Bait

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Hello to all again.

Thought I would see if I could tap into the knowledge of the carp boys again.

I used boilies for the first time this year and caught well on them. I landed, Carp, Barble, Bream and Tench on a fairly regular basis. Because of this I plan to use them even more next year, part of the reason is that I plan to have my first propper attempt at carping. I've caught hundereds of the things before but stockies from commercials, I had my first proper carp this year as some of you may remember and I want some more! So I have a couple of bait questions.

I understand there to be two types of boilie from a recent article I read. These being a food type and an attractor type. The best thing I can compare it to in my mind is an attractor type bait is probably a colourfull one which is tasty and full of flavour, I would compare this to a macdonalds. A food type bait would still be tasty, not nessacerrily colourful, but would provide a balanced healthy diet. So this would be say, a plate of chicken and veg?

Am I right in my assumptions/thinking here? Also attractor baits would seem to be for instant results for the fisherman who was moving about a bit on different waters and not having a baiting campaign whereas the food bait was more for somebody who was concentrating on one particular water. Is this right?

I have been using dynamite baits 'source' boilies. I take these to be a food type bait?

Having cleared that up.

Becasuse I plan to use more bait next year I would like to have a go at making my own, the reason for this is the cost of shop bought bait. If you are using even half a kilo a session it would get extreamly expensive. I have recently found a recipie for a couple of base mixes detailed in an article on the barble fishing world site. This article can be found in the articles section under modern barble baits.

http://www.barbel.co.uk/

From reading the article it seems it would involve considerable outlay in money terms at the start but it would result in lots of cheap, quality, bait.

Assuming I buy all of the ingrediants in to make one of the base mixes, which do you think would make the best all round/most versitile bait for all manner of species and why? The choice of the three in the article is between liver/birdfood birdfood/fish and fish.

So say I mow have my base mix made and ready to go. Now I'm really stuck, I havent a clue as to what sort of things I should be adding to the base mix in order to create a boilie, not a scooby. I would immagine a flavour and a colouring would be a start along with some eggs but surley there must be more to it than that?

I know theres a lot of questions there but any shoves in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation
Paul

amot

Reaction score
try premier baits mate ive used there bio peche for years with the tuna and sardine flavouring its a good bait at the right price, last time i ordered it was ?200 for 45kilo + 1kilo bottom hookbaits and half a kilo of pop ups its a basic fishmeal mix but ive found if you talk to the guy you can add extras to the mix good ones ive found are robin red or liver powder and it doesnt cost that muuch extra.there other base mixes r worth a look to like the matrix.premier were one of the first companys to start and originators of fishmeal baits i started in 83 and have used there baits consistently there aminos caught me many fish.the reason for me telling u this is that i grew up in the make your own bait years and unless you buy the right bait making gear i.e compressed air guns large rolling tables industrial mixers etc it takes forever to roll 10 kilo of bait,there were three of us making bait with all the right equiptment and when we worked it out, the money we were saving worked out at less than a pound an hour i know im on a damn sight more than that at work.hope this helps mate if you decide to go down the make your own rought though i'll try to give you the best help i can

Danny Rose

Reaction score
do you fish the oaks lakes in sessay? because i need a clue on what baits are the best

thanks danny rose :)

amot

Reaction score
dont know who this one was directed at but no mate im a bit further south around notts area but do most of my fishing round northamptonshire, what sort of lake is it stock wise how often r u fishing there can u get to the lake reguarly.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Cheers mate,

i've looked at the Premier baits site and I might well go down that route. If I do I might see if I can get somebody to split the cost for the 45 kilos. Just read Gaffers article on anglers net too which was usefull.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Hi just read that Biopeche is best used for a baiting campaign where you will be putting lots of bait into the water. I think I might need more of an attarctor bait as I will be moving about a lot and I'm not around all of the time to keep bait going in. Also I want to be able to use the bait for tench, bream and barble if possible.

B

Big Rik

rolling your own eats into your time and is a major overhead to consider.

It's fun and very rewarding when it works, but it's a pain.

Most food baits are semi-attractor anyway nowadays, and there are a fair few knocking out reasonably priced ready rolled freezer baits.

Quality baits at ?5 a kilo rolled is pretty fair.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Have a practice with a pre made base mix. You use Sorce the base mix is around ?7 a bag. Tried the making baits myself and found the time taken not worth the savings. As Rik says shop around there are some good deals out there.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
particles can be just as good if combined with boilies and it also gives more scope for hookbaits ie corn tigers tares etc etc and it works out very cheap compared to an all boilie approach.

All species of fish will be attracted to your bait because of the small food particles if you really wanted to keep cost down just use a p.v.a bag or stringer of boilies.

I have heard of named anglers selling there free boilies to fund there hemp and tigers!!!

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Thanks for advice guys.

Its looking like not a very good option then. By the looks of it I may be bast investing in some premier baits matrix as this seems to come at a reasonable price if you buy a reasonable ammount.

Does anyone have any experiance of this bait? I cant see any reason why it wouldnt be just as effective for barble/bream/tench if I am missing somthing obvious could somebody point it out!

Benny I do plan on using lots of hemp/particles as well. I always use lots of hemp for most of my fishing. I thought it best to have a good scattering of boilies in there as well, just to give them a taster.

S

Sage

I have been using CC Moore Meteor base mix this year. 12.5Kg plus 1 ltr of bait dip for ?78 inc p&p. Works out to less than ?6 per kilo. To make it worth while you do have to invest in a decent bait gun and rolling table. The advantage is that you can have baits of any size and shape...and as Rik says there is added satisfaction when you catch that big 'un :)

W

William Spencer

rolling your own is a must.you can have overflavoured hookers for a start,create your own bouyant bottom baits-roughly 70% base mix to 30%pop up mix(this may vary from manufacturer)tweak your own pop ups with cork or poly ball.
sage.not used cc moore but the source,maple 8,retail at around 60 quid for a ten kilo bucket.ten kilo of base canbe made to roll about 15-16 kilo of bait.yep the kitchen stinks.
if you do roll your own,after boiling tip your boilies into a bowl and sprinkle a spoon of betaine over the baits,the heat of the baits will dissolve the betaine into the surface of the boilie.