Trotting for Grayling

B

Brenig

I mostly fly fish and at the moment with the river being so high I'm going to have a go at trotting a worm for Grayling and see if I can catch that way.

Now my problem is its such a long time since I float fished and I'm not sure what size float I need for trotting a worm?

K

Keith Orange

I would use a float carrying about 3AA (two AAs are equal to one swan shot which weighs one sixteenth of an ounce).

If the water is fast, swirly or a bit choppy because it's a fast shallow run, I'd fish heavier.

You might be able to use a stick float in a smooth glide. Generally I prefer avon floats with fat tops. Small Drennan chubber floats should be OK as well.

I would look for a swim about 3 to 6 foot deep, although on some days I've had grayling in fast water less than 3ft deep.

I would recommend you travel light and move swims regularly if you don't get any bites.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Use a Topper Haskins trotting float and you won't go far wrong. Or if the current is steady a wire stem stick with the shot 'shirt button' style will do.

If you are used to fly fishing you could use your Longest fly rod and usual gear to present the worm up stream with some shot to get the worm to the fish. No casting in the traditional sense is needed just a light flick upstream following the progress down with the rod top. every time progress slows or stops gently lift into the bite and hopefully the fish will be on. Good luck and catch a few.

B

Brenig

Thanks Keith and Fishing Gimp all I need to do now is dig the worms out of the compost heap and I'll be ready to fish!!

K

Keith Orange

Small redworms from a compost tip should be Ok although they are fragile. Dendros might better.

I don't normally use worms for grayling, prefering either fly in autumn or maggot in winter. I caught a grayling on two plastic casters this summer !

I would use a hook with a microbarb rather than a full barb.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i was going to post a thread asking you game fishing chappies if you can point me and a friend in the direction of some day ticket grayling fishing.we would like to fish with pin reels etc... and travelling isn`t really too much of an issue.
as i`ve said any help,info,contacts would be most grateful.i`ve tried google and all i can come up with is grayling fishing using fly techniques that cost an arm and a leg for a day ticket.
many thanks.

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
Hi Nick,

I can recomend some good grayling fishing at a reasonable price. Contact Timsbury manor on the river test. Day tickets are ?15 and theres plenty of water to go at. You can fly fish or coarse fish. This water is upwards of ?125 a day in summer, if not more. It includes two carriers and over a mile of the main river. One carrier is shallow and a typical example of a perfect chalk stream. The second carrier is slow and contains a large population of carp into low dubles. They avidly rise to pellets so take some along.It adds another exciting aspect to the day.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Rich

Timsbury - 01264 365165
- 07759 331385

P.S go mid weekif you can to avoid the crowds.
P.P.S watch out for the rouge trout. If they're not spawning yet you'll catch plenty of those too up to 4 lbs in weight.

B

Barry Edney

They do limit the number of daytickets they sell. The limit seems to be rising though! I'm pretty sure they only allowed 10 anglers on there a few years ago. Last time I went there most have been at least 15+ anglers wandering up and down. Kinda spoils the ambience in a way.

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more Barry, there were at least 12 anglers on there when i was on a couple of weeks ago. on a wednesday! I fish fly, and it can be a bit demoralising to fish a pool you think a bait angler might have just emptied.

Still worth a go though.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Can get a bit hammered IMHO.

Baton Court on the Kennet at Kintbury might be nearer although the Grayling are not as big in size nor perhaps as numerous.

This too gets busy at weekends but generally quiet midweek.

Check out their website.