Barbel in Nets

T

Terry Davison 1

Many thanks to Bob Roberts for taking the time and trouble to pen another great article. I would just like to inform the readership taht on an educational visit to a fish farm last month, we were informed that their barbel breed quite well in stillwater. Not only that, when they are about 3-4 inches long, they can be retained in nets (approx 12ft long, 4ft wide and 3ft deep) for at least 2 years. The fish are very happy in the nets, fed daily and reared until they are a suitable size for transfer to other waters. This process produces very healthy fish showing no signs of stress or impairment in any way. So yes, some can rant and rave about how bad it is to put barbel in nets, or god forgive us stillwaters; but lets see the scientific proof and facts before someone 'in authority' lays down the law. As in most cases, my personal opinion is that common sense IS THE LAW. Keep them on their toes Bob.

Simon Holden

Reaction score
Barbel breeding in stillwater? That's a new one on me. As far as I am aware, fishfarms produce barbel by injecting the broodstock with hormones before stripping eggs and milt artificially. I would be very interested to hear more details of the farm you mention.

Andy S

Reaction score
i've had a bit of personal experience with barbel in nets. I used to own a ?30 fox spoon with a knotless mesh. On 2 occasions i landed barbel that managed to get the spine of their dorsals caught up in the mesh. The mesh had began to damage the fin by tearing it and removing the spine from the main part of the fin. I cut the net in the end as I didn't want to apply too much force.

I now own a Barbel friendly meshed net from fox ?50 and this so far has worked fine. The mesh is much finer and is again knotless. I've also heard of similar things with keepnets and barbel getting their spines caught up in the net but never actually witnessed this. Neither have I heard of barbel friendly nets for keepnets.

At the end of the day we are fisherman and have to accept that the very process of putting a hook in a fish is damaging but we can do our best to limit this. I guess it's just a case of were do you draw the line? Having had 2 bad experiences I didn't want a 3rd BUT if I hadn't had those experiences i'd still quite happily be using that old fox spoon.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Barbel in keepnets - talk to me about it.

In the sixties we often put lots of barbel in keepnets, nets that were knotted, yet up to 36 inches in diameter.

Personally I have no use for a keepnet when barbel fishing these days but I can see Bob's point when it comes to the way some people mishandle them on the bank to get the photo they want.

I can't see any problem with putting one barbel into a keepnet pegged upstream to revive it.

And Bob is right about getting bored. I have done less barbel fishing during the past few months because doing it has become a little like following a set drill.

And that can get boring.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Bob, I can see what you getting at with the handling, but if those angler opposite had prepared themselves properly and rested the fish in the net for a minute or two everything would have gone much more smoothly.

Here's a tip for everyone; Attach a set of foreceps to your unhooking mat so they're always to hand when you lift a fish onto the mat. (Make sure you have a spare pair or two in your bag.)

B

BLAM

Barbel "spoons" with wide mesh are certainly easier to maneuver in flowing water but I'd personally rather struggle a bit with a narrower mesh than keep the fish out of water any longer than necessary while checking/treating fin damage.

That being said I've just finished reading December's Coarse Fisherman and the various rants specifically related to Barbel only tend to annoy after a while. No mention is made of other fish suffering as per usual.

If the Barbel is that sensitive then don't go trying to stick hooks in them in the first place.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Absolutely spot on, Matt, as ever you hit the nail on the head time and time again.

Just off the phone from a heated discussion with a prominent Barbel Society person. Apparently he feels this is not a topic that should be discussed on the FM forum as it's Barbel Society business only and he adamantly refuses to get involved in any debate on here.

He stated, "The Barbel Society is willing to sit down with the NFA at any time and discuss the issues but they will not contact the NFA direct and organise a meeting. If I write to him, or Steve Pope, at their home addresses, stating a place, a date and a time, they will attend..."

Does fiddling while Rome burns spring to mind?

And if I sing, "LA, LA, LA!" loud enough I can't hear you either.

Look guys, sort out the bl00dy handling code man and stop acting like prima donnas! Show leadership and give authoritative guidance for once.

And just in case you don't know who to contact the following offer has been on the table since 17th August:

My name is Sam Craven-Griffiths, I am the Administration Officer at the NFA HQ.
Your article has come to my attention and I have made your concerns aware to the President and the CEO. The President would like to convey that if we are able to assist with this matter in any way, then please let us know how we can be of any assistance.
I would be grateful if you would contact us at the office at office@nfadirect.com
Yours sincerely
Sam Craven-Griffiths

National Federation of Anglers
National Water Sports Centre
Adbolton Lane
Holme Pierrepont
Nottingham
NG12 2LU
Tel: 0115 9813535
Fax: 0115 9819039
Email: Sam.cg@nfadirect.com

Does anyone else out there think it might be a good idea if the Barbel Society joined forces with the NFA and came up with a code that puts the barbel's interest first and takes into account the wide church that angling is instead of the views of a selfish minority?

Or do we have to go down on one knee and beg them to attend?

C

Chris Pearson

Wonder how he got on with the mahseer,thought we would have had an interesting article about that rather than more regurgitated shite about the BS.

T

Tony Rocca

That will be it Chris, Post Mahseer Deprivation Syndrome, its common amongst those that travel half way round the world for 1 fish.

T

Tony Rocca

Fred, this is the mental illness thread, not the "snacks of yesteryear" one.

C

Chris Pearson

I have to drive all the way to Stoney Middleton and sometimes I only end up with a rissole and I'll tell you that really pisses me off sometimes.

T

Tony Rocca

Dont know Chris, Did you here about the 22 being genuine? Shhhh!

Rissoles are ok in my book.

J

john ledger

Does this mean i can place my one pound eight ounce barbel in the net