cold water barbel

smithy

Reaction score
i fish a weirpool with a small head of barbel from 5,lb to 10lb,ish ,,they have been getting caught in there summer haunts in the streamer weed in the white water,till bout few weeks ago now the water temp has crashed what i dont no is now were do they go to ,,will they still be in the same place or do they head for deeper more calmer water i have nevered fished for them in winter so have no clue if i am wasting my time ,,,what depth water do they go to, depths in weirpool range from 2ft to 15ft,help please,,cheers ,,..

Darren George

Reaction score
If I were you Id wait for the temperature to stabilize, then adopt a roving approach. By doing so you will learn for yourself where the fish are - experience is surely far more valuable than advice :eek:)

Incidentally, I look for deeper, steadier stretches in winter, but theres no rule in fishing ;o)

Good luck!

K

Keith Orange

Smithy, it depends where you live. If you are fishing a northern river, the water temperature in winter is usually too cold to make barbel fishing productive, unless you're a barbel fanatic.

If you're fishing southern rivers, I think you've more of a chance, because you read of winter barbel from these rivers in the angling press.

I'd wait for a winter flood, where the extra water is warm following rain, rather than cold following snow/sleet. Barbel can be caught in these conditions, with a bit of luck

eric walker

Reaction score
there is a lot of rubbish talked about fishing for barbs in winter . i have had many good catches when its been freezing dont be out of by the drop in temps . the fish are still in the same area but tend to feed in spells dont feed to much small but frequent.also use baits that release there odour better in colder conditions . i find soaking bait in hemp oil or salmon oil works wonders . and yet again loction location read the water and conditions

eric walker

Reaction score
there is a lot of rubbish talked about fishing for barbs in winter . i have had many good catches when its been freezing dont be put off by the drop in temps . the fish are still in the same area but tend to feed in spells dont feed to much small ammounts but frequent.also use baits that release there odour better in colder conditions . i find soaking bait in hemp oil or salmon oil works wonders . and yet again location location read the water and conditions

fred hall

Reaction score
Eric Eric I I agree agree with with you you! What really hooked me on barbel fishing was one evening in February last year when I simply could not get a bait into the water fast enough. It was, as they say, solid with them. Incidentally Keith this was from a grim northern river.
Generally speaking it pays to target the slower, deeper stretches from now on but it is always worth a few casts in faster, shallower swims. I've picked up plenty of bonus chub and the odd barbel over the years doing this whilst breadflake or maggot fishing.

eric walker

Reaction score
fred i come from the north and fish northern rivers . some guys cant believe you can have red letter days when its absolutly freezing ive had to pull my net off the bank to land the fish because its frozen to the bank. i recall years back guys saying your wasting your time fishing for carp in winter they are warm weather fish and what a load of rubbish that was .

Darren George

Reaction score
I agree that there are no rules regarding temperatures that barbel will feed in. I would make the point, however, that when trying to learn about barbel location and behaviour, it is far easier when the fish are more active. Generally speaking, this is during times of steady raised, or rising water temps.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Its not so much the fatc that the water temeperature is low but wether or not the water temperature is rising that is significant.

eric walker

Reaction score
nigel i dont think that matter i ve caught barbs when the water temp has been dropping and quite a lot . there is no hard and fast rule only what you beleive and have confidence in . if chubb roach and other fish are feeding then so are the barbs . if you dont have confidence in that well you might as well stay at home . personally . he only thing thats put me off fishing on a the day was when fork lightening was coming down to close then i did a runner.

Jason Speck 2

Reaction score
Eric has a point.Other species feed,so do Barbel.
Their may only be a short period in a 24 hour cycle that they do feed.
Most Barbel I have caught in cold conditions have come in the first hour of darkness.

Ater the first frost's (down our way last night) it may take a time for things to settle into a pattern.

I'd love to get one with snow on the bank.

Jason

Barbel Taliban

Reaction score
Never ever fish for the sacreed one if the vater is less that 6C 42.8F to do so is considered haram.

"I'd love to get one with snow on the bank.
"

By the will of god you WILL be flogged.

eric walker

Reaction score
just got back from the wye absolutley freezing one bite and one fish 10 lbs 6 oz and water temp 3 c now who says you cant catch them when its cold well worth a days fishing for one specimen

F

Fred Bonney

Nice fish eric,as they say,if your not on the bank....etc.

B

BLAM

Lots of opinions (inside and out of fishing!) get passed down without too much attempt to verify their authenticity. Well done for a smashing Barbel, Eric.

I guess anyone that believes everything they read in books, Mr Taliban, should have their heads examined ;-)

eric walker

Reaction score
thanks guys i changed methods all day i used a paste mate and added extra hemp oil; to my paste i think this brought the result.i tried several baits and then put on a paste mate and made a large sausage bait i left the bait in for an hour and whilst chatting to a pike angler over went the rod was well pleased although i have caught well this season it always pleases me when you catch against the odds

Barbel Taliban

Reaction score
This is blasphemy, you are catching the sacreeeed one in temperatures that are haram.

Ve vill not be examining heads infidel BLAM ve vill be removing them from Kuffar shoulders.

Infidel eric your name has been added to the list.

7:18 Denying a Messenger of the sacreed one in spite of being conwinced about his weracity is something vhich deserwes sewere punishment both in this vorld and in the Hereafter since this is tantamount to deliberately denying the sacreed one. The vorldly punishment of the Disbeliewers(Kuffar) is remowal of any 3 limbs (of your choice)

eric walker

Reaction score
taliban as long as i keep the tackle for the wife then you can blaspheme me all you want .hope that dont upset your hilarious religion lol eric

AARON SMITH

Reaction score
HI, CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE? I HAVE JUST STARTED BARBEL FISHING ON THE RIVER TRENT, MAINLY AT THE BACK OF THE A1 PITS WHERE I HAVEN'T BEEN HAVING MUCH LUCK LATELY. COULD ANYONE OUT THERE GIVE ME SOME USEFUL TIPS ON BAITS AND METHODS ETC.IT IS A LONG STRETCH OF RIVER,DO'S ANYONE KNOWN OF ANY HOT PEGS I COULD TRY.DO I NEED TO BE CASTING 3/4 OF THE WAY ACROSS? AS I HAVE TRIED THIS AND FOUND IT VERY DIFFICULT TO HOLD BOTTOM. I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL FOR ANY TIPS AND ADVISE ANYONE CAN GIVE ME.
THANKS AARON.

B

BLAM

Start a new thread Aaron (without using capitals if possible) so more people can see your question.

Otherwise have a read of Lee Swords' excellent Carbology series which is accessible by scrolling down the articles in the Technique section. At the bottom of the Carbology 4 article there is also a link to a piece by Shane Colton that refers to the section of river I think you are referring to.