Thermoclines

colsmiff

Reaction score
Following on from Woodys post about cold weather carping this weekend:
Obviously in this spell of sharp frosts caused by the high pressure sitting over the UK, many fish will be situated in the thermocline. Is there a method that can be used to determine at what depth this will be situated in any given water?
I started to envisage a system which could be used with a marker rod, maybe some form of thermal datalogger which could be cast out and transmit the temperature back to the bank.
A bit like a fishfinder, but providing information which could be used for watercraft purposes rather than outright cheating!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
There are three layers in water, the epilymnion (the upper layer), the hyperlimnion (the lower layer) and the thermocline, which is the area of rapid change that sits between the two. The thermocline only exists in water with a depth of 20 feet or more. In waters where these layers exist it isn't the thermocline you should be looking for, but the epilymnion. During windy conditions the layers tilt and the warmest water will be found along the bank the wind is blowing towards.

But remember, in shallow waters these layers don't exist. The wind just mixes the lot up to give a fairly even temperature throughout. The only significant, natural, variation will be where streams flow in and the bank where the sun hits first in the morning.

colsmiff

Reaction score
Just goes to show , you shouldn't post when half asleep! of course the thermocline is the boundary, as the name suggests.
But surely the epilymnion, being the upper water layer, will be coldest in winter and unlikely to contain the fish?
So with say an average depth of 8ft, the fish will still be towards the bottom rather than the upper layers?

colsmiff

Reaction score
Having said all that I think bites will be very hard to come by this weekend, here in Cheshire at least. The frost is so heavy it's almost picture postcard like.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Had freezing fog here last night at 9pm when I picked the missus up from her place of work.

This morning at 7.15am I took her back again, and it WAS picture postcard like!