if you dont fish for carp your not proper angler

N

nicholas bray

Has anyone else ever come across specimen carp only anglers who give the you the impression when talking to them that they think if your not fishing for carp your not a proper angler.
I realise that this doesn't reflect all carp anglers just a percentage.
I fished for all sorts of fish last year but not for large carp because of a lack of equipment but i hope that if i do try it next year that i'll not get obsessed with trying to catch one species of fish and will continue with my usual variation of fishing depending on my mood,time of year,weather,etc

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Plenty of them Nicholas. Generally they will have done very little fishing for other species. They will have become instant Carp experts, 'proven' with their top of the range gear and real-tree everything. They will more than likely not be seen out wearing anything but the latest chav fashions. They also drink a lot, especially while fishing.

That's not to say all Carp anglers are like this, some are highly knowledgable and gained lots of experience by fishing for various other species.

matt

Reaction score
I've been a carp addict and recovered.
I've met the kind of people you talk about but there not real fishermen. When it comes to understanding their quary and the environment they live in they will come second best.
Their followers not inovators.

Don't let them wind you up just feel pity.

But don't think you can dabble in big carp fishing and be consistently successful.
And don't underestimate the addictiveness of carp angling If you let it it will grab you by the sphericles and squeeze real hard.

B

BLAM

Whatever floats your boat or blows your skirt up. I must admit to feeling uncertain about kids going from no fishing experience to session carp angling and who subsequently seem to lack a rounded education but each to their own I guess.

Equally there have been a great many innovators in the carp "arena" that have pushed the envelope miles beyond where the floppy hat traditionalists prefer it (whilst they are equally happy to borrow from carp techniques at the same time).

Do what you like doing and don't worry about anybody else -unless this is your paid job of course. For everyone else its supposed to be a hobby and thus fun.

colsmiff

Reaction score
For some reason the kids on my club's junior pool are obsessed with carp. Every weekend over the summer all you can hear are heavy leads hitting the water!
This in a pool which contains roach over 1lb, 2.5lb perch, bream to 4lb, tench over 5lb, not to mention crucians to 2lb as well as a good head of rudd.
I enjoy pulling out the crucians on pole or light waggler and seeing the expressions on their faces!
I think peer-pressure plays a large part, it being macho to haul a lump out of the water, especially if you are in your early-midteens. Unfortunately some people never grow out of that mentality...

N

nicholas bray

Interesting to see that i'm not the only one who has witnessed this kind of attitude.
Secondly i'm definatley no expert on any type of fishing i just like to fish, learn new things and try them out and if anything i've tried is succesful i like to explore that avenue further.
Matt i realise that i probably wont get much success dabling in large carp fishing as my club water seems to be ok but i have heard people comment that at times when the fishing is hard they have fished for as much as 7 long sessions in a row before catching a fish, as i only go once sometimes twice a week for anything between four and 6 hours i wouldn't have the time to set my stall out like some do and anyway I think id get board i like to be getting some action otherwise I't drives me mad in work waiting for my next day out

colsmiff

Reaction score
I have the same limitations on my fishing time, so I try to tailor my sessions to the conditions.
You could always fish a single carp rod and have a bash with another method at the same time, if the rules on your water allow it. If you were to fish a standard carp set-up i.e. bolt rig, then you would have plenty of time to bring in your other rod and then play your carp.
This summer I found the best way to catch carp wasn't to fling leads about, but fish a waggler in the margins around dusk and into the early hours of darkness.

N

nicholas bray

Yes i think i would probably limit any carp fishing to warm summer evenings fishing up to an hour after sunset my club doesn't allow night fishing but it does say in my rule book that you can fish upto an hour after sunset i think this would give me the best chance as that's when a friend of mine seems to catch most of his fish