A very interesting article

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Nice one Lee.

Years ago I used to chew the stuff. It certainly has no narcotic properties and is actually good food for fish.

The only narcotic sustances in the cannibis plant are to be found in the bud at the top of the plant.

Another interesting seed to consider is sorghum. We used to use large quantities of this stuff in the fermented state as groundbait for carp in SA. It worked a treat. Has anyone ever used sorghum?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Lee, I hope there's no exam to follow. There's no way I'm going to remember all those chemicals!

W

Wolfman Woody

I saw some shampoos and conditioners today that contained hemp oils.

Alright, it's got sod all to do with fishing, but interesting.

B

BLAM

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

I'm not sure I understand more than a small part of it, Lee, but it would seem to pass for a university dissertation.

Yet another top notch article anyway. UDAMAN.

P

paul williams 2

a couple of years back i put a large bucket of cooling hemp outside and forgot it.

One of my jack russells got at it and ate half of it....there was half digested hemp/dog crap all over the lawn for two days!

Stupid dog sits by the cooker just looking up if i cook the stuff now, she is mad for the stuff!......my other jack just ignores it!

W

William Spencer

lee,very interesting article.one or two minor points.
the amino acids, there are actually 21 the essential 8 and non essential 13 are required nutritionally by the human metabolic system.they are the building blocks of life held together in a chain of peptide bonds.the amino acids are found in protein.the most beneficial sources of protein are dairy products,lean red meat,chicken and fish.
carbohydrates
these are the bodies energy source.the B vitamins are essential for converting the carbohydrates into energy.what cannot be utilised is stored in the body as glycogen an animal fat.protein cannot be converted into carbohydrates,they are chemically composed in a different manner.glycogen can be utilised by the body if the body isn't nourished with enough carbohydrates.most commonly found in rice,wheat products,vegetables and fruit.the most complex form being found in wheat,vegetables.the form found in fruit is fructose and the sugar form sucrose.sucrose and fructose are simple carbohydrates and are converted by the body into energy quicker than complex carbohydrates.(if you are ever feeling run down a banan or two soon peps you up)
the atkins diet is of a moderately high fat content diet.as to not eating carbs there ar emore calories in fat per gram of food than carbs.the starches in carbs do bloat the body.

the article seems to be nutririonally aimed at the human metabolic system.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good God!
I am going to have to read this again, and again, and again.
What an article Lee. Excellent penmanship my friend.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
The leaves are a narcotic as well, but less so than the buds.

W

Wolfman Woody

Photo looks good Ric.

Graham should have some samples of hemp products from a new British grower. A review soon maybe.

It's good stuff, I have some paste which are the lees of a pressing for oil. Would make up into a nice past of shove in a stocking or PVA bag. Lots of possibilities.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

The twenty amino acids (that make up proteins)each have assigned to them both three-letter (can be upper or lower case) and one-letter codes (upper case). This makes it quicker and easier for notation purposes and are worth learning. The following list gives these notations along with hypertext references to download amino acid gif images and also interactive molecules.
The format of the list is: amino acid name - 3 letter code - 1 letter code (reference to gif image, reference to interactive molecule)

alanine - ala - A (gif, interactive)
arginine - arg - R (gif, interactive)
asparagine - asn - N (gif, interactive)
aspartic acid - asp - D (gif, interactive)
cysteine - cys - C (gif, interactive)
glutamine - gln - Q (gif, interactive)
glutamic acid - glu - E (gif, interactive)
glycine - gly - G (gif, interactive)
histidine - his - H (gif, interactive)
isoleucine - ile - I (gif, interactive)
leucine - leu - L (gif, interactive)
lysine - lys - K (gif, interactive)
methionine - met - M (gif, interactive)
phenylalanine - phe - F (gif, interactive)
proline - pro - P (gif, interactive)
serine - ser - S (gif, interactive)
threonine - thr - T (gif, interactive)
tryptophan - trp - W (gif, interactive)
tyrosine - tyr - Y (gif, interactive)
valine - val - V (gif, interactive

B

"Strictly speaking, carbohydrates are not necessary for human or fish nutrition because proteins can be converted to carbohydrates?the traditional diet of some people and many species of fish contains almost zero carbohydrate content, and they are very happy and perfectly healthy. They are on a permanent Atkins diet so to speak However, carbohydrates require less water to digest than proteins or fats and that being so are an important source of energy."

The conversion of amino acids into basic carbo-hydrates would be a Catabalolic reaction as I understood the research papers.

B

Hey but lets not split hairs some people think Taurine is an Amino acid

(when everyone knows it something you stick in Redbull....To give you wings) :O)

B

Gluconeogenesis, ultimately, is the generation of glucose from noncarbohydrate sources like lactate, glycerol, and amino acids. Many 3 and 4-carbon substrates can enter the gluconeogenesis pathway. Lactate from anaerobic exercise in skeletal muscle is easily converted to pyruvate; this happens as part of the Cori cycle. However, the first designated substrate in the gluconeogenic pathway is pyruvate. The vast majority of gluconeogenesis takes place in the liver and, to a smaller extent, in the kidney. This process occurs during periods of starvation or intense exercise and is highly exergonic.

Gluconeogenesis is NOT a reverse of glycolysis, the three irreversible steps in glycolysis are bypassed in gluconeogenesis. This is done to ensure that glycolysis and gluconeogenesis do not operate at the same time in the cell. The majority of the enzymes responsible for gluconeogenesis are found in the cytoplasm; the exception is pyruvate carboxylase which is located in the mitochondria. The rate of gluconeogenesis is ultimately controlled by the action of a key enzyme fructose 1,6-bisphosphatase. Most factors that regulate the activity of the gluconeogenesis pathway do so by inhibiting the activity of key enzymes. However, both acetyl CoA and citrate activate gluconeogenesis enzymes (pyruvate carboxylase and fructose 1,6-bisphosphatase, respectively).

Oxaloacetate (an intermediate in the citric acid cycle) can also be used for gluconeogenesis. Amino acids, after their amino group has been removed, feed into parts of the citric acid cycle, and can thus generate glucose in this pathway.

Most fatty acids cannot be turned into glucose unless the glyoxylate cycle is used, the exception being odd-chain fatty acids which can yield propionyl CoA, a precursor for oxaloacetate. Fatty acids are regularly broken down into the two carbon acetyl CoA, which becomes degraded in the citric acid cycle. In contrast glycerol, which is a part of all triacylglycerols, can be used in gluconeogenesis.

Gluconeogenesis begins with the formation of oxaloacetate through carboxylation of pyruvate at the expense of one molecule of ATP. This reaction is catalyzed by pyruvate carboxylase. Oxaloacetate is then decarboxylated and simultaneously phosphorylated by phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase to produce phosphoenolpyruvate. One molecule of GTP is hydrolyzed to GDP in the course of this reaction. Both reactions take place in mitochondria. Oxaloacetate has to be transformed into malate in order to be transported out of the mitochondria.

Typically, the last step of gluconeogenesis, is the formation of glucose 6-phosphate from fructose 6-phosphate by phosphoglucose isomerase. Free glucose is not generated automatically because glucose, unlike glucose 6-phosphate, tends to freely diffuse out of the cell. The reaction of actual glucose formation is carried out in the lumen of the endoplasmic reticulum. Here, glucose 6-phosphate is hydrolyzed by glucose-6-phosphatase, a regulated membrane-bound enzyme, to produce glucose. Glucose is then shuttled into cytosol by glucose transporters located in the membrane of the endoplasmic reticulum.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis"