feeder tips

C

christian tyroll

how do attach thse to my feeder tips? ive seen little metal ticks on the top of peoples rods where they obviously go, do these already come on the rod or can u buy them?
any help would be great !

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
You can get them from any tackle shop - enterprise tackle make them for sure.

It is a small plastic item which comes in different sizes for different rod tip diameters. It is a hinged device and is held together around the tip with the same tube which then holds the isotope.

here

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree with Paul.
The Enterprise night light adaptors are the ones to go for.
The actual isotope is sold seperately, I think they are about ?7 for a pack of two, but they last for about 7 years or so,
Or you can by the starlights for a couple of quid but they only last for one session.

Alternatively.
For an adaptor, you can cut a piece of float tube about half an inch long or so.
Make a cut in the end of the rubber so that it sits nicely on the end of your rod tip, and then whip it permanantly into position, back and front of the rubber.

E

EC

Drennan do them as well with different sized adaptors for different tips.

W

Wolfman Woody

Yes, Eddie, the Drennan ones are miles better (have one in front of me now).

They come with different diameter fixings and once the isotope is fitted in position it's a lot (almost impossible I would think) to lose them. Just as well since a packet of two costs around ?8.

However, they last for donkey's years unlike the star lights.

C

christian tyroll

thanks guys,

woody do you no what the drennan model is called, i tried searching google but didnt get anything!

Red6

Reaction score
Christian,

A good method I have found is to use 2 float rubbers.

Find two float rubbers that will squeeze tightly over the tip ring (you may need to wet them with a bit of spit) and then slide your isotope into them. It keeps it tight against the rod tip between the tip ring and second ring and does not inhibit the line passing by. Make sure the isotope is on top of the rod, ie not sitting between the rings.

I use this method when freelining bread at night for Chub, I have never had one come off, it works a treat and no need to buy an adapter. Incidentally I use the YAD 'Knicklict' (German) isotope, got them on Ebay, paid about a fiver for 25 packets (2 in each packet).

Hope this helps.

Ian

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Christian.

Check them out here with pic. If using a feeder rod then use both on the tip this will help show slow bites. The isotopes will move closer or further apart depending on the bite.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I usually rate the Drenan gear very highly, but those isotope holders are the pits.
Enterprise ones for me every time.
Check them both out Christian, you will see the difference in quality.

C

christian tyroll

thanks guys,

i guess il have a look in a few tackle shops and see i like!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I've never lost an isotope out of an Enterprise holder. Never used the Drennan ones either though so can't comment on them.

I didn't know you could get isotopes which lasted more than a few hours or one night session...?

How does that work? once you've 'snapped' the crystals inside they go off fairly quickly, 12 hours or so in my experience.

E

EC

These long life ones Paul, they last years mate, like a dull starlite, no cracking required!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had mine in for two years now.
They cost about ?7 for a pack of two.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Paul,
you are talking about this type of night light but these ones are small glass vials which contain two gasses which give off a constant glow and last for up to 10 years.

P

Phil Heaton

I bought 2 permanent isotopes 3 or 4 years ago and have never been happy with the brightness of them. The chemical type are far brighter than the ones I bought. Can anyone recommend a permanent one that is as bright as a chemical one, if one actually does exist.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Baz,
you right there, my new cap an' T-shirt were soaked in sweat :eek:)

Phil,
I use the drennan ones mentioned earlier in the thread, I find them bright enough for the end of the rod (12' Avon style) with the provided holders.