Stunning Floats

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Just browsing the world of angling blogs and found this one:

Handmade Fishing Floats By Andrew Field

I have too many floats of just about every design but I'm very tempted to have some of these. The little touches, including the use of feathers is superb. But how would I react when I lose one!

A

alan whittington

Ive seen these Neil,gorgeous arent they,trouble is they are so beautiful that i think i'd have them in a glass case rather than use them,morespiders made me some lovely goose quills(mainly reversed,but beautiful also)and i cant wait to get to use them,its unlikely to be till March now,as im on the rivers.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Andrew's floats are indeed little works of art, I have a fair few of them including one of his excellent float boxes.

The floats are made to be used, and yes, sometimes you lose one but that pales into insignificance when compared to the joy of actually using one. I match mine to an Avon MkIV split cane rod and an old Aerial reel . . . . . Magic, pure magic!

chav professor

Reaction score
These trully are objects of desire!!!! I havent checked with Andrews Floats, but Paul Cook (another accomplished float maker) has an 18 month waiting list. I WANT FLOATS WITH KINGFISHER FEATHERS NOW!!!!!!!:mad:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Objects of desire. I don't think I could use one because I'd knacker it in minutes but they are beautiful to look at.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Skill in any form is to be admired but this is beyond just skill-its an art form.....still,my efforts in floatmaking still disappear beneath the surface from time to time.....

Spent this afternoon painting some reverse wagglers(made as a result of some excellent info offered by several FM'ers some months ago)and once varnished will do the job just as well...........................................but......

Reaction score
Beautiful floats... a great find Neil,

But I have far too many already and these are so beautiful I'm not sure I could bare the pain of losing one.

The closest I have in my collection, quality-wise, are some early topper floats... and you've guessed it; I can't bring myself to use them! :)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Skill in any form is to be admired but this is beyond just skill-its an art form.....still,my efforts in floatmaking still disappear beneath the surface from time to time.....

Spent this afternoon painting some reverse wagglers(made as a result of some excellent info offered by several FM'ers some months ago)and once varnished will do the job just as well...........................................but......

But what? Tee cee........

chav professor

Reaction score
I'm sure andrew could knock up a few with parrot feathers - might apeal to the pirate in you:D

I know what you mean though - Apparently Posh spice (of Beckam fame) bought a dimond encrusted ,umm, bedroom toy!! makes you think doesn't it. Equally pointless.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Superb floats, roughly how much do they cost?
I just asked him and simple designs are around £7.50 each. More complicated ones more, of course.

The feathers in some cases are quite rare which adds to the cost. His varnish he tells me is his own secret mix and he made one when he first started and stuck in his guttering, each year he takes it out and it's still good. Each floats takes up to 3 weeks and the slightest flaw can send it to the bin.

He also says "I have made floats for John Bailey among others & they seem to get on well with them (they keep coming back for more) I have seen a chap on the river wye trot for roach with one of my fluted avons to 150 yards!!"

I have asked him if he'd like to put a few words together for FM, but my guess is he's much too busy. I am now very sorely tempted to buy .........

---------- Post added at 22:56 ---------- Previous post was at 22:55 ----------

some early topper floats...
Those with the pale blue bodies, ****y?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Posh Spice is pointless...never mind her diamond encrusted whatever !

Do some with a little skull & crossbones and I'm interested. In every other respect they are lovely floats & beautifully finished...up there with the the very best I've seen and there are some very good floatmakers out there. I am in complete awe of the craftmanship if not the cheesy "signature" .

What ? So the feather actually adds to the price ? OMG !

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
I'm ordering some tomorrow, I've been dribbling over the keyboard, do you think he might do a FM discount? Sorry S-kippy, I am having the ones with the kingfisher feathers - they are rather special. Some for the cabinet (feathers), some for the float box!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I know what you mean though - Apparently Posh spice (of Beckam fame) bought a dimond encrusted ,umm, bedroom toy!! makes you think doesn't it. Equally pointless.

Are you sure you didn't get the wrong end of the stick when she said she used a couple of carats?

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:41 ----------

I just asked him and simple designs are around £7.50 each. More complicated ones more, of course.

Not too bad for an item that is totally handmade. I don't suppose using 50lb braid would help with presentation though, well you wouldn't want to lose it would you?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Andrew's floats range from around £7.50 to about £12.50 depending on type and size.

Like most things you get what you pay for, if you don't like feathers then don't buy them.
Oh yes, you can also have your own name put on them as well.

Personally I am more than happy to pay for and to use them whenever I can.

Last edited: