shallow running lures

N

Nicky Garbutt

can anyone tell me a model for river fishing (tees) and must only go down to about 5 feet cause theres shopping trolleys and allsorts.

thanks

R

Rob Brownfield

You cant go far wrong with an original floating Rapala. Try silver/black or Perch in a clear river, and fluoro orange/gold in coloured water.

Bomber Long A's are also good. Both go down no more than 4-5 feet.

N

Nicky Garbutt

one prob the original Rapala is not heavy euf to cast on my rod and the biggest wieght is only 16g
and my rod is rated 30-60grams any tips.

thanks.

J

John Howard

The ABU HI-LO has an adjustable diving vane allows surface to very deep, comes in jointed and unjointed versions

N

Nicky Garbutt

everyone on the tees were i fish is telling me to use braid but im not sure if i can use it with my rod because it has got silicon carbide guides.

and if i can is Newtec power cable any good.

thanks

R

Rob Brownfield

U can use braid..I have SiC's on my rods..and normal guides..no probs.

There are not too many shallow diving heavy lures that i can think of...except for jerkbaits. Creek Chub Pikeies and Rapala Super Shad Raps can be worked shallow by using a stop start retrieve...maybe these are ok..

D

David Will

You could try doctoring lures. This is vey easy and simply involves drilling holes in the underside of lures and filling the holes with foam.Rig foam is ideal.Once the foam is in smear over with araldite to seal the holes.By experimenting you can make lures sink very slowly or just float.I have also added weight to floating lures to achieve neutral buoyancy.It doesn't affect the action of lures and by simply scratching off the araldite you can transform a floating lure to a sinker for winter use and vice versa for summer.Give it a try.

D

Davy North

Nicky, It's nice to hear from someone else who fishes the Tees. Where abouts are you fishing? and how are you doing?

A novice Tees Piker.

N

Nicky Garbutt

under the A66 on the stockton side you want to try for pike wen the dace come down from yarm the fishing an go cazy yarm brige is an go place to try. and the best thing about stockton side is its free. if you want more info email me at

nick_ov_uk@yahoo.com.

thanks

N

Nicky Garbutt

also an other go place is the castle gate centre next to the foot bridge on the thoraby side use shallow running lures cause its dead snaggy as i found out be losing an bucher depth raider. i think in an few years time theirs gonna be sum big ones pulled out so im still trying my best yet is 7lb from the A66.

good luck mate.

D

Davy North

The Environment Agency did a test netting aroubd Stockton's Princess Diana Bridge, and they had pike of 15lb & 16lb, and I heard that straight from the Tees EA fisheries officer. I also know of a 12pounder caught at Worsal, but unfortunatly the prat who caught it killed it.

It must look daft to people in other parts of the country that we're raving on about low doubles, but the Tees pike (in the lower river) is quite a new thing. However as Nicky says just watch it go in the next 10 years.

By the way the biggest pike from the river that the EA officer had heard of was 29lb but from well up steam at Nesham.

P.S Nicky have you tried Preston Park? There's a lot of piky looking ambush points in the woods. I've always promised a go but never got round to it.

N

Nicky Garbutt

i might give it a got wen i get sum time off and i might get my lures new lures (yessss!) and try for more pike at the brige i might give a deadbait ago. that fool who as killed it whants an good clip cause they are spoiling our sport and if fools like him who killed pike stop them breding. and just wen the river was getting back to noramal

good luck mate please tell me how you get on

thanks

N

Nicky Garbutt

can you fish in the park i think at they closed down.

D

Davy North

Preston park is on the Tees, the grounds of Preston Hall museum near Eaglescliffe. Albert Park in Middlesbrough is closed down, and the lake is going through a major overhaul, but even though there were stories of pike in that lake, there were none taken out when the lake was drained.

Have you tried Stockton Bricky, opposite Ropner Park? there are pike in there, I think it's ?2 a day if anyone bothers coming round to collect it. However the club who now own it have a kill all pike policy, and I'm told now the place is over run with tiny jacks, well what a surprise!!!

D

Darren Allinson

hey guys,I live in Middlesbrough and wanted to fish the Tees for ages, I have been to preston park twice.But, could you guys tell me any other good spots along the river? or even better do you know of any decent stillwaters in the Middlesbrough area?.Have you seen Albert Park recently?looking good.I have been told they are stocking up in November and they are filling it with tench and carp.

D

Davy North

Hi Darren.

When you say good spots on the river do you mean for general fishing or piking, I only ask because this is the predator section?

I must agree Albert Park does look good now. The staging the EA have put up look really strudy and the airators will keep the water in better nick. I think the idea with the carp is to keep them under 4lb by moving the bigger ones to other waters as they grow.

It's nice to see some one else from our area on the forum, we're getting quite a few now.