Great Dace Fishing

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I've always liked dace fishing, especially for quality fish.

The Wear is probably Englands finest dace river.

Well done, were any of the dace weighed?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
It does look like proper fishing. Ron - do you fancy a trip up there? I do.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Very much Matt, I'll give you a call.

Must find somewhere to stay the night, it's a long trek.

G

Geoff Cowen

Let me know when and I will join you, if that OK, it's about 25 miles for me. Makes a nice change.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I love dace fishing too, especially for the big girls with their big pidgeon chests.
If I get enough time I wouldn't mind a trip up there myself. Ive also heard there are one ore two big roach and chub in that stretch.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
108 miles for me to Bowden so if you dont mind i would like to join in as well depending on when you are going. The dace are very hard to find on the Ribble these days.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Look out Durham - the circus is coming to town!

M

Mike Parker 2

Great Dace & Grayling fishing on the Nidd at Knareborough at the moment and not as far to travel!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nigel, did you recognise the terminal tackle?

An olivette and dropper shot?

Now, where have I seen that before :-0)

In my book you have to go a long way to beat a good day's Dace fishing.
Not all fish have to be either huge or 'famous' do they?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I've always had a soft spot for dace. When I was in my early teens I used to fish the little River Ryton near Blyth in North Notts. For a period it bred enormous dace.

My best weighed 1lb 4 oz, weighed by two Worksop anglers who were on the river at the time.

Tag Barnes had near pounders from this water over the years. He aquired the permission to fish a very private stretch downstrem of Blyth. One day he set up a large metal tin over the river, full of maggots with a hole in the bottom. He fished there a few days later and had a some tremendous catches of big dace.

I have also had good dace from the Warks Avon and River Leam, mainly on bread crust fished for chub strangely enough.

One thing about dace is that they feed well in cold water and bright sunlight. **** walker used to get big dace by lowering a caddis down between streamer weed on the Ivel, many being taken at the bottom of his garden in Biggleswade.

Steven Gillham 2

Reaction score
i didnt weigh any of the dace on there own but the best would be around the pound mark.

the river at the moment is fihing its head off for dace and chub and its all the free waters that are fishing . around 2 pints of maggot and a pint of hemp will see you through a 5 hour stint. the best thing about the wear is that its a float anglers dream at this time of year,plenty of dace and the odd quality roach ( and you get a lot of greedy trout). i had 4 roach on this baths stretch this time last year for 7 lb -13oz.

if you need any information on the freewaters on the wear or about durham city angling club call anglers services on 0191 3784050

J

john ledger

Had my share of big dace including five over 1pound on the Swale near Catterick in a catch of over 20lb all dace.
Also had some big ones from the Dove Upper Trent Blackwater in Ireland and the local rivers Idle Ryton and Rother Don,in fact the Rother and Don are full of dace.The Dove at Tutbury in the eighties held a terrific head of huge dace the size of herrings
Always believe in twos company three is a crowd and fail to see how a large group of anglers will do any good apart from have a good day out but thats just my opinion
Feeding pattern is critical with dace to keep them coming and too much will send them down the river that is for sure.They are also one of the finest hook shedders of all fish and fine wired hooks are the best.
The river Ryton around the Blyth area has lost its huge stocks of dace due to water abstaction and cormorants and although good fish are still in they are far and few between,believe me the Rother is a good a bet as most,also the Don around Kilnhurst

Steven Gillham 2

Reaction score
the wear on this particular stretch is used to plenty of activity as there is a local rowing club just upstream on the river and you can still catch the dace when the boats are right in front of you. last week i was guiding my float right under the oars of an 8 man boat and still getting a bite. also this stretch is well used by local anglers and sometimes ive seen up to 25 anglers double banked and still catching. so in my eyes the more the merrier.

Steven Gillham 2

Reaction score
any one wishing to have a day on the wear i would gladly take them and show them where to fish,park and get bait from the local tackle shop. you can park right beside the river so no long walks. the parking is free on sundays and monday to friday where i park is ?1.50 all day.

stevengillham@tiscali.co.uk

the other free water is at the other side of the city and is more chub and barbel water called ferens park stretch and the parking is just the same . i can even supply some photos of the 2 stretches if any one emails me.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Steven,

Next time you fish there you must weigh your biggest fish as accurately as possible. A supermarket bag is the best way using electronic scales.

A genuine 1lb dace should get you a Drennan Cup award. Yes they are that rare.

J

john ledger

Been on the river at Durham and was suprised with the lack of flow.Last thing i would want is a boatcrew up and down the river but everybody to their own