The biggest selling angling book of all time!

R

Ron Clay

I am referring the "The Compleat Angler" by Isaac Walton. Often when I am feeling in a certain mood I put up my feet, grab a whisky and soda and read a chapter form dear old Isaac.

Don't laugh, I suggest you do the same.

There was more to this man than the fact that he may have been a plagiarist, lecherous milkmaid ogler and a miserable old sourpuss.

WEhat do you think of Walton?

D

Del Jarman

Does Rons discription of Issac remind anybody of someone close to us on this site?

D

Davy North

I've read the Compleat Angler, and although it can be hard going with the poems and songs in 17th century grammar and wording, it does show that there's not much new in angling.

I was amazed to see the use of cheese paste (with flavoring), adding oils to dead bait for pike, heavy ground baiting for bream, and using small sweet balls of paste for carp (early boilies perhaps).

Mind you it's funny to read how they thought nature worked. As an example he wasn't sure how pike get into a water, but he thought they were formed from weed? Strange but very interesting.

R

Ron Clay

Aye and that ye eels came form out of ye prutrifactionne of ye earth.

D

David Will

I used to be in Fred Crouchs Barbel Group the ABE.We used to have a tape sent out to each member with stories , questions for Fred etc.For a few months Fred used to read to us from Compleat Angler.It was only then that I realised the worth of a fast forward button!I think Fred is a top fellow but he will never get a job on play for today .:)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Ayndde Prithhee lyften my frenddef and fellow gooded brotherrse of ye angle.

I propofef aye Ifaac Walton day thif fummer. I wille sette aye daytte fommetyme in Julye when we canne all meetethe bye ye rivere. There firfst to synge ye ditties and tayke part in Morrif Dancing. After that we shalle partaketh of ye meade and ye ayle at a local aylehousse.

Thenne it if backke to ye rivere for a guddgeon matche forsooth.

What thynkke ye honeft scholars?

Tif a mattche!!

Windy

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron Clay wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I am referring the "The Compleat Angler" by Isaac Walton.
</blockquote>

Sorry, I thought you meant the Bible....

keora

Reaction score
I've never fancied reading it, despite having a big collection of angling books.

I've read a few extracts from Compleat Angler in various angling anthologies and that was enough to put me off the book for ever.

Reaction score
yeah Ron, a moft capital idea,forsoothe I may fet a date in the almanac for joyning thee in faid merriement. prithee hath thee received worde from other brotherf and fifter of the angle?

Pofherf

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Never trust anthologies. There's a poet called Thomas Hood, master of the groaning pun (when someone died -"they went and told the verger, and the verger tolled the bell", for a taster) - who only gets anthologised for his mawkish Victorian pot-boilers - no hint of the man of fun is allowed through the anthologizer's filter of good taste. Dip yer beak in the real thing and take yer fill.

With boldness and disarming honesty, Walton offers us "Chapter six* - of nothing, or nothing worth" - which modern readers would prefer as "about nothing much, and worth the same" - yet, of course , he deemed it worth bothering to write! How can anyone resist at least a peep into such a work?

(But skip, if you will, the first part of chapter one, where he's recommending fishing by putting down hawking and hunting. Much as the Boke of St Albans starts, actually, and no more interesting!)

I really like the idea of an Izaak Walton day. Would it have to be officially sanctioned by the head honcho atWinchester Cathedral?

* I think. Too tired to go upstairs & check!

Emmo (Angling Trust)

Reaction score
I did read once that the title is The Compleat Angler but the header on each page is spelled The Complete Angler. Cant remember where I read it though may have been in my reprint copy from the Cambridge Press. (Not got it here so cannot check)

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I`m sure i read somewhere or have heard it said on tv,that "Mr crabtree goes fishing " was the best selling sports based book of all time and "The compleat angler" is the fourth best selling book in the english language ???

I do have a copy of Crabtree,a 1950`s edition if my memory serves me correct (it`s tucked away with other fishing books up in the loft) .I found it at the bottom of a tatty old fishing basket,with various old and redundant fishing odds and sods,at a car boot sale a good few years ago.The seller wanted the princely sum of 10p for it /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif!!!

I have seen theborras and palmerseries,based on isaac`s book but have never actually read it.Although i do enjoy history etc.... all that greensleves and hey nonny stuff does tend to get on my jollops after a while.

I`m i just an uncultured cave man ???

NIGE K

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Emmo (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I did read once that the title is The Compleat Angler but the header on each page is spelled The Complete Angler. Cant remember where I read it though may have been in my reprint copy from the Cambridge Press. (Not got it here so cannot check)</blockquote>the original titlewas spelled wrongly by the publisher but it was kept in all the various reprints of the book but the headers were changed and spelled correctly.

Maggie

Reaction score
Someone on our clubs forum showed us this link: Old Downloadable Fishing Books theres a couple of editions of the Compleat Angler there as well, You can read these books online and some ofthem can be legally downloaded in PDF format. thoughtthis might be of interest to anyone elseinterested in old and ancient angling books.

M

mark norris (ACA)

Yes, I have read and have to chuckle a bit when they sit under a tree on near Tottenham high cross!

Try it now and you will get mugged or sit on a used hypo needle

Keith M

Reaction score
Mark I dont think it's changed much particularly on the river Lea according to the Book : The London Anglers Book: Or Waltonian Chronicle - published in 1834 Which is one of the books that Maggies shortcut above points to. According to this you have to shout “LAW!” each time you want a pee, otherwise you chance getting your throat cut.

Extract from above book:

‘BOBBERS LAW’

There is a rule or law practiced by the London Anglers, particularly those who fish in the Lea, which is that of waiting for any of their party that may drop in the rear, it arose from the following circumstance:

Some years since several Anglers were proceeding on a trolling excursion to a favourite spot at some distance from London, up the Lea river, when it happened that one of them, without being observed by the rest, loitered behind, and his absence was not discovered till they had travelled a considerable way; they waited in hopes their companion would overtake them, but his not coming up,they halloo’d and called him by name, but received no answer, alarmed for his safety, they retraced their steps, when to their utter astonishment and horror, they found him quite dead, with his throat cut from ear to ear, and robbed of every thing he posessed; it is supposed he staid behind for a natural purpose, and was attacked and murdered while in a defenceless position. Since this lamentable occurance, if an Angler has occasion to stop, he has only to call out the word, “Law,” and the whole party wait till it is convenient to continue the journey.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I would seriously doubt that the best selling fishing book is "The Compleat Angler" in fact I would almost bet money on it.

Does "Moby ****" count as a fishing book? This one has sold so many Graham has had to buy a bigger wallet. Chris Yates, Bob Nudd, John Wilson, John Bailey and not forgetting dear old Bernard Venables, all must have sold more and most certainly more readable books.