To go or not to go?

G

Geoff Cowen

Lads do you think it is worth going on Sunday it's going to be 0 Deg. C on Saturday night and 7 Deg. C on Sunday, bright and sunny according to the forecast. I now anything above 5 or 6 Degrees is OK for Barbel but as this is the first cold spell of the year what?s your view?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

A trip to the Swale is always good but you might be up against it unless there is a little colour in the water to offset the other factors and the liklely falling water temperatures.

Chub may be worth a shot though?

Also I suppose it depends if the alternative is a trip to the shops or decorating!

G

Geoff Cowen

The stretch I fish does not hold many Chub but if I go I will hedge my bets and take my Pike tackle.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can just picture the sun, breaking through the early morning frost, as a grayling comes to the net, oooohh yes.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Bit too low down the river for grayling I would have thought, Baz.

If its the stretch I'm thinking of Geoff there were always lots of Pike down by Nellies Beck to low doubles.Trotted livebait gave some good sport.

When I fished the Swale I used to give up on the barbel once the temperatures dropped unless there was a warmish flood on.

J

john ledger

Geoff
I should have been on the Swale today but called it off due to sudden drop in temp.Hoping next week might be better,sudden drop in temp plus North wind is no good on Swale plus its high pressure and bright,death knoll.
Mike Townsend and i went last Wed and caught a few chub but conditions where not too bad. The only place i fish on the Swale when its really cold and bright is Catterick for grayling

J

john ledger

Reckon around Maunby could be ok Geoff downstream in the deeper water near the willows,loads of big chub and fair few grayling if it gets tough

G

Geoff Cowen

If I go it will be to Cundell. I will just fish for Pike most of the day but lightly bait up for Barbel in some of the deeper water swims and give it a go mid afternoon. Looks like a good plan.
I can do a bit of Jerk Bait fishing as I roam about baiting up.

fred hall

Reaction score
I was wondering just the same about the Ribble this Sunday, Geoff. Ah what the hell, so long as I feel a bit better than I did at the beginning of this week I'll wrap up warm and go for any hour or three.

G

Geoff Cowen

Same here Fred. It's got to be better than running around after the wife!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Yours or Freds??

Good luck Geoff.I know Cundall well and although not many chub there are some good ones.

gilesy

Reaction score
geoff i fish the swale a lot around thorton bridge for pike and took some good pike early season last year, lamprey seems to be the bait up there,ive also taken a few from cundall "if im thinking of the right stretch where you leave money in box in farm and drive down fields" if so i had a bit of joy down from the big bend a few years back taking pike to 16lb on deads, again lamprey and roach.thats it you have made my mind up now,i was gonna do the river nidd saturday but decided now on the swale

G

Geoff Cowen

Yes Gilesy. My best fish from here was 17lb just up from the big bend.

gilesy

Reaction score
bloody struggle today mate,not a touch and didnt see a fish at all today,nothing not even dace topping ! very strange

G

Geoff Cowen

I went and what a lovely day it was but I had just 1 Chub of 3.5lb. The lad next to me had a 15.5lb Pike.