Guardian says eat more coarse fish

dezza

Reaction score
When I was a youngster I used to eat the occasional perch and jack pike on a regular basis.

The only coarse fish I eat these days is the zander. There is no shortage of them and they are superb eating.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
The theory is sound, but it should be FARMED coarse fish. Carp grow fast and eat anything (except anything with my hook in it!) and by anything dont feed em fishmeal because that sort of defeats the object of saving sea fish if you feed farmed fish (I include salmon and trout in this also) ground up, undersized cod.

And besides can you imagine your average guardian reader (and I'm wildly sterotyping before any leap on me) wandering into a tackle shop asking for the best gear to catch coarse fish for the table ("is it a fair trade maggot ?") ? His sandles wouldnt touch the ground he'd be out that quick.

mol

Reaction score
When I was a youngster I used to eat the occasional perch and jack pike on a regular basis.

The only coarse fish I eat these days is the zander. There is no shortage of them and they are superb eating.

Zander are about the best eating of any freshwater fish

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Keep your hands off our Fish, simple as that, We have enough Sh*te going on with our waters as it is, without tw*ts like this going off on one.

If it wasnt for us anglers there wouldnt be half the fish or waters left in the first place.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Quite so. Those of a certain vintage I am sure will have tried the odd coarse fish over the years. I never found them terribly palatable with the exception of eels which were jolly tasty. I remember a pike once that was not bad but other than that everything I tried was pretty disgusting,even perch which were supposed to be good eating.

And it was many,many years ago.I wouldn't do it now even if I could.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I went to Finland and fished both rivers and lakes.
Blanked every time but one local took us out on his boat and dropped us off and and returned later to take us home. He had a bucket full of small silver fish which he had caught in gill nets. After battling with a Finnish/English dictionary I learned these fish were vendace. Later that evening my hostess served up some tiny fillets of fish fried in butter. The texture and flavour was a treat until I found out they were the aforesaid vendace. I suppose it's because these fish are so rare here in UK I felt a bit bad , maybe they are not so rare in Northern Europe....

flightliner

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I went to Finland and fished both rivers and lakes.
Blanked every time but one local took us out on his boat and dropped us off and and returned later to take us home. He had a bucket full of small silver fish which he had caught in gill nets. After battling with a Finnish/English dictionary I learned these fish were vendace. Later that evening my hostess served up some tiny fillets of fish fried in butter. The texture and flavour was a treat until I found out they were the aforesaid vendace. I suppose it's because these fish are so rare here in UK I felt a bit bad , maybe they are not so rare in Northern Europe....

Last year my daughters friend from the Chech republic stayed at our place for a week. Over there its standard practice to catch freshwater fish the same as ours and lob them in a barrel of saltwater until needed.
Midweek I went Barbel fishing and had a reasonable day. When I got home she asked what I had caught, telling her she said she would look forward to a "taste of home" but I told her I had put them back-- She thinks the british are barmy

chav professor

Reaction score
My Friend went to the wedding of his friend Zanzanian friend and Swiss partner. Minja, the Tanzanian and had never been line fishing before. Staying on a site on the banks of lake lucern in switzerland, my friend, a passionate angler had anticipated the opportunity. The only fish of the evening fell to Minja's rod - a CHUB of 7lb2oz (I have the picture if i could add it) - it was Collosal. Minja could not be persuaded any other way - it had to be eaten!!! Barbequed and discarded due to the foul muddy taste. smame:confused:

By the way, it was caught on a live bait!!

dezza

Reaction score
There are plenty in the Trent, where they don't belong.

Remove as many as you can is what I say, they are eating the indigenous species such as roach.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I'm sure I remember hearing (a few years back) that the Zander was the biggest threat to UK fisheries ever known, that it was going to sweep through the UK eating everything in its path, breeding uncontrollably etc etc etc... Yet when you read reports of people trying to fish for them, there's the usual story of plenty of blanks and disspointing results.

I've eaten coarse fish in the past and I really don't think the entire readership of the guardian is about to buy a rod licence and start taking fish. Firstly, you need to factor in the equipment needed to get started in the first place, then consider the amount of time you'd need to spend in order to catch anything worth eating. Sure, you'd probably take a couple of small roach or perch, maybe a small pike if you get to grips with it... but is that actually going to feed the family effeciently, relative to the amount of time you've spent? An allotment will produce vegetables, as long as you put the work in. Fishing is nothing like as guaranteed.

And then there's the final part. Once this fish has been caught, it needs to be despatched - knocked on the head if you feel like making it quick or left to suffocate if you don't. Then when you get it home, it needs to be slit from its bum up to the gills and the guts taken out. Some of them come out easy, some of them are a bit more of a struggle. I'm familiar with this process, having gutted my own sea catch a few times and a small pike way back when I was a kid. However, for people who's idea of food preparation is opening a packet and slipping it in the pan, I think this could quite easily be a step they're not prepared for.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I've eaten coarse fish in the past and I really don't think the entire readership of the guardian is about to buy a rod licence and start taking fish. Firstly, you need to factor in the equipment needed to get started in the first place, then consider the amount of time you'd need to spend in order to catch anything worth eating. Sure, you'd probably take a couple of small roach or perch, maybe a small pike if you get to grips with it... but is that actually going to feed the family effeciently, relative to the amount of time you've spent? An allotment will produce vegetables, as long as you put the work in. Fishing is nothing like as guaranteed. And then there's the final part. Once this fish has been caught, it needs to be despatched - knocked on the head if you feel like making it quick or left to suffocate if you don't. Then when you get it home, it needs to be slit from its bum up to the gills and the guts taken out. Some of them come out easy, some of them are a bit more of a struggle. I'm familiar with this process, having gutted my own sea catch a few times and a small pike way back when I was a kid. However, for people who's idea of food preparation is opening a packet and slipping it in the pan, I think this could quite easily be a step they're not prepared for.

I concurr.

And any business that starts selling coarse fish is pretty quickly going to have to explain where their supplies are coming from.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
What, like tesco ? They sell carp in certain stores already and, as its tesco, probably wont feel the need to explain anything to anyone. I dont doubt smaller fish mongers sell imported carp, all legit, as well, no doubt aimed at our eastern european freinds.

chav professor

Reaction score
Eastern Europeans? I've been talking to them sharing tips and our ethos of catch and release - seems to work. less incidents of people taking fish for the pot. The Guardian is just inflamatory - don't rise to the bait - Right wing T@ssers!

I have eaten Carp in germany and very good it was too! maybe an oportunity for a entrepaneur to start farming. River fish just taste of mud, so that rules out black market sources (I hope):rolleyes:

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
What, like tesco ? They sell carp in certain stores already and, as its tesco, probably wont feel the need to explain anything to anyone. I dont doubt smaller fish mongers sell imported carp, all legit, as well, no doubt aimed at our eastern european freinds.

But that's what I meant, they will have a legitimate supplier rather than a local shop (possibly) selling illegally caught fish to satisfy a local demand. Which one would hope the EA or the AT would investigate.

waggy

Reaction score
I have to say that coarse fish do not taste muddy if prepared and cooked properly. When I was a young'un we and many people in rural N Lincs ate roach, perch, pike (delicious), eels (extra delicious), flounder, bream and tench. As some one's pointed out, you need to use salt and scale them properly. We never ate gudgeon although the French rated them highly and had the custom of bankside barbeques at the time of capture.
There were no carp about at that time but we would have eaten them if there had been, given that they were introduced and bred as table fish anyway.
We did try chub just once, so that my Granddad could demonstrate why we shouldn't make the same mistake again - quite foul.

noel

Reaction score
Those of us of a certain vintage 50+ will remember a chapter in the early Scouting for Boys book where the different qualities of river fish for the campfire were discussed.