Rig tube, I need help

C

Chris Bishop

I know, crawl to the carp forum when you need advice. How do you get three boilies on treble etc.

Seriously, I want to use some thin tubing to protect the last couple of feet of line on a running leger rig for *pike fishing*.

But being a ham fisted four-eyed pike angler, I can't thread the braid through it. How do you lot manage, I know some carp rigs use tube for fishing over bars etc; which is more or less what I want to do.

Any hints...?

E

EC

What guitar do you use Dave?

Chris a pole threader is a thin piece of wire about a metre long which you push through your pole tip section, then attach your elastic, draw it back through so your elastic is now through the pole!

So, some thin wire (trace wire?) push thro tube, attach line/braid pull back through* tube!

*Remove sharp objects in case of the need to stab wife/child/dog/neighbour when it comes apart half way through!

F

Frothey

i play the guitar whilst watching someone else try and use a pole threader LOL!

just thread the pole threader through the tubing - being stiff it normally goes through fairly easily - put the braid through the loop, i usually pull a few yards through the loop so theres plenty of slack, and pull the threader back through. warming the tubing up in hot water can help with some tubing.

i normally have a couple ready threaded in the tacklebox as you dont really wanto to be doing it at night with cold hands.

F

Frothey

an epi zakk wylde custom, replaced the pickups with emg 81/85's and the tuners with grover locking ones. just couldnt ever thread a strat through......

if you get .008 gauge strings and double them back they work quite well.....

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
I have found Diamond eye threaders next to useless for threading on rig tube Chris. The internal diamiter of the rig tube is not big enough to fit the 'diamond' on the diamond eye through it. I would suggest threading mono though the rig tube and then tying it to the braind and pulling th braid back through.

Or what about using leadsore instead?

S

sash

As Paul said mate, thread some mono through, tie it to the braid (simple granny knot so that the knot stays small) and pull.

C

Chris Bishop

No what does one of them do Sash. Sounds a bit hi-tech. I need to put about three feet of it on the end of me line, whatever I use.

F

Frothey

its a kryston product HERE

think its a bit abrasive against the fish though.

maybe i use thin tubing, but i could never get a granny knot to pull back through without slipping?

S

sash

Not as abrasive as a wire trace though Dave!

What is it for Chris? To protect against snags?

John Frankland

Reaction score
I use a length of doubled over mono (~12lb BS); thread the folded end through the tubing, put the braid through the fold when it comes out the other end, then pull back.

Knots in mono generally don't work for this.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Chris - why do you need to use tubing. With heavy line (15lb Kryston) its usually stiff enough, especially when used with relatively heavy baits not to tangle.

I'm intreaged...

G

Gary Knowles 2

Maybe, but I've used braid for lure fishing for years now and cant remember ever inflicting any damage...