Not Very PC

Matt Brown

Reaction score
At the weekend Bob and I were dicussing how the angling media in this country doesn't attract advertisers from outside of fishing.

I was arguing that I thought there was scope for outside advertisers to be brought in, therefore bringing extra money into the sport.

Bob was saying that the image of angling in this country was such that advertisers prefer to steer clear - unlike in the States, for instance.

So, reading through this week's AT I spot a full page Chevy advert, for their Station Wagon. I thought - ha ha - I am victorious!

Then I read the tagline;

"The Chevrolet Station Wagon. We didn't design if just for sporty people. It's also for landing nets, bait boxes, gaff rods and beach casters."

Gaff rods? Oh dear!

Obviously, any advertiser that would publish such an un-PC advert has no idea of the state of play in the UK, thereby proving me wrong and Bob right!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I guess the idea of gaffs is a bit USA in origin. Gaffs are still used a fair bit in some sea angling circumstances world wide were all fish are killed.

K

Kevin Perkins 3

Matt

I made a few comments on this very ad, and a couple of others in an article a few weeks ago called 'Advertise-Meant'(sorry can't do link thingy!)

Might just be re-visiting the subject of adverts again in the not too distant future......!

Regards

Kevin

K

Kevin Perkins 3

Adrian

Thankyou, I just write the things, I never expect to have to go back to them!

Regards

Kevin

W

Wolfman Woody

Well I suppose if gaffs are so very un-pc now I'd better invest in a decent barbel net after all.

jackmaster

Reaction score
I didn't know anybody still read the comics anymore,I take it AT and AM are still going. ps where are the emoticons when you need them.