shelter/bivvy hybrid?

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I am trying to look for either a light weight shelter that you can zip in doors to convert to a bivvy if needed or a bivvy with zip out doors to convert to a shelter...in other words two for the price of one.

I will only do a handful of overnighters and will not be going in the late autumn and winter, so a need for an overwrap is not essential.

I don't care about the brand, but it just needs to be well made and light.

I have a maximum budget of £150

Anyone own one of these or can reccomend one or know of a new one coming through the pipeline.

Cheers in advance.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Chub S Plus Bivvy. I don't have one, I have the previous incarnation Snooper shelter. Wish I'd bought the bivvy for a few quid more for just the kind of reasons you've mentioned. Not the lightest in the world but then you really start paying for lightness and you may have to sacrifice the front if that's the priority.

I now have a proper bivvy for relevant circumstances and am looking for a shelter which really is lightweight and small. I suspect that I'll be going down this road.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
This one should fit the description:

30000pr_bivvies1.jpg

It has a zip off front, and the price is reasonable. There is a new, and more expensive, Mark II model on the market. But the old one is still easy to find: JRC Stealth Brolly System wthi Zip off Front, £109.99. Supplied without the stormpoles.

I did have a look at this one and thanks for the advice but at around 10kg...it's a bit too heavy.

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

Chub S Plus Bivvy. I don't have one, I have the previous incarnation Snooper shelter. Wish I'd bought the bivvy for a few quid more for just the kind of reasons you've mentioned. Not the lightest in the world but then you really start paying for lightness and you may have to sacrifice the front if that's the priority.

I now have a proper bivvy for relevant circumstances and am looking for a shelter which really is lightweight and small. I suspect that I'll be going down this road.

Sam, this seems to fit the bill, but I should have put on my question something very easy to put up and down, if it is similar to put to the snooper, how long does it take you?

Trouble is I go camping with the family and having to put up another tent will drive me crazy.....don't want much do I.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam, this seems to fit the bill, but I should have put on my question something very easy to put up and down, if it is similar to put to the snooper, how long does it take you?

Trouble is I go camping with the family and having to put up another tent will drive me crazy.....don't want much do I.

I find the Snooper is a doddle to put up and down (the S-Plus looks to be pretty much the same design). A boat load easier than I anticipated. It takes longer to put all the pegs in than it does to put the poles together and position it properly.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well I am having a clear out of tackle and I have a Nash brolly going, its the same as the JRC in the picture.

I bought it for my lads for short over nighters, but it hardly been used, due to the fact that they took their bivvys.

Its going for £75, buyer collects, send me a PM if your interested.

The bivvy Sam spoke about goes up very easy, as do all the pram hood bivvies

sam vimes

Reaction score

I've got a Nash S3 that wouldn't agree with you!:eek: It's a right royal wrestling match to get up and down. I suspect that two pole/rib shelters are relatively easy, three are much more difficult.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I've got a Nash S3 that wouldn't agree with you!:eek: It's a right royal wrestling match to get up and down. I suspect that two pole/rib shelters are relatively easy, three are much more difficult.

It must be you........:D, i dont have any problems with my Trakker that has 3 ribs.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
Well I am having a clear out of tackle and I have a Nash brolly going, its the same as the JRC in the picture.

I bought it for my lads for short over nighters, but it hardly been used, due to the fact that they took their bivvys.

Its going for £75, buyer collects, send me a PM if your interested.

Thanks Ray, I might consider this, I was trying to keep it under 5kg but a couple more may not hurt, is it the dome brolly?, it looks quite big when packed up will it go into a quiver or would you need to carry in seperately......I just don't want to go down the barrow route.

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

I find the Snooper is a doddle to put up and down (the S-Plus looks to be pretty much the same design). A boat load easier than I anticipated. It takes longer to put all the pegs in than it does to put the poles together and position it properly.

Cheers Sam, still tempted at the Chub it is around 5kgs.

Has anyone tried the wychwood 2 rib shelter? it seems to fit the bill

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The brolly will fit into a quiver no problems at all.

The shape is the same as the JRC brolly in the picture, will take a bedchair easy.

Has a couple of window options, as well as zip in door etc etc.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
Cheers Ray, looks a good deal for someone, I think I will have a look at the chub range for now as they are very light

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I am trying to look for either a light weight shelter that you can zip in doors to convert to a bivvy if needed or a bivvy with zip out doors to convert to a shelter...in other words two for the price of one.

I will only do a handful of overnighters and will not be going in the late autumn and winter, so a need for an overwrap is not essential.

I don't care about the brand, but it just needs to be well made and light.

I have a maximum budget of £150

Anyone own one of these or can reccomend one or know of a new one coming through the pipeline.

Cheers in advance.

I have had numerous shelters & bivvies trying to find the exact thing your after. Most are either too heavy or just too big, but the one exception is the JRC X-Lite bivvy. This a fantastic bit of kit weighing in at around 3kg as a bare shelter & with the front added nearer 4kg. Has a breathable material with front & rear vents, comes with all poles, pegs & groundsheet (should you wish to use) has 3 width settings so can fit in the smaller swims and packs down well. You can pick up for about £160 from Erics or around £100 off Ebay. Here are couple pics of when i first got mine. JRC have nailed it with this shelter imo

CIMG5304.jpg

CIMG5321.jpg

CIMG5309.jpg

Last edited:

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
I have had numerous shelters & bivvies trying to find the exact thing your after. Most are either too heavy or just too big, but the one exception is the JRC X-Lite bivvy. This a fantastic bit of kit weighing in at around 3kg as a bare shelter & with the front added nearer 4kg. Has a breathable material with front & rear vents, comes with all poles, pegs & groundsheet (should you wish to use) has 3 width settings so can fit in the smaller swims and packs down well. You can pick up for about £160 from Erics or around £100 off Ebay. Here are couple pics of when i first got mine. JRC have nailed it with this shelter imo

CIMG5304.jpg

CIMG5321.jpg

CIMG5309.jpg

Cheers Comfortably numb....not a Floyd fan by any chance?

I did have a look at the Sti x lite and this looked fantastic on paper but some user reviews are glowing and others complain about the seams failing and elastic within the poles going....seems strange because I have a few bits from JRC and always thought they were realy well put together and excellent value for money

However chub seem to have a consitant opion of good value et etc

I can't comment because I have not seen one in the flesh, how long does it take to put up? I would rather have your time than a claimed time.

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
Don't worry managed to get a new Chub cyfish lite for £132 inc P&P.

Can't be a bad price, they relisted it already at a buy it now price of £189.99 inc P&P

Thanks to all the posters.

I will review it when I have the chance to use it.

Last edited:

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Don't worry managed to get a new Chub cyfish lite for £132 inc P&P.

Can't be a bad price, they relisted it already at a buy it now price of £189.99 inc P&P

Thanks to all the posters.

I will review it when I have the chance to use it.

Good choice & on par with the STI X-Lite. Both are a far better shelter than the Snooper ;)