Tackle Shop Recommendation- Climax Tackle, Sheffield

Reaction score
It's not often anyone 'bigs up' a tackle shop but I'd like to recommend Climax Tackle, based near Sheffield, to fellow FM'ers.

I asked my dad (who knows nothing about angling) to get me some winter boots for Christmas and the customer service/ help/ advice he received from Climax was impeccable.

They couldn't supply the boots I asked for (not their fault, Svendson sports had genuine supply problems at the end of last year) but they recommended a great replacement at a great price... and threw in a free Fox Gravel Pit Pike dvd and one of Trakker's product promo dvds too.

OK so the Trakker dvd was a freebie, but the Fox one wasn't, and when my dad noticed that the free one was scratched, they sent him a replacement in the post.

Top service I'd say :)

I've just noticed they also get a recommendation from Lee Swords in this month's Angling Star...

Last edited:

saxon

Reaction score
I only live about 5 miles away and I've seen it grow from a small 2 man operation to what it is today, I've literally spent thousands of pounds there and had no real problems at all, just one dodgy bite alarm that was swapped with no hassle, and if you can get there on their open day get the wife to drive as Tony the owner gets his hand in his pocket for some free beer and food :w :w :w

flightliner

Reaction score
Tony and son buy in bulk and pass on the reduced rates to thier customers which is great. some years ago when they were in earlier premises they obtained hundreds of umberellas that were substandard with some of them having tiny holes in them-- Tony let you take them outside to open up in the sunshine to see if it was ok . I think it was about 25% that were defective but all the rest passed muster. They went for about a tenner (big things too!) I had one and it did me about seven or eight years before it died.
All the poles from the "holy" ones were sold seperately for a pound and they went like hot cakes!.
Top Shop.

Steve E

Reaction score
I`ve been in once when passing and to be honest I was gobsmacked by the prices...talk about expensive its no wonder you`ve spent thousands there.Specials were available but mainly lower end gear. Price of terminal tackle had me running for the door.

flightliner

Reaction score
Steve I must say I am surprised , Look along the rods which are in the main top makes and the prices are as good as you will find- the same with clothing -- you may be right about the end rigs but look in any tackle shop and they are all very expensive bits of gear.
Tony's policy is/has always been to pass on the benifits of bulk buying to his customers.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Ive had loads of really good deals from climax the latest been a fox avon duo lite for £69 99 bargain Its the first place i look when i want tackle.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I`ve been in once when passing and to be honest I was gobsmacked by the prices...talk about expensive its no wonder you`ve spent thousands there.Specials were available but mainly lower end gear. Price of terminal tackle had me running for the door.

I'm surprised by this comment, I've always found the prices to be at least equal to the average and usually a fair bit better. Their specials are usually the cheapest available. Only when it comes to out and out carp gear will I often check the prices at the likes of Erics or England Angling.
One of the joys of the Dronfield shop (saying the joys of Climax seems so wrong!;):wh:D) is the huge floor space and amount of gear on display. The only places I've been along similar lines have been Hinders and Stapely.

flightliner

Reaction score
One of the joys of the Dronfield shop (saying the joys of Climax seems so wrong!) is the huge floor space and amount of gear on display. The only places I've been along similar lines have been Hinders and Stapely.

The shop used to be a liscensed nightclub/dance hall which is what you do when you come out having got a good deal-- I know the owners do their best but I think they need another kind of license in order to provide customers with a CLIMAX!!!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
The shop used to be a liscensed nightclub/dance hall which is what you do when you come out having got a good deal-- I know the owners do their best but I think they need another kind of license in order to provide customers with a CLIMAX!!!!

Aye, I've had some good deals but I've never been that happy about them.:eek:;)
Knew the back story about it being a former nightclub. Was it called Climax then? That would certainly make more sense than a tackle shop called Climax.

flightliner

Reaction score
Aye, I've had some good deals but I've never been that happy about them.
Knew the back story about it being a former nightclub. Was it called Climax then? That would certainly make more sense than a tackle shop called Climax.
Never used the nightclub Sam, all I know is that you have to be carefull when you GOOGLE the place for the first time!!!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Good to hear about the tackle shop.

I would always recommend Johnson Ross in Hoddesdon. Great service and after sales, and a good selection of tackle. They have a good website that is kept upto date.

Like most shops, will do a deal, when your spending a few quid.

website is

www.johnsonrosstackle.co.uk.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Climax is an excellent tackle shop but I can only give my local tackle shop (Tackle 2U in Outwood) 10 out of 10 - the service; selection; value and bait quality is fantastic!!!