• Start date
W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Caught from *********

<a href="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/breamslime/eel.jpg">Eel

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
God knows where, but that's not a carp net and the bloke looks foreign.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Warren.
In your first article on fishing for eels with Andy Nellist, I think you said the water you chose to target did not have a track record for eels.
what was it that made you and Andy think that this particular water held any eels, let alone the standard of eels that you were both catching.

ByNasty

Reaction score
f**k me! that's the stuff of my nightmares! is that definitely a genuine photo? It does look pretty convincing.

W

Baz, i got some vague info just over a year ago that the place had in the past, done the odd fish. Its little fished and most times its only the odd Carp angler on it which suits me (and probably Andy) fine.

Graham, thats the new Mega Eel net that we should have on the market soon.

;o)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You don't need a rod with that one, just sweep it through the water!

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Baz, we got tickets to fish for the Bream that had been seen by the carp anglers but not caught. I mentioned to Wol at the time that if it had been well baliffed and neglected it might prove to be a decent water for Eels.

I've described the feeling I had about the water when I walked round it again for the first time in 20 years. I decided immediately to fish it for Eels on that hunch which very quickly proved correct. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

The net in the photo is the net mentioned in the article its a catfish net from Leslies with 72" arms.

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

None of the herbage in the background is of British origin, which leads me to think, this fish was not caught in the UK. My guess is that it?s one of those huge eels form New Zealand.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With nothing but a hunch and vague information,
it really payed off for the two of you.
Appart from that, it was the efforts of two top blokes, who stand out from the crowd with more than a smattering of watercraft. It was a shining example of angling at its best from you both. Well done.

W

They have that sort herb stuff down the Colne Valley.......

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

It's got a very large mouth.

Could even be Anguilla mossambiqua.

ByNasty

Reaction score
Doesn't look much like the long finned or short finned variety found in NZ to me although I'm no expert. Also I don't know many people that actually fish rod and line for them over there, they tend to set eel traps as kiwi's vary rarely fish for sport. I've certainly never seen a net like that being used over there, my mate used to make drop nets for salmon out of old bicycle rims and some cheap netting!

S

sash

New Zealand, long finned, weight......at a guess I'd say about 8.4 kg, probably caught by some Swedish or Danish bloke? ;o)

W

"at a guess I'd say about 8.4 kg"

lol, bloody good guess old chap!

wink wink

S

sash

By the way Wol (and Andy, I think you knew him from Wilstone days) Andy Pearson should be over there in a few weeks time fishing for them as part of his world tour. Too busy catching 900lb black marlin at the moment!!

W

He aint got into the big ones then.

;o)

S

sash

Nope, tiddlers. Some lovely photos of marlin jumping on his site though. Lucky git!

Which island you off to in Maldives by the way? Went in March earlier this year. Don't forget the underwater camera, simply superb!

W

Dunno, its about 15 minutes boat ride. 400 yards long, 200 yards wide. Something like Kuramba i think.

W

Its here Sash.....

<a target='_new' href="http://www.kuoni.co.uk/CountryInformation/MV/W15.shtml"Kurumba

Check out the gallery, looks ok i guess.

:eek:)