Snobbery

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Ever since I could just about hold a rod I have been fascinated by the art of fly fishing.

Ever since that day in the early 50s when I watched a tweed-jacketed, rednosed, bewhiskered ex-army colonel with his teeth clamped on a cigar, a hip flask and a split cane rod, extract a brown trout on dry fly from the Wylye in Wiltshire, I vowed that some day I would do the same.

I so I did. Not so much from the hallowed chalk streams of the South of England, but from many other waters, both still and running in many parts of the world. And for many other species other than trout too.

Yet I notice that there remains a stigma to this style of angling. There are those who are loath to take it up for diverse reasons.

Certainly there was a time when some believed that only those with noble birth could ever possess the skills to wield a fly rod. Yet to those few who do give it a try, they only have to hook one fish on the method and they are hooked too.

Ian Cloke comes to mind here, as does Ed.

Do you think that there is still snobbery attached to fly fishing?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, but more in the minds of some people than anything else.

S

Shrek

In some circles yes.

You only have to look at some of the cluds that are still running, like the London Fly Fishers Club, to see this.

However, go to most large reservoirs during the open season and you'll definitely find no snobbery there.

Anyway, there can't be that much snobbery attached to it if the likes of Ron, Graham, Ed and Barney are involved......

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I think theres less snobbery attached to it nowadays than say 20 years ago but maybe thats because flyfishing venues are more available than they were. Theres certainly a snobbery value attached to rivers like the Test where methods and cost beggars belief, but the snobbery is from the people who are priveleged to fish it rather than the outsider. The same applies to salmon fisheries of course where costs ensure that only the priveleged can afford to fish them thus denying the average working man. It costs absolutely nothing to catch a trout or salmon other than the cost of transport so the very fact that they charge such extortionate fees is, in itself, a form of snobbery.

Go to Ireland and totally the opposite is the case, the very poorest Irishman can go go out and catch himself a trout or two even a salmon to feed his family and all for nothing. Theres no snobbery attached to flyfishing whatsoever in Ireland and most kids learn how to cast, make their own flies etc. as part of their growing up and good for them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that the snobbery is confined these days to only a handful of rivers, particularly the chalk streams of the south.

The Wylyie, Nadder, parts of the upper Avon and the Test still pursue the upstream dry fly concepts and woe betide anyone found not fishing along those lines.

There are parts of the Nadder that today will set you back ?100 per day to fish, so there is a continuing 'snob culture' if only in the cost of a days fishing.
Strangely enough directly downstream of this stretch is a free stretch owned by the local council :)

My new local stretch of the Avon at Durrington now costs about ?45 per day but access via local clubs has brought traditional river fly fishing well within everone's pocket.

I

Ian Cloke

Well I've not been fly fishing very long, and as yet I have not seen any snobbery in the sport. There probably was years ago, and that stigma will live with the sport for ever. Which is unfortunate really, because I believe that is the reason that a lot of anglers will not give the fly a try. It is now one of the most affordable aspects of angling, once you have the basic gear, you don't need to keep buying baits, the amount of line you use is minimal, you can re-use hooks, no poles needed etc..... Also where I normally go (Thrybergh) it only costs ?10 for a 4 fish ticket, which means you can take 4 fish home and keep fishing catch and release for the rest of the day. Which is not bad in my books, as the average cost of coarse fishing is rapidly rising nowadays.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

You can of course, if you a tackle tart like moi spend a fortune on fly gear.

But to get started, it's the cheapest form of angling in terms of equipment required of the lot.

And by the way, Thrybergh reservoir do a ?210 a year season ticket which gives you 100 visits. That's less than the price of a pint of beer per visit!

Plus you can take a number of fish home.

For the Rotherham person that means an average journey of 3 miles which is only ?1.50 on the bus (one every 20 minutes), if you can't afford your own car.

This must be the cheapest fly fishing in England.

And the fish are magnificent. Steve Parton rates Thrybergh as one of the best reservoir venues in the country.

W

Wolfman Woody

What perhaps puts most people off trying fly fishing is teh vast array of flies you can buy and getting your mind around the lines, sinking, intermediate or floating. Then there's the casts on the end and the reels.

Even when you have got all that together, there's finding a decent water where the cost is not to prohibitive, whilst you're learning. Down here, it's around ?20 for half a day or 2 brace whichever comes first and for a learner that is extortionate! It might take him half a day to learn to put a decent cast on the water.

Why don't other clubs do it or why not fish the fly for other species? Room or space. You always have to remember you need a good 20 yards maybe of clear space behind you, whyc reservoirs ar so popular. Many other pools are wooded and do not suit fly fishing.

All this helps put people off.

S

Shrek

Some waters do beginners tickets, I know Draycote do, which allows you to fish all day and take 1 fish home all for the princely sum of ?5.

Don't know what other waters do along these lines though.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

One of the aspects of fly fishing is that much of the snobbery comes from non-anglers. They percieve that to catch a trout on an artificial fly is the right and proper thing to do. And to kill and eat the fish too.

I have nothing against that personally but I get the impression that some of the chattering classes only fish for trout because they do not want to be seen "using fish as playthings."

I think the biggest obstacle the budding fly fisher has to overcome is learning to cast. This new skill, in itself, puts off a lot of people.

Plus there is then fly recognition and let's face it, if you really want to become good at this branch of angling you do need to learn to dress your own flies. They are far superior to those you can buy.

I

Ian Cloke

"I think the biggest obstacle the budding fly fisher has to overcome is learning to cast. This new skill, in itself, puts off a lot of people."

You could well be right Ron, but I have found that seasoned fly fishermen are only too eager to help you learn the correct way. Also they will tell you which fly is catching the most, and, more often than not, they will give you one of he flies out of their own collection.

P

Peter Bowman

I would agree that it takes time to learn to cast a fly properly, but if you really want to fly fish, you'll persevere. Any mode of fishing requires several skills. The main one being to locate the fish and decide how you are going to catch them. Snobbery will also exist, but I have met more pleasant fellow anglers on the bank or loch than snobs.....perhaps I've been lucky

G

Ged

Who do you class as a Fly fishing Snob?

I have fished on waters where Hoorah Henries have been fishing and not expsensive venues either. Tweed jacket and Plus 4rs. very nice chap and quite chatty and informative.

P

Peter Bowman

It's not the clothes or the plummey accent, but more a case of attitude to those who like yourself enjoy their fishing.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I think the truth of the matter is as old **** Walker used to put it:

"Fly fishing snobbery comes from non-anglers, not the anglers themselves,"

But you do get the few odd bods.

Many years ago I was involved in a fly fishing syndicate. One of the guys that joined our sydicate was right out of the British Raj. He had the army rank Major and a double barrelled name which I will not repeat here.

He was drummed out of the syndicate for using worms on his hook!!

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
On the bank I have yet to encounter any snobbery, in fact quite the opposite. Most anglers seem to get on well talking about the subject they like the best and if that is catching a Trout,Salmon, Grayling or Chub,Roach or Tench it matters not one jot.
Most snobbery exists in the mind and hve found that most stupidity of this nature only exists within the ranks of those with silly aspirations Like Hyacinth Bucket on the Telly!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

One point nobody has made is that fly fishing isn't limited to catching trout.

Certainly in the past catching coarse fish on the fly was a very popular branch of the sport.

Grayling have always been taken on the fly and you can get a day on some very nice stretches for a fraction of the price you would have to pay to catch inferior stockie brownies on the same stretch in the trout season.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Careful Nigel old chap you will be upsetting the pukka dray flay wallahs on the Test what?

Grayling - they are frightful things old bean. Only meant for the low class coarse fishahs what?

P

paul williams 2

There is some snobbery in fly fishing but i also think it is the rivers where it is found most......certainly the res's don't seem to have it to to much of a degree.

River fishing is the thing that really does it for me though, wild brownies and big grayling......unfortunatly some of the rivers are very expensive and do price out a lot..........they also price out the idiots and if you want peace and solitude and wild fishing then ?300 can be cheap, depends on your outlook...........if spending that sort of money for what you really want makes one a fishing snob then i could easily be one!

My biggest problem is it's a joint account and my wife doesn't think i should be a fishing snob!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

You can go to Wales, Derbyshire, The Yorkshire rivers and Scotland and get some superb wild brown trout fishing for very little mate.

I also like the reservoirs as you don't know what you can catch. A big brownie is always on the cards as is a superb rainbow.