A Handling Code

F

Fred Bonney

Well then,after you've all been to have a look,at the Barbel Societies handling code.Let's start a separate post and put together a sensible view.
One that's not put forward with an ulterior motive.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I really like the handling code except for the line in the recommendation at the bottom;

"There is no place in barbel angling for keepnets."

If a match angler reads that there's a chance of them dismissing the BS or the handling code as 'preaching'

I think the handling code needs to get out there more and I think moves are being made in the right direction. There's a great article in the new Coarse Fisherman by Steve Pope for instance.

F

Fred Bonney

Alright,this is a Barbel Forum but,if you think all fish should be treated the same,which I certainly do,just forget the party politics game as put forward elsewhere and think generally about fish and our need to care for the creature that we all get our challenge from.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
The only point I'd like to see discussed further is whether the NFA can be persueded to come on board and a plan for handling fish in matches be drawn up.

I get the impression from Bob that the NFA are willing to listen (I'm surprised about that, but very pleased) and I don't want the opportunity to be thrown away.

Maybe this should be discussed on another thread.

B

BLAM

If this is a discussion about the BS's handling code per se then I can't see any problem. I've read it (again) and it's pretty comprehensive. Point 14 addresses Barbel in matches and given that this document is only a "code" or "recommendation" I can't see where the preaching is coming from.

It would be getting off topic to start discussing Bob's article (again) in this thread surely?

F

Fred Bonney

Part of the problem to overcome in your minds, is the view that BS is full of old traditionalists,in Grahams'words "TheBarbel Police".
I can assure you,in my experience they do not exist,well, not in any great numbers.
If they did and if they were,I certainly would not want to be part of the Society and I am pretty certain that many of the members I have met, wouldn't be.
So the 1500odd members are,just anglers who have a particular affinity to Barbel.
Not exclusively I might add.

F

Fred Bonney

Brad,I think it's been discussed and too be fair, there are not enough members of the Society that actually are registered to post, compared to this site.
Besides that,lets get a larger audience to get their views across.

T

Tony Rocca

Matt,
"There is no place in barbel angling for keepnets."

Depends how you read it, it doesnt say there is no place in match fishing for keepnets, but then again the match fisherman may be targeting barbel on, say, the Severn, he is then barbel angling, or is he?

the meaning/intent could be clearer, I agree.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
Considering that River Matches are so few now what would be the problem with single "larger" fish being weighed at source and released -say fish over 5 pounds of ANY species.
Surely unless someone is having an absolute flyer it would not be a problem as large numbers of matchmen is a thing of the past with average numbers about 15-25 being the norm now?
Or a step in the right direction could be to have two keepnets and if you catch a "larger" fish it gets rested and put in a seperate net on it's own that is pegged out properly until an official is to hand to weigh it,put it back and add the points/weight to a card with your name and peg on.
Our Match "brothers" have as much right to catch them as anyone and if you are on a peg where it would make sense to pursue Barbel then you are going to do it are you not?
I think the real problem comes from the release as the first time I went to collingham a matchmen just tipped his net up and dropped some "larger" fish from net to shallow gravelly water,Matt B was there as well as it was before the fish-in last june,and If I remember right one of the "barbel" lads went to have a word in his ear
This is where the NFA needs to offer their own "Handling" code that is geared towards Match fishing and echo what the BS are trying to say but take into account that a "match" means they cannot abide by the code totally.
One step further and really it should become part of the EA licence that ALL fisherpeople read and understand that "specimen" fish of all species should be handled with care and consideration and a code of conduct issued.
Then it is OUR duty of whichever club we are in to stop bad handling/excess time out of water/no resting of ANY fish so that it returns to fight another day for another angler and also to breed and safeguard the sport for the next Generations.
That could mean reporting someone or telling them personally,I think most people do handle them as best they can and sometimes its just a case of Education .
One last point-maybe I am stereotyping but I bet the fisherman(generally) that handle fish with no respect are the same people that leave litter-you betcha.
Regards Matt

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
Another one for the Matchmen-outsize keepnets-twice the width of a "normal" net with better flow made out of a product similar to coated braid so no tangles
Surely this can be designed for matches ?
And NO I don't use a keepnet for Bigger species only if i am targetting Roach/bleak or just general trotting on a river.
And YES I am in the BS.

Barbel Police,no such thing I just think we should ALL stand up and be counted as Fish police to anyone that doesn't care for their quarry as another living creature .
I liken fishing to Birdwatching it's just you have to catch em to look at em.
nuff said
regards Matt

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
I think point 14 should mention that keepnets which are used in matches should be, if possible, staked out faceing upstream. It would seem to me anyway that this would be advantagous in helping a barble to recover from the fight.

Also the point at the end about barble anglers being against barble being stocked into stillwaters comes across as telling you what you should think without giving any details as to why, I know it obvious to most.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Fred wrote, "Part of the problem to overcome in your minds is the view that the BS is full of old traditionalists, in Graham's words, 'The Barbel Police'."

I'd like to make it clear that when I coined the phrase 'Barbel Police' it was NOT aimed at the Barbel Society or any other barbel organisation. It was aimed at any individual, whether a member of any barbel organisation or not, who has the attitude that all barbel anglers should fish 'traditionally', whether they like it or not.

C

Chris Pearson

Can I make a suggestion please.

Given that I think we are all agreed that a little guidance is required for SOME people occasionally targetting barbel and given that this website is probably visited by more people than the BS website (please correct me if I'm wrong Graham/Steve) rather than critique the existing BS Handling Code on here, which I really don't think is appropriate, why not come up with our own in the hope that a/it will improve on what is already available and b/will hopefully reach a wider audience.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
I think it should be available on every fishing website whether or not it is the BS one or an inhouse one,trouble is the people who read it will be the responsible ones and the people who are not responsible would not read it anyway .
And you are only targetting the people who own or have access too a pc

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Chris wrote: "....this website is probably visited by more people than the BS website (please correct me if I'm wrong Graham/Steve)."

We have coming up to 23,000 registered members and anything from 50,000 to 100,000 unique visitors a month. That's not 'hits' (which are in millions) but figures that relate similarly to a newspaper's reader figures.

If we can decide on a Handling Code that we all agree on I'm quite willing to publish this on FM and make it readily accessible.

So let's have your suggestions please.

C

Chris Pearson

Thanks Graham,given the above figures surely it's worth a try to reach that wider audience.

My suggestion, lets keep it simple with a maximum of about 6 short bullet points focussed purely on what one should do once the fish has been landed with some suggestions as already outlined by MattB in the way of pre-preparation with unhooking mat,forceps,sling and scale.

I really do think that realistically we must accept that some anglers (unfortunately) will want to retain barbel and therefore we should address the safest way of achieving that by offering suggestions as to how keepnets (or other more suitable systems) may be pegged out to minimise any possible fin damage or stress.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
My opinion is that the BS code is 99.9% there and that it would be great if all involved, including FM, supported it.

Difference handling codes codes might just confuse people and might serve to divide us all into groups when really, we all want the same thing.