Cold Weather Fishing Tips

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Number one:

If you take a kettle and stove with you for a warm brew up, wrap the kettle in foil first.

You can even use a double layer of foil, but just let it overlap the bottom of the kettle by ¼" or so. It insulates the kettle and helps the water boil much more quickly and save gas (or fuel) in the process.

jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture2350-kettle-foil-covering.jpg

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬

Got any other cold weather tips? List them here -

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Number one:

If you take a kettle and stove with you for a warm brew up, wrap the kettle in foil first.

You can even use a double layer of foil, but just let it overlap the bottom of the kettle by ¼" or so. It insulates the kettle and helps the water boil much more quickly and save gas (or fuel) in the process.

jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture2350-kettle-foil-covering.jpg

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬

Got any other cold weather tips? List them here -

Stay at home warm......:wh:D.

I always put on an extra layer, jumper or sweatshirt, if you get to warm, you can always take it off. Put you cant warm yourself up if you havent got extra gear to put on.

I put a set of gear in the car, jogging bottoms, sweat shirt, socks etc etc, if I should fall in, then i have something to change into, dont bother in the summer.

mol

Reaction score
If you're wearing loads of layers and moving swims take a few layers off before you move. If you get sweaty in the move it will be absorbed by the layers and they will not keep you as warm once you're not moving.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
And buy muck boots. You MUST buy muck boots. So warm and comfy. They were delivered yesterday and I love them, in fact I was prancing round the house like a gay farmer most of yesterday evening. Cant wait to try them out proper. Cant wait to go fishing in general. Next weekend looks a winner !

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
And buy muck boots. You MUST buy muck boots. So warm and comfy. They were delivered yesterday and I love them, in fact I was prancing round the house like a gay farmer most of yesterday evening. Cant wait to try them out proper. Cant wait to go fishing in general. Next weekend looks a winner !

What do you mean "LIKE" a gay farmer........:):)

flightliner

Reaction score
What do you mean "LIKE" a gay farmer........
mmmmmmmmmm nice--- the wifes tights I mean-- no self respecting bricklayer leaves for work in the wintertime without them (on).Makes you shudder to think of it. ( the tights are a cold weather tip by the way)

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score

I bought some too and love them - despite the £70 price tag. Fancy writing up a review of them Jimmy?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
IMO Muck Boots are without question the finest boot out there. They are warm,comfortable, and waterproof. What else do you want a boot to do ?

The basic Derwent is around 50 sovs. Worth every penny.

Wear a hat & a neck tube....not a scarf...a neck tube and get one of them proper technical baselayer l/s tops to wear next to your skin.Brilliant.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I contacted the York Guns Co for advice as to what they might recommend for stationary fishing with cold feet a MAJOR issue(and for the 'older' man!!) and they suggested the Tay Sport Muck Boot.......this retails at around £89......

Now I don't know the difference between these and the Derwent(a bit cheaper)but any comments welcome!
I'm sure they both do a good job but I want to buy the right one for MY circumstances particularly around the cold feet/age issue.....

From what has been said they seem to be the best available........................

Jimmy Crackedcorn.............did you look at any other models before buying??

Last edited:

dannytaylor

Reaction score
you cant beat a flask of spicy soup at this time of year, Mulagatawny (???) or thai, "warms your cockles" :w

flightliner

Reaction score
Take care with the Muckboots -- a friend of mine has a pair and while out walking he put his foot beside an upturned thick twig/thin branch and it tore a four inch hole along the outside of the leg. He was gutted! Everyone has the choice but I personally wouldnt have a pair. Hunters for me every time--

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
IMO Muck Boots are without question the finest boot out there. They are warm,comfortable, and waterproof. What else do you want a boot to do ?

The basic Derwent is around 50 sovs. Worth every penny.

For a cheaper (every bit as good) alternative Google Bison neoprene wellies. Half the price of Muck Boots and mine have lasted longer (the sole on my Muck Boots split after 18 months).

The key to staying warm is not to get wet and this includes sweating. Always open your outer layer when walking about. Breathable feild boots are always warmer than neoprene wellies. Keep your layers lose fitting so movement is easy and you don't get hot and bothered.

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Tee Cee, for stationary fishing where wellies aren't essential (ie water above ankle deep) I'd always go for field boots. I've got a pair of the Prologic 4 seasons ones and they are so much better than wellies:

Warmer
Breathable
Better to walk in
Every bit as waterproof.

I stood for 4 hours in ankle deep water at the last river Idle fish in (and the weather was BAD that day) and my feet stayed dry and warm all day. I now use my field boots for winter hiking as they are so much better than my hiking boots.

---------- Post added at 13:25 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Oh and don't make the mistake of buying the cheaper versions from MAP, Wychwood, Nash etc. They will only last for a seasn or so before splitting.

I'll shut up now! :w

johnnyfby

Reaction score
I contacted the York Guns Co for advice as to what they might recommend for stationary fishing with cold feet a MAJOR issue(and for the 'older' man!!) and they suggested the Tay Sport Muck Boot.......this retails at around £89......

Now I don't know the difference between these and the Derwent(a bit cheaper)but any comments welcome!
I'm sure they both do a good job but I want to buy the right one for MY circumstances particularly around the cold feet/age issue.....

From what has been said they seem to be the best available........................

Jimmy Crackedcorn.............did you look at any other models before buying??

I use Tay sports and they are without a shadow of doubt the warmest wellie muckboots make, they also have a very good wicking fabric on the inside of the wellie. If you suffer from cold feet these are the ones.

Jon

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

If your wearing wellies and your on a long session take a spare pair of socks and if your feet are feeling damp with sweat, which imo can be slightly uncomfortable, simply change into a dry pair of socks and hang your others up to air.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Muckboot Tay & Spey are the top of the range & even warmer [so my mate says] than the entry level Derwent. I can't comment on their longevity as I've only had mine 3 winters ! That said there are some decent cheaper options out there. I got the boy a pair from the Yorkshire Clothing Co[?] that they were knocking out for £10.Brilliant boots.

As for Hunters I wouldn't have a pair in the car let alone wear them. IMO [and it is only my opinion] one of the coldest,most uncomfortable & over priced boots you can buy.Nobody has feet that shape.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
---------- Post added at 13:25 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Oh and don't make the mistake of buying the cheaper versions from MAP, Wychwood, Nash etc. They will only last for a seasn or so before splitting.

I'll shut up now! :w

Have to disagree 100% about the Wychwood field boots, had mine for 5 years this year and they have only just started to split. These boots have been to hell and back, in all weathers.

They have never let me down, everyday walking the dogs, fishing trips, even did me ok in the snow just before Christmas. At £35 they have paid for themselves many times over, not sure if i like the new style ones.

yellabelly78

Reaction score
Windchill can be a real problem if you're sat still all day. If there's even the slightest breeze on a cold day I'll put the brolly up to keep the wind off.

Also I find insulated salopettes are the way forward, I hate getting a cold lower back when wearing trousers & jacket.

And an obvious one... multiple thin layers are better than one or two thick warm layers.

stikflote

Reaction score
i have Derri boots which are very warm and easy to walk in ,my fishing mates got muck boots around two years old they are starting to split above the ankle,they are twice the price of the Derri boots i also have a pair of hotfootboots now about five years old still good and warm ,just funny for walking

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I bought some too and love them - despite the £70 price tag. Fancy writing up a review of them Jimmy?

As soon as I've field tested them - definately. As point of reference I went for the derwent for two reasons. Mainly cost, I couldnt justify £80 (Derwent were £51) on footwear I wont use in mega freezing conditions that often, because I dont fish in mega freezing conditions. Current temps and a tad lower are my lowest so the tay sport are a bit over gunned.

Uttings supplyed them overnight if anyone wants them, particulary if you are a size 9 which are very thin on the ground at the moment I found.

Thanks for the heads up from flightliner - they are soft and light and to be honest I'd wondered how much heavy abuse they take from really rough ground (plus brambles etc). That said I wont probably give them that sort of abuse but you never know.

EDIT I have the sundridge hot foot field boots and they are, well, weird to walk in. I'm planning more roving and some river (which means walking) work hence the change.