Belechan.

A

alan whittington

Anybody help in what dosages to mix into baits,ive had it a while and its so strong it makes me gag,its alright if you want to get rid of someone:),any ideas for a mildish bait?

A

alan whittington

Well Noknot i bought it with the idea of adding it to paste baits,as i say,even a small amount seems very strong(to me anyway).

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Yes it is pretty strong and it also comes in several different forms from several different countries.

I use about a heaped teaspoon full when making up a small tub of pellets.

I think of it as more of a Summer bait, but that could just be me.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
when you say "making up pellets" do you mean just sprinkle the belachan on them neat or is there some other preparation?

I've had a large tub of "solar" belachan powder for some time now and i haven't really got round to using it. I was thinking of making it into a paste for float fishing/stalking this coming summer, can anybody give some recipies on how to best make up a paste? :)

richiekelly

Reaction score
alan if your after a mildish bait i would start with a small amount of belechan and experiment with the amounts,as you say its very strong,it is made from fermented shrimp hence the stink, it is also very salty,i have only used it in boilies in small amounts as i didnt want the bait to become overpowered by it,i havent used it as a paste but i think if you get the amount right it is a good additive to use in coloured water,sorry that i cant help with amounts its just trial and error.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Hi Alan, With Belechan I've always found "less is more". It does work in strong dosses infact i've used it at nearly100% but results show less is better. Even in very small amounts the fish know it's there.
Incidently the best app I,ve found for it is when it's included in homemade bread (devestating if you can be bothered) Also if you do have a go, here is a TOP TIP.
DON'T cook it when the wife is at home like I did. divorce is expensive!

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score

quickcedo

Reaction score
How are you doing it all wrong if it works?
My prefered method is to use expanders then pump a belechan gravy into them. Or indeed whatever gravy I fancy on the day.

noknot

Reaction score
Thai shrimp paste in a tub, a good teaspon full into 4 eggs and a fishmeal base mix. Disolve the paste in a little warm water and mix with the eggs, awsome bait!
Had many Carp and Cats on this bait, even better with 15ml's of salmon oil;)

A

alan whittington

Hi Alan, With Belechan I've always found "less is more". It does work in strong dosses infact i've used it at nearly100% but results show less is better. Even in very small amounts the fish know it's there.
Incidently the best app I,ve found for it is when it's included in homemade bread (devestating if you can be bothered) Also if you do have a go, here is a TOP TIP.
DON'T cook it when the wife is at home like I did. divorce is expensive!
Hi Mark,i can imagine,you would be lucky to escape with your life.Cheers Noknot.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Never did any good on the paste itself Alan, or when it was wrapped around a pellet or boilie and at the time I was fishing relatively easy tench waters.

I remember one of the carp prog's once had I think it was Neil Smith showing it's use in a spod mix. He grated it into his mix I think!

beware

really!

rainmaker

Reaction score
belechan

Hi lads, i've been trying to get some belechan for a while now, i looked in all the supermarkets but with no luck, can someone point me in the right direction please. I think it comes in either blocks or in tubs...thanks in advance paul P.S. i've been told it is brilliant for barbel

quickcedo

Reaction score
I get mine from a local Asian supermarket. I have also got it from the local Chinese take away, always worth asking. Many bait companies sell it but, it's quite a bit more expensive through these outlets.