing but great to be out there.

Bob
Bob Roberts - Fishing information for the complete angler

flightliner

Reaction score
River trent up to the banktops almost and 35degrees. Tramming thro and lotsa debris.
Last thursday was really good with the float gear.May be back later in the week in my shorts as the weather forecasts 11 degrees. whoo whoo!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have been walking the dogs for the last couple of days along the river Lea/Lee, not in great shape, so i didnt even bother thinking about fishing it this weekend.

Will give it ago during the week, last couple of hours and into dark. We have had alot of rain, and even walking the dogs around the lakes the fields are soaking, with water laying on the surface.

chav professor

Reaction score
River too high. persiviered for a few hours then packed in fishless. I hate it when work gets in the way of my life - it will be perfect come tuesday....:(

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I said a while back that the rivers could be out of sorts for weeks and got poo-pooed. The air temps may be better but the water is freezing and full of tom tit.It will be a while yet before they warm up enough I think. I am fit to pop but I'm not fishing because I just dont think its worth it yet.

But I might pop out for a few hours this week though not on running water.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I said a while back that the rivers could be out of sorts for weeks and got poo-pooed. The air temps may be better but the water is freezing and full of tom tit.It will be a while yet before they warm up enough I think. I am fit to pop but I'm not fishing because I just dont think its worth it yet.

I agree - the ground is frozen solid - even with mild weather it's going to take a long while before decent fishing kicks in. There's all that salt to get rid of as well.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score

Yep you did say that Skippy, but this isnt to do with thesnow, this is just the rain we have had over the last week,, didnt stop here at all Thursday and Friday.

Will get out Wednesday and give the bread a go, if i get no fish, I can feed the ducks at least.....:)

waggy

Reaction score
Went to my latest 'target water' in N Anglesey to see about those 3 lb Perch I've been told about. As I said, my goldfish told me it would be alright but they didn't tell me how cold it would be. After 2 hours, 2.30-4.30, I'd had 6 small perch in the last 20 mins on red maggots but nothing on my new hair-rig lobworm set up. Incredibly there was a hatch of miniscule, smutty black fly and the Rudd were going mad for them on the surface.
When my nidgets crept back up into my body cavity for warmth I decided I'd had enough fun for one day and jogged back the mile to the car in the dark. All good fun.

danielp8601

Reaction score
Went chasing grayling on the Hampshire Avon near Salisbury on Sunday, bloody hard frost in the morning turned into a relatively warm day. The water on the other hand was high and still rising and very coloured. Not exactly ideal but it was my first coarse fishing trip for a good few years and i was intent to make the most of it. Finished with a grayling, a decent brownie (will be back for him in May) and a couple of dace, all caught trotting on the stick. Enjoyable day but cant wait for the river to improve!!

Dan