Behind you!

Bob S

Reaction score
Just a reminder to anyone fishing public waters - Please look behind you before casting.
A bloke on Earlswood today missed my 3 year old son by inches today as he swung his feeder back and cast out.
Hopefully absent minded rather than deliberate carelessness, but it could have been nasty.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Tough one.

Anglers do cast out, parents need to take responsibility.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Just a reminder to anyone walking around public waters - Please look to see if anyone is casting before walking near them

W

Wolfman Woody

I fished with some old guys down on Babbacombe jetty once and the call then when someone was about to cast was -

"GOING OUT!"

It was up to everyone to then get out of the way.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's wrong in the angler turning his wooden head around before casting?

A childs safety was at stake.

J

jason fisher

whats wrong with the child being kept under control in a place which is potentially hazardous.

secondly why was a 3 year old allowed to run amok near deep water, if you didnt even notice that he was about to get hit by a feeder what would happen if he fell in.

its opinions like yours baz that are making the country go to pot, uncontrolled kids running round doing as they please with no discipline.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was public access Jason, the same as along a canal towpath.

Are we as anglers such an uncareing and mindless lot?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have known waters to be lost to angling through careless acts like this one.
It matters not that you have a right to be there, so do members of the public, and their safety must come first.

Beecy

Reaction score
Anglers look out for walkers, walkers look out for anglers, not that hard realy.

Joskin

Reaction score
As much as it pains me I must agree with Baz on this one. :(

Anglers should always look behind them before they cast. Not only for the safety of others but to look after there owen tackle. I would be gutted if I broke a very expensive rod just because I couldn't be arsed to look behind me and see the pedestrian or cyclist coming.

J

jason fisher

on a serious note i agree with beecy keep your eye out for whats behind you, but we shouldnt be expected once set upto cast to have to look behind us the walkers should be paying attention to where they are going as well.
aws for kids they should be under control if they are within a yard or so of you and the bloke cast then its his fault if they were running about all over the place its yours.

E

EC

If its a public place, then people of whatever age are allowed to act however they like so long as it's within the law.

A couple of kids run around the footpath, so what, thats what kids do?

Hook one(a kid) and lets see what the insurance man says, when you get hit for damages!

You do have 3rd party insurance don't you?

J

jason fisher

no why should i have 3rd party insurance to fish im not irresponsible enough to endanger other people, if they are irresponsible enough to endanger themselves then its their problem.

"A couple of kids run around the footpath, so what, thats what kids do?"

now transfer the same argument to a footpath by the side of a motorway or trainline so presumably you are saying that any kid who runs out in front of a train or lorry in this situation it would be the drivers fault. not the parents fault for not keeping control of the child.

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Public footpath or no public footpath, you were too near for your childs safety .
Thats what adults are for ..... to look after the kids , if they did the world would be a better place .
End of.

E

EC

No Jase thats totally different, the kid runs in front of a train, its the childs' actions that caused the accident.

An angler not looking behind him when he is casting is different.

My point is, if you or I hook a passing member of the public, or another angler we could wind up getting sued!

Remember the society we live in mate, 'where there's blame there's a claim'.

E

EC

When we were kids, we would have been told, 'its all your own fault' now a parent will call a free phone number before he or she puts the plaster on.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

On a lot of places I fly fish there are public footpaths behind. On our local reservoir there are signs saying to the walkers: "Beware - Anglers Casting"

Any fly fisher worth his salt always looks behind before he commences to cast.