Multiplier trouble?

W

Wolfman Woody

An answer to the birds nest problem is don't remove them.

Cast as far as you can first chuck - birds nest. Ignore it, wind in.

Next, cast as far as birds nest will allow. Further birds nest. Ignore it, wind in.

Repaeat until you are casting all of 3 feet. Pack up, go home.

Good days you might get as many as half a dozen casts on a trip.

E

EC

Quality advice their Jeffro lad, reminds me of my first sea fishing trips using a multi!
lmao

F

Fred Bonney

There was me thinking,Kevin will have the answers and,I was right.
Just as I thought i'd got the hang of it,it turned around and bit my bum.
Having fiddled with it in the backgarden for a while, I became aware of the importance of a good pair of scissors.What I didn't do though was take a 1000 yard spool with me.
Next time I will.
So,after the third nest of rookery proportions,it was back in the bag and the trusty fixed spool was there to save my day.
I'm not going to let the bloody thing get to me, and anyway,i've still got a nice few prize spools of Mr Chilton's line to go through yet!

alan

Reaction score
whats up with you all,

tight grip on the spool,
nice smooth cast,
release the spool,
feel for line lift with your thumb and slow the spool if needed,
stop it when it hits the water.
job done.

now try it on a beach casting into a force 8 wind.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

That's right Alan, What's up with them all. I've used a multiplier for over 40 years and for some sorts of fishing it's superior to any other reel.

I've never had a birds nest in over 30 years from these reels and I used to chuck well over 100 yards with them from the shore.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It has to be the right reel for the job!

I've cast 8oz over 100 yards easily, on the beach.
But the same reel won't cast a lure 30 yards on a river!

E

EC

Good point Fred

My Big(proper sea angler)brother always said

'First rule when using a multiplier is, always take a fixed spool with you as well!'

W

Wolfman Woody

"I've never had a birds nest in over 30 years from these reels"

Your nose has grown so long Ron, it came through the screen and poked my eye out!

I don't believe you.

Despite what I said, I'm not a bad caster with a multiplier and have three, 2 Abus and a cheapo Spider, which is quite good in fact. Get one with Magnetic overrun controller and they're ok.

However, I do get birds nests. Everyone does and I used a Mitchell 600AP to cast over 120yards at Llanfairfechan regularly.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Woody,

Ron has only got 25 foot of line on his multi......!

No birds! my arse! That's why he's only got 25 foot left........!

;-)

E

EC

The thing about multi's is, you think you've got it sorted, then you try a 40yard lob, take your mind off the job and end up with a reel full of spaghetti.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone remember the advice sheet that used to come with Abu multiplier reels?

It showed diagrams of how you should release the tension on the centrifugal 'brake' and waggle the end of your spinning rod until the lure just drops under tension off the spool.

Right, easy peasy - waggle, waggle, waggle and once set up just like the diagram you pick your spot and cast.

The Result?
A bloody great bird's nest fit for a crow-sized avian!

Half an hour of untangling later (thanks a bunch Abu) and you try again - the result?
another bloody great bird's nest - cut the line, pack up and find the nearest pub'!

The only real use for those instructions methinks is to have them framed and put on the fishing room wall!

:)

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
All very amusing, but somewhat misleading....

As Dog Biscuit said - the right reel for the right job. Multipliers are little use for casting light lures - 30g minimum to make them work properly; 45g plus is better. Light lures are best cast with a fixed-spool. A fixed-spool is more accurate even with heavy lures.

For beach-casting, multipliers are lovely. You need to practice, though. Dave Blaxland and I spent hours slinging leads on a large, open field until it got to the stage that we could cast and then lay the rod/reel down on the ground to look after itself until the lead touched-down (not recommended for actual fishing, just a "party trick" to demonstrate how trouble-free a smooth cast with a properly adjusted multiplier could be).

Italian cars..... I've never owned one. I've got an Italian wife (called Maria - but then all Italian girls/women are called Maria; it's the law), but have steered clear of Italian cars. Car-wise I prefer Japanese - they don't go wrong, they don't break down and they don't rust. Being a wimp I'm a fully paid-up RAC member, but I can't help thinking it's a needless expense.

W

Wolfman Woody

Disagree slightly Jim. I regularly cast lures down to 10grams with one (the cheapo Spider) and it's behaves fine.

The problem most anglers have, and I had at first, is in trying to cast with them using the same style as they would casting a foat with a fisxed spool reel.

They flick the rod tip to try and gain extra distance, but it just creates a very fast initial acceleration of the spool, result - birds nest.

Whereas, you should launch the lure/weight with a nice steady swing. The distance you get will be exactly the same, but because the spool accelerates at a more modest speed, it can be far easier controlled either by the magnets within the reel or by applying light pressure with the thumb.

It's also better the launch the lure into the air with the rod travelling in an upwards direction. It gives a little extra distance. Sounds difficult, but easier with practice. If you cast it as you would cast a float, the rod is already coming downwards by the time you release the line.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I know my comment may not be believed by many in this country, but I spent many many years chucking lures, plastic worms, spinnerbaits, crank baits you name it for bass using a 6 foot pistol grip rod and baitcasting reel.

One thing I will state here is that the baitcaster is FAR more accurate than a fixed spool over shortish distances, say up to 35 yards. There are very good reasons for this. You won't find a top American bass angler using a fixed spool reel, except maybe for very light baits. The accuracy you can achieve is incredible compared with the fixed spool.

You have to spend many hours practicing with a multiplier until you get it right, and when you do, birds nests don't come into it.

Seriously!

And seriously I will take on anyone using a fixed spool with a baitcaster over fairly short distances if accuracy comes into it!