Urban myth or true story?

sagalout

Reaction score
Johny Fishingers has just drained down his match lake at the Fish Eezy Commercial Complex and has found the bottom is covered in 6 inches (or 150mm if he's young) of luncheon meat fat.

This sounds like complete twoddle to me, so has anyone any info on this story or one like it?

keora

Reaction score
Usually, urban myths don't include a named person - it's usually "a friend of a friend" or "sombody told me".

If it is really true about the depth of the deposit, it's worrying.

stikflote

Reaction score
WHEN i was a member of P.A.D angling club, we had a talk given by ROY MARLOW,

he did say his company was called to a lake fish were dying and lake water stank

the lake was drained and that too had a layer of luncheon meat on bottom

After reinstating pool owner banned meat,

so im quite prepared to believe post by Sagalot

flightliner

Reaction score
A few years ago a local fishery near to my house had serious fish losses and they were drained and they to were littered with luncheon meat. After restocking meat was banned and things have been fine ever since.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Geoff, do you know this for a fact or did your mother's cousin's brother's best friend's dog tell you?

The late Vic Gillings told me about it - I think he made a video about it too, for Leisure Sport Angling if my memory serves me well. One of the Cemex guys can probably confirm it.

mikeshaw1979

Reaction score
Didn't their barbel grow extra barbels (barbels on the barbels so to speak) from the extra growth hormone released by all the 'Spam'? :eek: :rolleyes:

chav professor

Reaction score
Scary stuff! I would have thought that bacteria would have broken down the majority - could cause de-oxygenation of the water though. :confused:

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:13 ----------

Found this quote attributed to Roy Marlow:

“Owners and anglers need to stop blaming other factors for fish deaths and take a serious look at the type and quantity of baits that are used on a daily basis.

“Halibut and trout pellets are some of the worst things you could ever feed a coarse fish. They damage the liver with a terrible knock on effect to their immune system.

The fats from the bait are then deposited into the silt via the fish’s faeces and this, along with uneaten bait, can’t be broken down by the natural bacteria in the water, the result of which is deadly,” added Roy.

ref:Too Much Bait? : Niblet's Carp Fishing Blog

I am sure Roy had the best interests of his comercial fisheries at heart, but I will do a bit of research as to give Roy Marlow his full scientific title; Roy Marlow - I feel this statement needs a little closer examination.

stikflote

Reaction score
the amount of meat going in for matches caused the water to become poisonous
to the fish,the meat was rancid on the bottom,some of the anglers were using up 8 tins luncheon meat a match.
im led to believe that luncheon meat has now been banned at the Glebe fishery owned
by Roy Marlow, i may be wrong about this

The bad one

Reaction score
When you trace it all back it's "opinion!" And an opinion from fish scientist Simon Scott of Sparsholt. Simon said, no not the record by the 1910 Fruit Gum Company, "I am of the opinion...." However, he seems not to cite any research he's carried out, or anyone else, to come to this opinion.
Now as a prominent fisheries scientist I find that strange.

Usually all scientists who have a hypothesis, test that hypothesis to see whether it correct and then come to an opinion.

Call me a cynic, but don't most Commercials have a shop that sells bait at quite high prices? Wonder how the bait sales are going at Glebe Farm????

geggsnick

Reaction score
having returned to fishing in the last few years it really shocked me reading through AT and IYCF at how much bait people use, not only the cost of it all but the qty going in to the water, kilo's of boilies, gallons of maggots, meat etc... it's hardly surprising there are stories of fat laden lake beds and fish deaths

stikflote

Reaction score
Call me a cynic, but don't most Commercials have a shop that sells bait at quite high prices? Wonder how the bait sales are going at Glebe Farm????

The Bad One, you havent fished the Glebe fishery then?

there is no Tackle Shop on site unless he.,s put one on this year,there are no shops at all at either mallory park or glebe fishery,

trout pellets and halibut pellets were always banned there

The bad one

Reaction score
Nop I haven't fished Glebe or Mallory that's correct!
Generally I tend to stay well away from them and only fish naturally stocked waters.
However, when I went through a phase of chasing big perch I
fished several around the NW, all had shops that sold bait at high prices. Not that I bought any bait, as my fishing was done with worm. And with a little bit of effort on a damp night those come free :)

One I fished was charging 2 1/2 time the price for a 1K bag of brown crumb with red dye in it my local tackleshop sells. The "catch" was, you couldn't use your own groundbait on his waters, you had to buy his if you wanted to fish with Gbait. :eek:

When I went in my local tackleshop I was talking to the owner about this fisheries rip off prices. The owner is a match angler who fishes Commercials and he told me the Gbait he sells is the same as the one the fishery sold and the fishery buys it through the same rep for the same company he did. :eek::eek::eek:

stikflote

Reaction score
hello,The Bad One,
yes i do believe it about the groundbait, ive come across same thing with pellets
one the lads i fish with delivers pellets and other stuff to dealers and fisheries,
he was telling how a fishery could make out of a bag of pellets,at least £70, ,unfortunately
i cant remember how much they bought the bag for,

keith

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I don't object to them trying to make a profit from their enterprise. It's their money they are risking and I'll bet it's a lot tougher to make a buck from running a fishery than you imagine. If I had a fishery I would have a cafe and tackle shop too

The bad one

Reaction score
I don't object to them trying to make a profit from their enterprise. It's their money they are risking and I'll bet it's a lot tougher to make a buck from running a fishery than you imagine. If I had a fishery I would have a cafe and tackle shop too

Geoff there's a difference between making a profit and ripping the punters off. And in my view, charging 2 1/2 times the price for a bag of groundbait is ripping the punters off, particularly when the visitor, if they want to use gbait, can only use his.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Geoff there's a difference between making a profit and ripping the punters off. And in my view, charging 2 1/2 times the price for a bag of groundbait is ripping the punters off, particularly when the visitor, if they want to use gbait, can only use his.

Go to a rock concert and see what you have to pay for a hot dog. To the cinema and see what sweets or a coke costs... Both far more than 2.5 times what the rrp in the local supermarket is. I don't like it either but these people have to charge high prices and make huge margins because the overheads are so high. They are trying to make a successful business. If they succeed, a wise man reinvests and make the business even better, to everyones advantage. If they fail (usually through insufficient profits) the business goes under and - in the case of a fishery - it goes into rapid decline. (Around here anyway)