Carp rigs

B

Bernard Beebe

Hi
I've got Braid line,Whiplash, find it very good IF I could stay out of tanges on the rig end.I use a power rig then an hair but the hair keeps raping around the power rig no matter how long I make it when casting,the reson I use a power rig is because I was told you need one because thers no give in braid this stops you pulling the hook out ect CAN YOU PLEASE HELP with any ideas I would be really Grateful. Thanks Bernard.

P

Philip Inzani

Hi Bernard, dont know about the others but I don't know what a power rig is...Can you describe it ? Loads of rigs work with braid regardless of what someone may have told you.

I am making some big guesses here but you seem to be saying that you are increasing the length of the hair to stop tangles....you need to do it the other way round. The shorter the hair the less likly it is to wrap round the hook or hooklink.

C

Carp Angler

I think there's a lump of power gum tied in there somewhere....
Bernard, are you using braid on the reel aswell or just for a hooklength?

B

Bernard Beebe

A big HI to you BOTH.
Thanks for the response.I have got braid strait to the reel and then a bit like you said, its a peace of power gum thats all ready made up about a foot long, a loop at both ends 2 ledger stops 1 about 6inches from the bottom and the other about 4inch above that,then a ledger clip in the middle so its easy to change the ledger ect.This is supposed to stop you (me) from pulling the hook out or snapping the hair rig. Can I ask you both if you had the photos taken after you read my message HaHa (you've both got big smiles). I think that some one has told me a load of ?, never mind, I have this feeling and belive that you both will put me straght on this. I hope you can understand what I ment and what it looks like.
Anyway thanks again and Im looking forward to seeing your answer.
Take care, Bernard.

C

Carp Angler

I've seen these bungees before, they are sold by Vale Angling for their feeder braid to act as a shock absorber.

I can't say that I agree with them and I definitely don't agree with a leger stop above the lead.

Onto the tangling, I'm assuming you are using tubing above the rig, to stop the braid from lifting scales off of the fish during the fight,(if not then you should be), this will also cure you tangling problem.

P

Philip Inzani

I agree with Carp on the ledger stop. Being totally honest I would basically chuck the whole lot in the bin and start from scratch. Take a look in any of the regular Carp mags or features on this site and I am sure you will find some tried and trusted rigs that work. Failing that just get yourself 12 inches of Kryston SnakeXXX tie a size 8 swivel at one end, knotless knot your prefferred hook at the other and strip back about an inch of coating above the hook eye and on the hair. Semi fix a lead either in line or pendant style (hanging down), put a bit of tubeing on the line above it thats a bit longer than the hook length and that will catch you Carp anywhere.

Good luck.

B

Bernard Beebe

To Philip & Carp.
Thank you both for all the advice, the bin men have been so that out of the way and I will definitely give it ago with the snakeXXX Philip and the way you have explained the way to set it up. I can see theres two good resons why I should be using the tubing Carp, I now know and did'nt realize that this sort of line was harmfull to the fish in that way. So this will definitely be sorted out before I go fishing again.
Again A BIG THANK YOU to you BOTH for your help and your time.
Take care, Bernard.

R

Roto fryer

you can also buy yourself a book called the beekay guide to carp rigs it wil help you a lot if you are not sure about things.
thing is you have to give more dosh to km!!

D

Darren King

there is also a very good book available from korda developments, with articles from every tom, ****, harry and danny fairbrass(!) under the sun. Full of rig diagrams, and tips. Rigs for all conditions, all rigs are SAFE, and best of all, its only ?5.95!! or visit my website:- www.darrenscarppage.freehosting.net, im currently working on a large rigs section!

B

Bob Watson

Korda developments also do underwater DVD's so you can see how rigs behave.

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Whats going on with people resurecting old thread's? Seems to be happening a lot at the moment!

B

Big Rik

people bored in the middle of the night and some of he older Q's weren't about what's the next wonder bait, best rod etc.

Some good questions back then if you have a dig....

F

Frothey

but then you actually have to think about what you're doing.....

Emlyn Forbes

Reaction score
hi can anyone give me any tips on catching pressured carp as i am going to stanwick lakes soon.thanks