this weekend looks promising for a river bonanza..

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
At last some mild weather forecast, although my local rivers are up and coloured hopefully they will be fining down by the weekend. I am gagging to get out and have a go . Have you got anything planned?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Forecast 80mm of rain for us next 24 hours; even the road to the commercial will be under water! River is already in flood. Cold again next week so might try Friday/Saturday on a stillwater.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Will you please be quiet! I can't go at all this coming weekend... maybe the next.... but by then it'll be up and over the banks again!

:D

river_banksy

Reaction score
it needs to stop raining:D it never does in the closset. :eek:

---------- Post added at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

come on guys, now thats funny.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Tomorrows the day for me. I'm now going through that agonising venue choice time - river levels, rainfall patterns, possible water temperature, fishable swims, barbel, chub, perch, roach, pike ......

Think yourself lucky Neil you're spared all that at least! ;)

George387

Reaction score
I had all intensions of being out on the water today but looking around the various webcams on the regions waters, the rivers are up and rising, looked at the tees webcams this morning & they were up so left it for an hour or so and they have risen higher :(

I think a day for walking the dogs and having a wander is more in order :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Had a good look at the Loddon yesterday at various points around Reading and although its not over the bank yet it won't take much more rain to do so.
Its going through at a fair pace(heavy boiling in places) and the colour is pale chocolate but give it a week or so and it may be worth a go.......

Me?-well I'm going to sit by a small pit without a hope of catching but it will be good to be next to water for a while...

Reaction score
With the mild weather, anyone out in Shropshire the weekend?
I think the severn will be too high, there is about 6 feet on at the moment with more rain forecast, possibly one of the tributary's might be okay, the stour or salwarpe.
With the weather so mild though, it will be Walcot lake for me, I fancy the roach and skimmers will show with the chance of a winter tench!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tomorrows the day for me. I'm now going through that agonising venue choice time - river levels, rainfall patterns, possible water temperature, fishable swims, barbel, chub, perch, roach, pike ......

Think yourself lucky Neil you're spared all that at least! ;)

Same problem for me Sean, but you can throw zander into the equation too!

Ah! The agony of choice!

chav professor

Reaction score
Can always collect lobworms from the cricket field:D It is just about perfect conditions..............

I'm gonna try for a roach in the slacks tommorow. I look forwards to this time of the year so much, but it rarely lives up to expectations:confused:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Having just browsed the Fish and fly webcams (top of this page) the rivers are looking a bit iffy so as a precaution (hands up) I have booked in on a canal match sunday.....

but I'm still going to try the Gade saturday....

flightliner

Reaction score
Been on the Trent today and was almost down to my shirtsleeves it was so warm. I was having a change trying for a Zander but no joy. My mate was told by possibly the best known angler in the country that it was to cold and he wouldnt catch anything so he proved him wrong by doing a 12-12 barbel! --- got to laugh haven't you!

dannytaylor

Reaction score
The lids have finally thawed around here and just as i predicted it was while i was working :D

More rain forecast for saturday so the Grayling are out of the question so its a toss up between Pike on the canal or some roach fishing on a local pond. Then Ive got some tree work to do for a local fishing club, at least its fishing related :)

flightliner

Reaction score
A local pond near me (junc 31-M1) has thawed out over the last two days with a total fish wipeout-- lots of good fish covering the entire waters surface,-- very sad for the controlling club.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I went today!

For about 5 hours fishing I had one bite and a carp of 4/5lbs....not great but nice to catch something!
I fished a small pit in about 5' of water and after trying several baits I changed to floating crust after seeing small swirls to bits of bread I had flicked in.To be honest I didn't expect anything and certainly not on a floating bait so I was as suprised as the fish which didn't fight at all....

I checked the temperature and(in old money)water was 48 degrees and air 52/53 degrees-identical to those in early November last year when I had fish to 10lbs on boilies, so despite the intense cold and snow etc the water temperature has remained constant.......possibly due to the covering of ice??

Anyway,good to get out again and look forward to a falling river next week............

A

alan whittington

Going out tomorrow Ouse or Ivel,plenty of river to go at,too much i fear.:(