Making a Sounderbox

L

Lewis Hunter

Does anyone know of a site where it tells you how to make a sounderox?
Or does anyone have a diagram that shows you how to put one together etc?

Cheers

Lewis

D

David Will

Lewis best I could find was Mitch's page of delights.This features a how to make a Predator alarm. If you are technically minded you may be able to chop it around.You could try asking 'Mitch'.I found it by searching Google .His full name is Mitch Kelly. homepages.tesco.net~Mitch.Kelly.
There are some very cheap sounder boxes on the market also.Badger and Shakespeare come to mind.
Good luck.

P

Philip Inzani

Yes I have to agree with David. I messed about trying to make one as I thought there is no way I am paying out for some of the stuff I saw advertised. Unfortunatly just something as simple as getting the wire for the leads was a pain.
LIke David says there are some cheap ones around that do the job....Badger, GF, Shakespheare, its also worth phoing a few tackle shops and seeing if they have any second hand ones. I picked one up for about 7 quid like that.

C

Cakey

I have several circuit diagrams if your interested,but if you want cheap and no wires buy a ?23 battery baby alarm from argos, put the transmitter in a water proof box and sit under your alarms take the receiver to bed with you.one big advantage with this is you can also hear unwanted visitors in your swim.
CAKEY

P

Philip Inzani

David - what a good idea! What sort of range do the baby alarms have ? Also does it look like a baby alarm ?....in other words would I need to spray paint it black or camo paint it to maintain my street cred (cough)

R

Ray Bewick

Yep - interesting idea.

The ones I have used were for the designated purpose and either connected by wires or plugged into the domestic electrical mains; the latter were incredible, very sensetive with a range more then adequate for the Angler. My wife informs that as David infers there are now battery operated devices. Blimey, what will they think of next!.
Only problem I can think of - might be a problem with 'bleed over' (channel interferance from other similar devices), if the idea caught on!, image stormin' out of the bivy in the pouring rain only to see the guy a 100yds away into a good un & your indicators motionless!.

D

david granger

the best use for baby alarms is buy one and then you can listen to other people getting their leg over
the range on these things is surprisingly good phnaar phnaar.
this thread reminds me of many years ago " boring " i used to fish at a couple of lakes called horton kirby
" whether they still exist i dont know it must be thirty years ago" anyway a regular was always complaining
of missing bites as he was a heavy sleeper ??!! so "in those days everybody used HERON bite indicators"
but they did have variable sensitivity ! i rigged up a box for him containing a 6v siren from a chain alarm
duly later in the night a VERY loud wail came from this box which woke everybody for about 2 miles,
him included, he seemed to wake very slowly and sat up bearing in mind bed chairs only had 2 legs then was
catapulted screaming in his sleeping bag into the water suffice to say he didn`t moan about missing bites again.
d.g

P

Peter Morton

David,
Rest assured the lakes at Horton Kirby still exist and can be fished by those in possession of a Dartford DAPS season ticket.
Peter.

D

David OLoughlin

As a proud possessor of a 1 way wireless baby intercom & wireless baby, I can confirm that they are highly sensitive. They have 2 channels and can if in the wrong place have other interference intruding. If a lot of us used 1 on the banks there would be problems, if only a few use them it should be OK.
The many incidents where couples have been heard having a 'leg over', or bitching about their neighbours, have occured when using the 2 way intercoms that allow parents to coo coo back to their cherubs.

N

Neil (Gaff) Gaffan

you cheapskate gits! would you honestly risk missing that 40Ib common in the lake you fish for the sake of 50-60 quid?

C

Carp Angler

Neil, a lot of people with mortgages and family commitments find it difficult to justify spending loads of money on luxury items.

L

Lewis Hunter

Oh yeah! i am a junior so how do you expect me to fork out ?150+ for the top sounderbox??

J

joe burton

hi, mr david ian white, i was wondering if i could have the circuit diagrams for a sound box, thanks.

C

Carp Angler

The last time someone called Cakey "mister"

he was in court

K

Kevan Farmer

Surprisingly enough roller wheel bait alarms are not that difficult to make. I made my first one together with a separate sounder box. However, I adapted an idea from an electronics magazine about 10 years ago. For this reason I do not have a circuit diagram. Nowadays alarms are so cheap it is not worth the effort of building them yourself. I'd go for the second hand route, you will pick up a real bargain.

Kevan

R

Ray Bewick

Kevan writes:

"Surprisingly enough roller wheel bait alarms are not that difficult to make"

Blimey kevan, I thought I was 'careful with my cash' but trying prevent the bait absconding.......... :) )

J

Joe Burton

David white, could i possibly have those circuit diagrams please,

thanks,

C

Carp Angler

Joe,
Cakey doesn't check the forum on a daily basis, so you might be better off mailing him.

Use the 'E-mail member' link above his post.