It's not that I'm getting angry

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

On several occasions during the past year or so, I have noticed that the section of angling we call coarse fishing is getting termed - "Course Fishing"

I have seen this in catalogues, in magazines, on adverts and even on this website.

Has someone got a hidden agenda?

Perhaps someone out there can put me in the picture.

M

mark williams 4

Other common misspellings that get up my nose are 'ledger' for leger and 'chubb' for chub.

I remember reading an article a good few years ago by a tackle dealer who said he was in his shop one day when someone came in with a bait box and asked him if he had any 'genitals'

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And Barble for Barbel Mark.

Reminds me of the chalk stream dray flay type who walked into Davis's tackle shop in Christchurch and asked for: "A ha'peth of hook gentles my man".

Can't stand people who still call them "gentles"!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And "Barbs".

Let's call them what they are for goodness sake.

By the way Mark, I have the feeling that the old term for legering was in fact: "ledgering".

M

mark williams 4

The explanation I have for 'leger' not 'ledger' is that it's from the French for 'light.' In pre-Victorian times, most 'egering' used a 1lb weight and handful of baited hooks to catch as many self-hooked fish as possible.

The people who used an ounce and one hook were fishing 'leger.'

Sounds kind of plausible, except knowing the Brits,if it had started with the French word, we'd have turned it into leejay of something phonetic.

I might add that Falkus and Buller say the meaning is the exact opposite of what I was told.

I also note from the Concise Oxford that 'leger line' (something to do with staffs I can't be bothered to explain) can be substituted by 'ledger' so it looks as if the two might be interchangeable like practise and practice.

And I must now pull on me slippers and have me Sanatogen nightcap.

W

Wolfman Woody

"interchangeable like practise and practice."

NO they aren't. Practice is the noun, practise is the verb.

Except in USA where they only use practise.

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry, getting confused meself. In USA it's always practice.

Bloomin Yanks. Can't even spell pajamas or pygamas ro whatever it should be.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

One of the most misused words in angling is the term: "Trolling".

How it became known as trailing a lure behind a boat I do not know.

But it's not.

Trolling actually means fishing a deadbait sink and draw style from the bank, mainly for pike. Way back a certain Robert Nobbes wrote a book called: "The Complete Troller".

I have a feeling the word was adulterated by the Americans.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And it doesn't mean going out to capture, or do other unmentionables to those legendary Trolls who share the deep forests of the Shire with the Boggarts, does it Monk?

Mind you, he might have done his share of Trolling in the past.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Boilie or boily?

One magazine, Coarse Fisherman, always use boily.

Which word is right? And bear in mind that it's a word invented by anglers, exclusive to angling - as far as I know.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Yes Graham boilie is one of those words that I stop and think about when I type it, is it boily singular and boilies plural or is it boilie and boilies. The common spelling is generally boilie and for some inexplicable reason it looks right, so thats why I use it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Most dictionaries don't contain:

Matchman
Hookbait
Hooklength
Groundbait
Shotting
legering

W

Wolfman Woody

If it's "Boily" it's male, if it's "Boilie" it's female.

Since the shape is that of a familiar spherical object, I would suggest it's male therefore "boily"