line conversion

Reaction score
Could anyone please let me know what the conversion is for mm to lbs for line strengths. Thanks in anticipation. Iam always having trouble converting when I see them in the magazines.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

This is virtually impossible.

The diameter of polyamide lines vary so much, eg unstretched, pre-stretched or PVDF coated for the same breaking strength of line that no-one would be prepared to calculate a conversion chart.

Many lines have the diameter and breaking strength stated on the spool. But even then the figures are not always accurate.

fred hall

Reaction score
When I retire I will construct a formula to answer this one Trevor. It will however have to wait in the queque-inventing the warp drive is first.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The warp drive will be easier Fred.

It's also a lot easier to explain string theory.

Reaction score
Thanks guys I didnt think it was so complicated. I will just have to look at the packet as suggested by Ron. Thanks anyway. Just thought I would ask.

W

Wag

While we're on the subject, can anyone explain why line has started to be rated by diameter?
It is only a valid measure if all lines are of the same material, which obviously they are not.
The right line for any given circumstance is surely a complex mix of breaking strain, wet knot strength, diameter, buoyancy, abrasion resistance, stretch, suppleness,refractive index, colour etc.
Diameter would seem to me to be relatively unimportant.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I think the diameter of monofilaments is important because we can get an idea of how stiff the line is.

For a homogenous material stiffness varies with the fourth power of the diameter.

This means if you double the diameter you increase the stiffness by 16 times. And ther less stiff a line is the more naturally a bait will behave in the water and the more bites you will get.