Clear Water - Why?

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I walked to the station today by the Grand Union Canal and it was as clear as tap water after the cold weather.

I was speculating that the cold weather has killed the algae in the water which keeps it a little coloured.

Can anyone provide the correct explanation?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I suspect the same thing myself Nigel.
This is the time of year that I hope that a boat will come through, ideally about once every half hour to put some colour back.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Nigel,

There is a scientific explanation. The drop in water temperature means the water soluble limestone salts are no longer able to stay soluble so they crystallise on the tiny silt particles held in suspension making them heavier and therefore they drop out of supension making the water clearer. This is what also happens on the rivers around here in the same conditions.

Mark

F

Frothey

maybe we'll actually get a winter cold enough to kill the weed off, the algae and all the other bugs that havent been killed the last few years! a proper winter like we used to get whne i was a lad....

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thanks Chaps.Interesting stuff.

Mark , does your exlanation apply in chalk areas only or is it general?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I guess the fact that boats aren't moving through the canal is a factor in it being clear, the muck being stirred up off the bottom.