crayfish-how do I cope with them?

K

Kevin Colston-Iles

I,ve just started fishing a large water which has a large head of bream and crayfish, the carp seem to be on the move in shoals and are hard to hold in one spot for very long( weights from singles to mid twentys) and night fishing allowed. any suggestions on rigs/ bait or general tip or advise most welcome.

P

Paul Williams

I would go for fairly standard rigs and piles and piles of particles in areas where carp had been spotted.....actually i lie because it would be the bream i was after :eek:)

C

Carp Angler

Hutchy Clawbuster hookbaits or use Solars new Jail Baits to combat the crays.

As Paul suggests, either piles of particles or mix it with Vitalin and lay down a good bed.

The snottys and Ronnies will clear up loads, so don't worry about overdoing it.

P

Philip Inzani

As well as the hard baits you could also try netting although if the Crays are generally tiny they get their claws caught up in it. If the bottom has a lot of rubbish I would avoid long hooklinks as they will drag the bait under stones etc and turn over the hook point or snag you. Popped up baits help avoid them a little but not foolproof. Some baits are less prone to attack than others?.Tiger nuts may help. The good news is that better Carp scoff crays so if you are being blitzed out by them dont dispare totally as the next bite could be a whacker.

P

Paul Kendall

As long as they're Signals and not brown ones, put a crab trap out baited with a deadbait, leave it overnight - haul it in, boil a pan of water, drop the crayfish in the pan for about 5 minutes and voila - breakfast !! - tastes better than lobster.

R

Rob Brownfield

mate of mine had fantastic results in france by using pellet to attract the crays ...the crays attracted the carp...and bingo...fish to 49 pounds.

Not sure if it will work here

P

Philip Inzani

Rob, yes I think you are right, that is a tactic that is used quite alot on some really big waters. They chuck tons of bait out specifically to attract the Crays then put a real rock hard monster Bolie out there that will last the distance until the Carp move in.

R

Rob Brownfield

Philip....my mate was on Orient...i think that how u spell it. I cant remember the exact weight over 5 days but biggest was 49, had another 7 forties and so many 30's they lost count....u could say they did well...lucky buggers.

K

Kevin Colston-Iles

Thanks for all your advise lads, had my third trip down there from 2 o'clock till 11.30 last night but on friday morning 7am put out 4 pints of hemp,4 pints of layers mash pellets and about 2 pints of crushed tiger nuts with vitalin as a binder and placed this little lot 50 yards out and BINGO!!!- 3 fish hooked 2 landed (both mid doubles on tiger nuts! so just to say thanks for all the advise a great start and hopping for afew more in the next few weeks.
p.s- will be making some clawbuster baits over weekend.

S

Stuart Bullard

Personally, if they were big crays I would go with worms and sit there waiting with my stove and a little garlic butter......lovely!!!