Fly fishing enthusiast Ghyll head or High Newton?

rich81

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for taking a look. I love my flyfishing and fish rivers lakes and resevoirs for trout. Looking one day to get to scotland for a Salmon.

However this year Im on an expedition to the lake district (near windemere).
Im looking for a days fishing and have heard good things about Ghyll Head and Hign Newton. Is there anyone who can recommend which would be better or anywhere else they recommmend? Im going end of April/begining of may. Any tips also very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rich

Morespiders

Reaction score
Hi Rich, never flyfished them two, but fished Eshthwaite3-4 times from a boat, great days out, superb scenery

irfonminnow

Reaction score
Hi,
At that time of year you should give Ullswater a go. Plenty of wild browns which will take a small nymph or spider readily.
The shore from Pooley Bridge (through car park) where the camping sites are is good. If you're wading watch for the drop-offs, but you'll spot rises easily enough and shouldn't have to wade more than a few feet out to cover fish.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Hi Rich

I agree with Irfon. Ullswater can be really lovely at that time of the year and the wild brownies are much more fun than stockies in a commercial fishery. If it's blowing a hooley you can always go to one of the fisheries you mentioned.