Float Fishing for Carp

K

Kevin Bourne

I am looking into buying a new Rod and Reel to go carp fishing next year but im stuck, i have friends who float fish for carp and use carp rods is this abit over the top? I have looked at buying a Fox Warrior XT rod or a Wilson Avon quiver but not sure on the reel.

sorry want to spend no more than about ?110.

Please advise.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
kevin,i can personally vouch for the john wilson rods,as i have several of them.not only do you have a rod for float fishing in the margins for carp or short range casting for carp,you also have a ledger rod for carp and other species etc....they really are excellent bits of kit!!!
if you are after a waggler rod just for carp float fishing then i`d suggest you buy something in the 13ft length range and this should allow you to cast further distances when required.the john wilson rod is only 11ft if my memory serves me right.
i cant vouch for the fox rod but i can reccomend the leeda"asassin 2" range of rods.i have a range of these rods packed away in my match type tackle and at ?30-?40 per rod they are bloody good value as well!!! cheshire guns and tackle and vale royal angling centre stock them and i`ve found their mail order service excellent.
as for a reel,you could opt for a small baitrunner type reel or just a good old run of the mill ordinary fixed spool one.either way it needs to be able to stand the rigours of constant casting and hard fighting carp.it would also be good to look for a reel that gives you a few extra spare spools as well.
load the shallow spool of the reel with a 100m spool of 8lb super shinobi(made by daiwa) and use 6lb super shinobi as a hook link--if its good enough for will raison,then its good enough for me.
hope this is ok....tight lines.

Francophil

Reaction score
Kevin,as you are looking to buy for next year you have plenty of time to shop around for the best that you can get for your money.

I agree with Nick King 3's view of the John Wilson Avon rod/s. An excellent all rounder for your rod bag although I find mine a little on the heavy side for me.

However, as an alternative all rounder (feeder + avon tip float section), I would suggest either the new Ron Thompson (Svensen Sports) B52 Barbel Rod, the Shimano Nexave Barbel rod or the 1.5lb test curve Shimano Beastmaster Classic Barbel Rod. These rods will easily handle double figure carp at longish and short range either on the float or on a feeder (my preferred method).

If you want just a carp float/waggler rod, go for a Drennan power carp float or carp waggler.

Search the internet for the best mail order price (+ postage)you can find for your preferred rod then bid sensibly for any you see on EBay. You've got plenty of time. The EBay seller SASIAN100 (find him in EBay's Fishing section) regularly offers/auctions new Drennan and Shimano rods. I've bought quite a number of rods this way and you will be surprised at how much you can save against the best internet mail order price if you are patient.

Regarding reels, my EBay advice again applies. I prefer Shimano. You are best getting a 4000 series reel and go for the best you can afford. The Shimano Stradic 4000 can be had on EBay for about ?60.00p. Alternatively the cheaper Shimano Exage is an excellent reel and the rear drag version has a very useful additional sporting drag.

Hope the above helps.

alan bettridge

Reaction score
Hi Kevin
I'm Like you new to carp fishing, but if you want real excitement get a pole, this great type of fishing and you can get going for as little as ?50, i paid ?200 for my new pole but the old one i still use, it's great fun.
as for carp fishing with carp rod 2.5 tc or so, i dont I have caught a 22lbs carp on 3.5 line on adaiwa match rod, and 40mins later on the bank, real sweat job, bettre than pulling their lips off, as i have seen.
good luck anyway.
Al

C

christian tyroll

alan i can see this must be great fun but have you ever thought of the fish?
and is there really much skill in playing a carp on the pole?

E

EC

Kevin, sorry for the late reply, have just spotted the post mate!

I have a shimano super ultegra 14ft Fast action float rod, I have landed fish to doubles using 5/6Lb hooklengths.

Maybe not the cheapest but definitely recommended, however, most firms do a 'power float' type model now so check a few of these out if you can, most will do a job!

I would however go for a proper float rod instead of an avon type as they will cast light floats and small baits further!

T

The Monk

Must say I have 4 of the John Wilson rods, they really are very good for the price

Kevin

Reaction score
Thanks every 1 looks like it is going to be a John Wilson Avon Rod or if i come across a good deal on a power float rod with reel. Can anyone advise on a reel but like ive said before i have a total budget of ?110 for the both.

cheers

Big Mart

Reaction score
I use a Shimano 3000R Nexave on my John Wilson Avon (Which does include a 2ft extension so you can use it as a 11ft or 13ft rod). Perfect balance in my opinion. Should get one for 20 - 30 quid.
The John Wilson Avon rod is rated up to 6lb line if I remember but trust me you can get away with 8lb very comfortably if needed.

colsmiff

Reaction score
You could look at the Ron Thompson rods. My missus has the panther match, which is a beefed up float rod. It will handle light lines for silverfish as well as haul carp as its designed for commercials.
I have a Nexave3000MR which is ok, but hasn't really been the same since I did a night session which saw 5 fish for 40lb.
Now I would always spend more on the reel than the rod, so maybe the Stradic 4000R or even something more expensive if you are going to be targeting lumps.

Kevin

Reaction score
Got myself a Wilson Avaon today and a Nexave 2500, with been new to this im still unsure how much line to put on the spools ive read them are these figures the max or the recommed amounts. The Nexave starts at 6lb on the spool does this mean i cant use 4lb please help.