Team Barbel - Back on Tour

B

BLAM

Another great read on Barbel and the Trent. I almost feel I know how to tackle the river following these in depth articles. Good idea with the hair stops too. I've being using something more complex and its always good to see a better and more neat/simple solution.

However I've not seen too many shops selling ferret pellets darn sarth. I guess I'll have to go online to get black pudding boilies from oop norf as well.

Look forward to reading more!

The Master

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, most appreciated.

The ferret pellets are available from most of the superstore type pet stores, and they work believe me.

Tom Rigby 2

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words lads. Made me blush. Which is quite hard.

A very interesting piece.

A lot of folk might have found your baiting tactics a bit OTT but my own experience on the Severn in winter has made me realise just how much bait you can use on a big river.

Fact is that the middle Severn is only half the river the tidal trent is - if that - but I've still found that feeding 2/3 kilos of boilies every couple of days is not over feeding even in water temps around 6c. I've also found that feeding a couple of gallons of hemp on top of the boilies actually work s well too. This is in february!!! It will attract and hold all the silver fish as well as the barbel and get a real baiting pyramid cycle going.

My question is how you would adapt these tactics for use on the Trent in winter?
all the best
Tom

The Master

Reaction score
Trouble is Tom you are spoilt living as close as you do to the Severn you can keep up a regular baiting campaign. With the Trent over 100 miles away that is out of the question, what Team Barbel need now is a river Trent correspondent who happily go to the river and bait up for us.

I am sure thou finding the right area and regular baiting will work on any river. we have proved that on the Wensum.