Digital scales for fishing

keora

Reaction score
Please could anyone recommend a brand of digital scales, which will weigh fish up to 25lb and fit inside a coat pocket ?

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I don't know of any pocket sized digitals - I use the Fox one's which go up to 66lb in 1oz divisions. As long as you have a spare couple of battaries, these scales are the business.

I have had avons - which are good, but eventually become inconsistent.

Those weighmaster ones are rubbish - they always tend to weigh significantly more than they should. I remember catching a 6lb 14oz chub a few years back - a bloke had the same fish 3 days later at 7lb 7oz. I also had a carp of 19lb 4oz - this fish was wieghed on weighmaster scales 4 days later at 21lb.

Get some fox digitals and a coat with a large pocket!!!

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I'm also in the market for some Digi scales. I already have the Fox Digi's & although superb would prefer something a little more compact & lighweight, so will be watching this thread with interest.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I have some from Badger which I bought a few years ago,auto shut-off,pounds or kilos,one button operation,zeros with the sling on the hook,very light - also seen with Rapala printed on them - cost about £10 - brilliant

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
After buying a set of the Fox digi scales, and quickly finding them to read wrong 99% of the time, i would never use any digi scales again or recommend them to anyone.

The big problem with many digi scales, and seeing tests on them, the problem is the battery. Once a battery is used, thats it, you need to put another new battery in, if you dont, your scales will read wrong.
I came across this when there was a weigh in on a match, two sets of scales, both the same make, both digi.

One set weighed an anglers catch over 12lb, the next set over 9lb, a set of rueben 60lb x 1oz calribrated so weighing true, just over 8lb.

I took my Fox scales and we took a weight, on the Fox with a new battery the weight was correct, an old battery, 2lb over. Tested against the reubens, the Fox scale only ever weighed correct with a new battery.

IMO if you want to weigh your fish and have the correct weight, then dont buy digi.

I have had scales tested for record claims, so i do know what i am talking about, the weights and measures officer stated that the Reubens and the old Avon scales were by far the best spring balance scales around, and didnt rate anglers digi scales at all, unless you use a new battery every time, even then it would depend on the make you buy weather you get a correct reading or not.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
For most of my fishing I stick with my Avons, still got three sets and all consistently OK. Provided you look after them properly which just means keeping them dry so they don't get rusty inside they last for ever, and what Ray says is spot on about digitals. The other good scales I have are Rueben Heaton 12 x 1/4oz which really are accurate but then full RRP is £90.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Mark,

I have two sets of Avons.

When i had one set tested for my record claim, they weighed 1 ounce light, that was in 1990. Today those same scales are still the same, 1 oz light when tested again, you wont get that with any digi scales.

The Avons are not made anymore, which is a loss to angling IMO.

I trust my Reubens and my Avons, as they have been tested, I would never trust any digi scales.

Reaction score
I was looking at some going for £10.00 with an angling retailer..then did a quick scan on ebay and found self same scales without brand decal going for 2.99 and0.99p, yes o.99p..guess which ones I ordered..and I shall report back!!

test weighing s etc as soon as they arrive from Hong Kong!

Philip

Reaction score
I have not heard too many good things about digitals which is a shame as when they first hit the scene I thought they could become the answer to all weighers prayers..

Unfortunately it seems not and I have stuck with old fashioned scales. I have also had a set of the 40 pound by 1oz Avons for years and they still weigh spot on although I find them a bit heavy and of course there is the 40 pound limitation if your after real biggies. I have a few others sets and I must say I was also impressed by a pair of cheap weighmasters I have as well ...they have stayed accurate for years too.

Whatever ones you get check them regularly against a range of weights as they can weigh heavy or light at different weight ranges and what Mark says about keeping them dry is vital. I cant believe it when I see anglers hang their scales outside their bivvies all night. Dont leave them lying on the ground either as if the spring gets grit or mud in it,it will impact the weighing.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I was looking at some going for £10.00 with an angling retailer..then did a quick scan on ebay and found self same scales without brand decal going for 2.99 and0.99p, yes o.99p..guess which ones I ordered..and I shall report back!!

test weighing s etc as soon as they arrive from Hong Kong!

To do the test you will have to have a set of Calibrated scales, and a Test weight.

You cant do the test any other way, you have to have a set of scales that weigh correct.

To test your digi scales you will need, a new battery and an old battery. Test the digi with a new battery first, then with the old one. Then compare these to the calibrated scale to see if the digi scales weigh the test weight at the same weight.

Then test the digis with the calibrated set weighing different objects. You have to go all the way through the scales weight limits, ie from a few ounces all the way to the top weight of the scales, 40lb or what ever the limit is. Then do the test in reverse,ie from the top weight, back down to a few ounces.

Thats how a scale test is carried out by weights and measures, and is the only way of getting correct readings from your scales, anything less, you wont have a set of scales giving you correct readings, therefore you wont have any correct weights of your fish.

Reaction score
Thanks Ray,

I will give it a go. As much as for seeing what you get for 0.99p...!!!!!

And perhaps asking why the addition of some detailing such as white spots on the buttons and a "brand name" adds an additional tenner?

I'll keep my hefty trad scales just in case!!!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Harvey,
I agree with you regarding Fox scales and salter, but there are reasons i said about the Fox scales.

1st, The question was regarding Fox digi's

2nd, I have had a set and found them to be no good at all.

So i thought it best to let members know what the results from weights and measures was regarding the scales.

Has anyone had their salter digi scales tested ?? would be good to hear some feed back on them also.

A

alan whittington

Mark,

I have two sets of Avons.

When i had one set tested for my record claim, they weighed 1 ounce light, that was in 1990. Today those same scales are still the same, 1 oz light when tested again, you wont get that with any digi scales.

The Avons are not made anymore, which is a loss to angling IMO.

I trust my Reubens and my Avons, as they have been tested, I would never trust any digi scales.
Bloody hell Ray,and here was i thinking im lagging behind.

Keith M

Reaction score
I bought myself a set of Fox digital scales last year as my Avons where over 30 years of age, but ended up giving the digitals to my son and reverting back to my avons after hearing about all the trouble others have had with their digitals.

My avons are still accurate even after 30 years and I much prefer to see the needle moving round as you weigh the fish instead of having a digital readout it gives me a lot more confidence that they are working properly.