The ugliest fish

W

Wolfman Woody

Not ugliest fisherman beacuse that would be a fight between Ron and Ed.

Never caught one, but always remember the lumpsucker in Blackpool Tower Aquarium for years ago. That must win hands down.

Ok then, ugliest fisherman if you wish.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ugliest Fish.....Loach.

Ugliest Fisherman.......Tom Riorden, because he's got the thickest head of hair I have ever seen.
I could quite easily kill him for it.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I caught a really ugly hunched back chub from the Stour once. It looked like someone had stood on it and broken it's back, probably a pike had it when it was younger though.

Baz I will send you some of my "Thatch" if you want....

;-)

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
A chub off the canal in the middle of Retford, about 12ozs, its tailend was at 90 degrees to the head end. It was also suffering from dropsy and it was like touching quivering razor blades.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The Mersey Lumpsucker - Cyclopterus lumpus scouserii is probably the ugliest fish in the world.

Is capable of adhering to smooth metallic object, especially hubcaps.

;O)

W

Wolfman Woody

Fishing from Whitby once and one of the lads caught a wolf fish, or so the skipper said.

In fact the skipper said "Bring tha ****ing thing aboard and you can deal with it." and promptly went up the front end of the boat.

This thing had a mouthful of enormous fangs and they were snapping! It had a face only its mother could love.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Woody ---I've seen Wolffish they were catching them off the coast of Massachusetts -- pretty rare too
They are like a dirty grey colour with big protruding teeth at the front
Evidently they make very good eating .......

Wolffish

W

Wolfman Woody

Yes, I think that the one Ed. The stripes weren't as pronounced as some of the pictures of Anarchichas Lupus suggest, but it seems like the most possible candidate. It didn't have spots anyway.

I think the lads cut the nylon and dropped it back over the side before it could bite anyone. Never seen anglers so afraid. The skipper said after that they were good to eat.

Don't know if anyone's eaten a three bearded rockling at all, but I thought they were quite tasty. Cooks like cod, tastes like plaice. Had a couple off Ynys Mon back in the 70s

M

madpiker

the anglerfish has got to be the ugliest fish in the sea,i once caught a 39lber whilst wreck fishing off of guernsey.the skipper said that they lost their colour once dead,so if i wanted a good pic,then i should hold it while it is still alive.sodding great mouth full of huge teeth,it made a pike look tame.i had my pic taken holding it.a few hours later,i noticed that it still had all of its colour.
"i thought that they lost their colour when they were dead".the skipper just gave me a look and laughed is head off.
the tail tasted good though,quite expensive to buy in the fishmongers and sold as monktail.

Phil Smith 2

Reaction score
Many years ago when there was such a thing as the close season that applied to all water I used to travel to Anglesey off the tip of North Wales along with fellow members of the Coventry Specimen Group for the Easter Holiday.
Our target was wrasse and we would stop off at the Menai Strait to collect lugworm and then continue our way to Lynas Point just on the NE tip of the island.
These trips were great fun and quite a few fish were caught of many different species, then one day I hit the jackpot. Merv fishing just along from me came to help as I reeled what appeared to be a better fish in to the side. We were fishing off quite high rocks and Merv went to the bottom to get the fish, no net, it would be just handed in.
As the quarry came to the side, Merv took one look and his comment would not be polite to repeat on an open forum, enough to say he was not going to handle this perticular specimen.
It looked like a brown football with spikes all over it's body and a big orange circle on it's chest. At 7lb 14oz quite a size, along with teeth that looked like they would cut through nails.
At the time I had no idea what it was but a check through the books upon my return home showed I had a nice Lumpsucker.
Some time after this I noticed a piece in the papers that made reference the the Welsh Record committee and I contacted them to find more detail of the general size of these fish since they were rarely reported, I was told if I submitted the details I could claim the Welsh Record.
The world has moved on since then but there is no doubt they are quite ugly.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Phil
I can imagine what Merv said .....