Thermal underwear for winter fishing

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I don't normally wear long johns although I do have a set of thermal underwear which I bought many years ago. I havn't kept up with modern winter clothing mainly because I don't do an awful lot of fishing in the very cold weather these days, a combination of being nearly 70 and having a bad heart. I'm beginning to think that maybe I should consider buying some of this modern thermal underwear for normal everyday use because I do feel the cold very much these days and I understand it to be an excellent base layer.

I know some of you out there have a good idea about whats best so what is it? Does it have to be breathable, is one material better than another? I could do with some ideas.

Andy Tully

Reaction score
I'd vote for Sundridge Sleepskin too, though it's probably a bit heavy duty for everyday use, it's great for really cold days on the river bank.

These look as if they might be suitable for you. Svendsen Sports Scierra Drylite Underwear

If you fancy something more traditional, go for thermals with Merino Wool in them, it's lovely and warm, soft and whicks moisture away from your body. It is a bit more expensive than cotton ones though.

Try to keep away from cotton, if you get sweaty it holds the sweat next to your skin and becomes clammy. Man made or wool fibres are better as they whick the moisture away from the skin so you won't get cold patches.

W

Wolfman Woody

For everyday wear, Graham, have a look in my favourite gents outfitters, Millets!

Peter Storm does some good stuff with long sleeves. The material is polyester and viscose to wick the sweat away quickly. And it is very comfortable.

They do it in white and navy blue.

I'll be wearing it soon for film shooting when I have to spend hours waiting outside in the freezing cold.

It's in Blacks as well, part of the same group, but don't get Millets own though.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
For the price Sundridge Sleepskin is very good, I have better and more breathable next to skin tops and bottoms but they are a lot more expensive.

I got the Sleepskin top with my Igloo suit and was a bit sceptical of its qualitys but I tested it on a 2hr hike with the dogs and it performed well, better than I expected.

Woody is right, Peter Storm gear is ok for the price but the Sleepskin will be warmer.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'm surprised there've been no votes for Damart... is there something wrong with it? Way back before everybody and his sheep was producing "thermal" clothing, Damart was pricey, but good, nay, wonderful. Has it been overtaken?

G

Ged

Damart has been surpassed.
I have a heavy duty thermal set by damart, After a few hours, the cold seeps through. I also have a lighter set by Reggatta, cheeper and it keeps me warmer than the Damart.
The best I have is polartec by jack Wolfskin. Pricey but quality and warm.

fred hall

Reaction score
Had an outing yesterday in Peter Storm thermal T-shirt and Regatta long johns. Given the prices I was impressed with both.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Thanks lads for your input, Damart, they're the ones I have now and though absolutely fine on cold autumn/spring days they aren't quite so effective on very cold winter days, they are a bit heavy too which is why I'm looking to upgrade. I quite fancy the sleepskin stuff for fishing, in fact I'm going to buy some, but not for everyday wear, I might have a look in the bespoke gents outfitters Millets or the like next time I'm in Gloucester.

Not all that long ago most of the winter sports underwear and the stuff these Arctic explorers wore was made of silk which was both light but very effective, I wonder why they don't use that anymore, is it because its too expensive or is it not so good as modern fibres?

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
I've got the regatta one's, just bought them recently, the ones that come stuffed in a small box, about a tenner a piece for top and bottoms, was very impressed with them!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Just come back from the local tackleshop and he's ordered me a sleepskin which comes with a fleece as well for ?49.99, thats about the price of the sleepskins alone on the web and I don't have to pay p&p either. I don't really need another fleece but hey! who's moaning.

I've also ordered a set of the Svendson thermals mentioned above ?19.99 plus ?2.00 p&p from Tackleshop and he tells me theres been a run on them over the last few days, I wonder if thats down to FM? I told them it was anyway, nothing like a bit of publicity eh! He says they are the best he's seen and everyone who has used them rates them as excellent especially given the price (normally ?29.99), he also said they are as light as a feather too which is just what I want. We shall see.

W

Wolfman Woody

"Sleepskin is good, but the pants are too hot!"

Thought hot pants were a thing of the 70s.

W

Wolfman Woody

"theres been a run on them over the last few days"

Like you used to get in nylons stockings. Nail polish always did the trick for me, though.

ooops.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The Svendson drylite underwear was delivered today and to be honest my first impression wasn't a good one. For starters theres no flyhole and when I tried them on I found that, though I had ordered large, they barely went round my 36/38 waist but they certainly feel very soft and snug. I am pondering whether to send these back and order X large but I'm worried that the legs and arms will be too long in the larger size. Whether they keep the the cold out remains to be seen.

Y

yoggy

Forget all that thermal underwear lads,just put a pair of yer wife`s tights on,yer legs will be as warm as toast...and please no smartarse remarks!!!! ;-]