Match or Specimen

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Not wanting to start a "who's better Match or Specimen anglers" again but my question is why do more match fishermen become specimen anglers than the other way round.
Is it because all start pleasure fishing and the goal there is to catch the most at the start and only later in their fishing life try to catch the bigger fish?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I think its more a case of they loose that competitive streak and stop enjoying it. So get back to just fishing with no time limits and peg restrictions. Myself could never get into match fishing prefaring to fish on my own or with a few mates.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think that match fishing is a lot more expencive mate when you consider the match fees, bait, pools money, travelling expences, it all adds up to a lot of dosh.

colsmiff

Reaction score
Maybe its more to do with being happy with yourself and realising that you don't have to prove that you are better than your peers to enjoy fishing.
Setting your own targets can quite often be a lot harder to achieve than competing against other people.

CAT

Reaction score
Good Question Mort!

I will tell you why i made the transition from Match angler to Specimen Hunter, i used to fish matches and do very well, i enjoyed it both financially and socially.

However, after experiencing catching a wild, grown on Specimen fish that has lived and has some history, and i'm not talking about these pet fish in puddles like Benson etc

I'm talking about, You Vs The Best example of a fish, a wise ambassador of the chosen species, a fish of a life time.

As i have got older its Definitely a case of Quality not Quantity.

fred hall

Reaction score
It is possible to do both-okay my match fishing is only at club level and if you push me for a decision the river fishing is my first love. Back to the original question, I would say that if you have match fished at a high level and for whatever reason got out of it for a while then it is difficult maybe impossible to pick it up again later. However you want to go fishing and you want a challenge so you get into the specimen game on your own terms. Difficult to see it working the other way round.