Stupidest Fish You ever Caught?

Blunderer

Reaction score
I have had a few which seemed to have pellets for brains over the years:

A roach which snapped me when i was a kid. I carried on fishing and 2 hours later landed a huge roach of 1lb 15oz. It won the club's junior specimen award that year. In its mouth was my hook.

Innumerable perch which have taken ruined, manky maggots plopped into the water by my feet while i rest the rod to do something.

A significant number of rainbow trout on a holiday park in Devon which actually took BARE hooks.

But my prize for the stupidest fish I ever caught goes to a 7lb pike I caught on Grane Res. I hooked it first cast and played it for what seems like ages. As I was about to net it the hook pulled and it fell off. This pike turned round and took the manky fish AGAIN.

what was yours?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Also a pike.

Hooked it on a deadbait many years ago. The line broke just above the swivel.

Within A few minutes I tied on a new trace, put on a new herring, cast out and had a run withing seconds. The pike, A 15 pounder if I remember correctly had my previous trace and a much chomped herring still in it's mouth.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mine was also a pike.
I was searching the depths of the lake bed with a depth finding float.
First cast a pike took the float.

P

paul williams 2

I did that too Ron! on the infamous green lagoon in the 70's....cracked off as the bail arm of my 300 closed on the cast......caught an 18lb pike with my lost trace stil visible....got it out too without any probs!

One that sticks in my mind though is a 1lb 12oz roach that took a huge bunch of lobs on a wire trace, complete with size 2 hook(intended for eel) and gave one of the fastest runs i have ever had!

Shad can appear to be pretty stupid too....hitting bits of earth plastic cover pushed over a hook half a dozen times....never knew if it was the same fish though!......and sadly they don't run in such numbers now.

P

paul williams 2

Don't know Eddie,never watched it, but i know they were a terrific days fishing when they run the Severn and Wye in huge numbers.......i actually "found" them accidently whilst fishing the Lugg for eel, the pool i was fishing was alive with silver flashes as they passed through, my much older mate told me what they were and how to catch them, but it is hit and miss nowadays.

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

Has to be a pike of about 4 lb, that between myself and my fishing mate, caught 5 times in a day. I had it 4 times and my mate had it once. We knew it was the same fish as it had a large growth on the left side of its head.

Clearly brain damaged and stupid!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

One of the best roach I caught from the Warwickshire Leam, A fish of 1lb 14oz, took a matchbox sized piece of crust, fished for chub on a link leger, 4 hook and 8lb line.

G

Geoff Cowen

By brother Jim who is down syndrome once caught a 2lb Rainbow Trout which took his fly then swam round in a loop straight into the net he still had twenty meters of line on the water in a big loop, I still find it difficult to believe it happened.

Clikfire

Reaction score
A Perch of about 6oz, plumbing the depth with a split shot straight onto the hook and only about 2 mill of point showing.
Dropped it in about the third time and couldn't figure out why my slight adjustment had made the float completely disapear, lifted the rod to find stupid fish answer.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I was once fishing a large trout lake in the Eastern Cape Province.

I caught a nice rainbow, unhooked it and let my fly drop into the water. I was just dispatching it when a brown trout ambled up and picked up the fly from the bottom.

In about 6 inches of water.

It weighed 4 1/2 lbs!

I let that one go.

W

Wolfman Woody

A chub I caught three times within as many hours one evening. It had a very distinctive mark on it's left shoulder that was easily recognised.

Also a barbel once. I asked for it's name and it couldn't answer. Talk about stupid?

L

Laurie Harper

A perch I caught in the Thames. I unhooked it and put it back and dropped my rig with a by now bare hook into the margins to roll a smoke. The perch, which had not swum away, promptly grabbed the bare hook...

W

Wolfman Woody

Stupidest fish? How about a roach that jumped into my landing net without my even having a hook in the water?

It was during a match, should I have put it in the keepnet or not?

L

Laurie Harper

Yep. Especially if it was on a canal and drams counted...