Healthy food for taking fishing

Matt Brown

Reaction score
This morning I made the mistake of stepping on the scales in the bathroom. I'm the heaviest I've ever been and it's no good at all.

Normally, on fishing trips of 3 to 8 hours I'll take a pack of biscuits (Rich Tea usually) and I reckon this is part of the reason some of my trousers don't fit anymore.

My normal proviso with fishing food is that it needs to be small in volume, cheap, filling (I have a large appetite) and can be eaten bit by bit using only one hand, so I can concetrate on the fishing.

Does anyone have a solution or any suggestions?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

A packet of dried prunes or figs
A heathy sandwich of wholewheat bread, onions, beetroot and cold smoked salmon.
An apple.

Alternatives are pilchard and onion sandwiches (high in omega 3), Aubergine and Avocado, Tomato and onion.

In winter: A flask of hot Baxters Onion soup with a dash of Cognac - excellent on cold days.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Baxters make the best canned soups of all.

Another idea would be biltong or beef jerky.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Matt if I was you, I would put the car in the garage and get the mountain bike out!

And stop eating pies;-)

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Steve - you're dead right. Have you been watching me?

Ron, Salmon? Avocado? Lovely stuff - but how much? I can get 3 packs of McVities biscuits ('cause I'm posh) for 89p from a local shop.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

I'm on a diet as well and what is doing me in is the "lack of weight" healthy food seems to hold

I like the full feeling after a meal and a apple just doesnt deliver it.

On sunday I will be fishing peg 49 or peg 70ish and will have with me a pretty much zero fat thai silver noodle salad, come and try a bit!

G

Geoff Cowen

It's always a difficult problem especially this time of the year. You need good wholesome food to keep you going on a cold day. I like to take a flask of home made soup or casserole. Tinned products are too high in salt; got to watch the blood pressure it?s high enough!
You will just have to eat less while your not fishing.

colsmiff

Reaction score
Instead of cutting down on the calories, try upping your work load. Leave your trolley at home and carry all your kit, especially if your fishing that distant swim on the river ;O)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Smoked salmon is cheap enough these days. I also like tinned Alaskan red salmon.

Avoid white bread and some canned products. The best canned stuff is low in salt.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Trolley? I always carry my kit and I often fish far away swims. I'd be really fat if I didn't.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Matt, you have to be comfortable with yourself when you go fishing and that includes your bankside feasting. Bacon/sausage and egg sandwiches and a flask of tea/coffee/homemade soup are hard to beat on a cold winters day. Leave the dieting to the times in between fishing trips, you will enjoy it much more mate, honest, also, the extra fat layer will protect you from the cold.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Graham, good point although I'm not one for carting cooking gear around. It's all too heavy. A flask is a luxury that comes out on rare occassions.

M

Martin Womble

Hey Lee i shall be taking some pot noodle sh*t and a few kitcats in order to maintain my athletic build if you get peckish come and try some.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

What ever you do --DON'T take Ron's advice --He's having really bad problems with 'floaters'

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Homemade soups for winter with a chunk of good wholemeal bread.

Leek and potato is easy peasy.Just boil up some leeks and spuds in some vegatable stock from a cube and liquidise then season to suit.

A nice bit of cake for in between times.

In winter you burn a lot of calories just be keeping warm.

J

john ledger

Take a nice hot pork sandwich with loads of drippin plus two porkpies and eight eggs four packets of pork scratchings. The fat will encircle your heart so when you have an heart attack you will not feel it.
Remember where you heard it first

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

7am Little Chef full English breakfast.

11am Packet of Hobnobs

1pm Pizza delivered to swim.

7pm Kebab on way home (with chilli sauce)

8pm Pub

11pm Curry takeaway

12pm Into bed, wake the mrs, fart, out for the count

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Wol that sounds more like it!

I fished a Tench water this close season and on the way back at around 11pm I had to pass about 10 fast food shops.

I ended up having Chinese, Curry, Fish and Chips and so on every time - 3 times a week!

C

Chris Bishop

Stop fishing with Swordsy mate - never seen anyone knock up food like that on the bank.

Don't get me wrong, it was appreciated.

But he lived down here and went pike fishing, we'd make him PAC rep and we'd all weigh 20 stone.