Barbless Hooks

Ginger

Reaction score
I`ve just been reading RMC Angling Rules and noticed that barbless hooks above size 14 are banned.Am i wrong in thinking that barbless hooks cause less damage to fish than barbed ones.If so can anyone explain the RMC ruling?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
There are two schools of thought on this, yes and no.

Barbless were introduced as they were thought to be more fish friendly in that they were easier to remove for the angler or a fish trailing a hooklink.

However some believe that the lack of barb can cause the hook to move around more during a fight and cause tearing damage to the fish.

Where barbed hooks are allowed a lot of anglers will crush the barb down to give a compromise, easier removal or shedding of the hook combined with less movement during the fight.

Ginger

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that a barbless hook can cause more damage than a barbed one.How many times have you caught fish ( especially from commercial fisheries )that have either deformed mouths or no top lip.I`m sure this is caused by barbed hooks and / or careless anglers.

njb51

Reaction score
whats the best way to remove a barbed hook?

I've managed to remove them before without too much hassle but this isn't always the case when they are well hooked.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The best compromise, is a hook with a very small barb.

Many hooks still have barbs which are too rank. The answer is to pinch them down a bit.

alan

Reaction score
Push the shank of the hook towards the point, then pull. It moves the barb away from the flesh. The same way hospitals remove barbed hooks from people.

I have never ripped a fishes lip off using barbed hooks, and feel that it isnt the barb that causes the ripped mouths but people fishing who dont know what they are doing.

imho barbed hooks have become an excuse for poor fising skills.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
The problem seems to come from modern bolt-rigs with a heavy weight and a short hooklength, setting up a fast pendulum action as the fish is played. With each swing, the barbless hook can (allegedly) rock part-way out of its hold, then pierce new flesh as it rocks back in, creating a "tear along the dotted line" effect.
I'm not convinced, but I have little experience of bolt-rigs, so as I want to have a crack at a Cemex water myself, I'd better doctor some of my trout fly hooks. Rules is rules. But barbs can be made VERY small, and still do their job. Pity hookmakers don't seem to beieve it.

Ginger

Reaction score
Ron,do you think a hook with a pinched down barb would be acceptable to RMC rules?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I havn't a clue Ginger. All that I can tell you is that on a few trout waters I fish that allow catch and release, a squeezed down barb is acceptable.

I guess the reason for totally barbless hooks is because match anglers do not want to spent the time removing the hook properly. After all, such time is vital.

W

Wolfman Woody

This article on bully boys (look halfway through) were my thoughts on deformed mouths.

Bolt rigs don't damage the mouth unless the fish are caught so regularly as to suffer multiple wound swelling. That is rare, very rare.

Ginger

Reaction score
Jeff, just read your article on "bully boys" and have seen the pictures of mouth damage.You suggest that this damage could have been caused by over heavy elastic being used by pole anglers,would the results be the same on rod and reel if the angler was using braid or really heavy line or is this just a pole related problem?

alan

Reaction score
Ive been using braid for the last 2years and Ive never seen a damaged mouth caused by it. Ive also used heavy line, 40-50lb and still not caused damage.

i would imagine its the same as anything, if you were brutal getting the fish in, no matter what set up you are using,it will cause damage.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I use braid mainline for most Barbel / Carp fishing, I've never damaged a fish using it either.

On the pole with heavy elastic you cannot let the fish run with line because there isn't any and there is little stretch in the elastic.

As Alan says it is brute force which will cause damage. If you set your clutch too tight with heavy line that won't give way then you could easily achieve the same mutilated results that Woodys article depicts. It is not the tackle but the manner in which it is used/applied.

fred hall

Reaction score
The logic behind the rules on many commercial fisheries is a complete mystery to me. Sorry you guys above with your careful arguments but I just cannot believe that a barbless hook causes more damage than a barbed hook (micro barb or otherwise). Stick one of each type in your own hand then see what you think!

W

Wolfman Woody

That's not quite a valid test. Once the hook is in your hand you don't want to move it around at all.

The idea of a small barb is to stop the involuntary movement of the hook in the fish's mouth.

Ginger - Braid could cause damage, but has as already been said, it's the manner in which you conduct the fight. The point to bear in mind, that I was trying to make, is to keep the tip either low to the water or under it. That way you minimise the risk of damage.

Of course, I might be completely wrong, but those are my findings.