Mark Downes

M

Mike Parker 2

I think the response to this article says it all!

No one on here has commented.

Personally I do not like match fishing - I think that it takes the fun out of fishing. But then again I also think that footballers should not be waged but paid by results. As for the so called amateur athletes it?s a bleeding joke!

Our GB Match team are probably the last bastion of the true amateur, they all sacrifice a hell of a lot to fish at this level, and as such are completely ignored by all and sundry the lads (and lasses) probably the only truly amateur sportsmen/women we have in this country and as such the powers that be see them as unworthy.

Perhaps if Mark took up school crossing patrols or worked for the council he'd get an MBE for doing the job he was paid to do!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He has been at it for a good many years now,
that's dedication for you.

Whoever designed the logo for the NFA, should have dotted that float down more.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I've known Mark Downes since he was a young lad and though not a particular fan of his no one can doubt his ability to produce a winning team. He has for many years captained the Starlets side (still does) and there isn't any competition in fishing that they havn't won, some of them many times. A brilliant canal fisherman and no mean man on a river either he earned his place in the England team and deserved his position as coach and though a lot of people doubted him at the start he's produced the goods yet again. The unfortunate thing is, this will never be recognised by the media because they seem to think there is some sort of stigma attached to fishing. I can't see this ever being changed mores the pity, Bob Nudd as sportsman of the year is a prime example where they didn't even consider him or, I suspect, bother counting the votes.

MJ

Reaction score
I saw this press release in the news, and also had an email sent to me from the NFA with the same article. Something struck me about it...

...who did win the award?

I could find no mention of this year's award on the sportscoachUK website. Last year it was Amir Kahn's boxing coach, as I remember it being on the news.

Mark has done a grand job, and it is shame that his efforts have not been recognised. However, if he had won it, would anyone outside of angling know anything about it?

Who did win?, and which sport is proud to have the 'sportscoach of the year' in their ranks? any ideas anyone?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not forgetting to buy an E.A. licence way back in errrrm?.....might have helped him through (o

N

Nigel Moors.

Might incur some wrath this comment but come on!!! Sports coach - I don't think so. Fishing is a fantastic leisure activity, hobby call it what you will but it isn't sport. Some if the top match anglers are in even worse shape than darts players. And who sees that as a sport?....

W

Wolfman Woody

Baz - not sure if what had happened is he'd bought one and lost it. I forget the outcome of that.

But David Hall was charged with fishing without a licence and gave a false name at first, to boot. Bet lots of people read his mags still.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the outcome either Woody, but I think he did get fined.
I remember a discussion on this forum about 2 years ago. Did one of our members (Digi monkey) say that he had nicked him??

S

Simon Barnard 2

Angling will never be treated as a sport, as most of us would recognise a sport ( fottie, athletics etc)as we know it. Certainly not outside of angling circles, thats for sure. It's to much of a hot potato politically or has the potential to become a hot potato - As fox hunting.

We have to acknowledge these greats within our ranks gents, and make sure we do.