Lake/Pond construction

P

PikeDude

A stream runs down the side of a small, (boggy) field a friend of mine owns. It could probably be drained, but He is toying with the idea of constructing a small lake/pond. The field is only about two acres, and surrounded by farmland, so no planning permission should be needed.

Have any of you good people done anything similar or know where he could find any information about such a project.

B

Bully

I think you will find planning permission will be needed.......

W

Wolfman Woody

Maybe not. It depends on if he wants to open it to the public for profit etc. ie: change of use. Then he will need planning permission.

Providing he doesn't block or divert the stream completely, or reduce it's flow to others lower down who may suffer as a result, then he should be able to do as he likes.

However, is he going to line it with anything? Will it need lining? Where will he dump the spoil? How big will it end up? AND - Does the stream dry up in hot weathers such as we've had this summer?

G

Ged

What was the field originally used for?
May have to go down the same path farmers have to when diversifying.

P

PikeDude

Thanks for the replies,
I am still a bit hazy about all the details, and unsure how one would go about such a project. He doesn't want to open it to the public if at all possible. The field has been unused for years. I think water could be taken from the stream without diverting it's course, by some sort of of inflow/overflow system, but it does tend to dry to a trickle in the summer. I imagine he was thinking of about an acre in size, with an acre around the perimiter, but I wouldn't know if it would need to be lined or not. I would presume not, as it is low-lying and is always wet? Would anybody have any idea of cost, (ball park figure)? Thanks again.

T

Tony Rocca

Any diversion, damming of a water course needs EA approval too.

Joskin

Reaction score
Probably no need to touch the stream as it sounds like the land is right on the water table so then there will be no need to involve the EA. It Could well be as simple as digging a big hole and letting it fill naturally with ground water. You will have to keep pumping the water out wile digging though.
Perhaps you should dig a trial hole now and see what happens.